Help

Future Teachers

Classroom HELP!

>

imakangaroo

Classroom HELP!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Could anyone help with some classroom management ideas. My students are fairly good with it except they are now testing me to see if they can push my buttons for example they call me by my first name rather then my professiona name, which they all know what is the correct name to address me by. Any ideas are greatly appreaciated!

imakangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

elandi6

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The nature of a lot of kids is to see how much they can really get away with. For my kids, once my eyebrows go up, they know I mean serious business. Sometimes, it really only takes a look. However, I have noticed that some students don't really care. Sometimes if I reach my limit of how much I am willing to accept, I'll stop in the middle of what I am saying and just address the entire class to let them know that I am not okay with those actions and that it's disrespectful to me as a teacher and themselves as students to act in such a way. I also inform them that they will be changing colors if it continues, and I actually change colors when it does. It may seem a little harsh at first, but it works for me when trying to establish the rules. Other than that, I like praising the students who are following the rules by calling them out. "I love how Sally is calling me Ms. Jones!" or "I love that Johnny is sitting quietly working on his assignment."
elandi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmgrider75

Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One suggestion I can think of is calling the students Mr. Miss. when called on in class to show respect to them. In return the students will appricate being called this and understand why it is important to call you by your correct name. Explain to students that when they go to a doctors office and other professionals they use the correct term out of respect for their hard work. I hope this was helpful for you! Good Luck!
kmgrider75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mister_J

My experience
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is a problem I have too. And it certainly doesn't help when your school requires you to wear a nametag with your first and last name. My suggestion is to just ignore them if they call you by your first name. Don't respond, don't answer. Once they understand that its not allowed they'll see you as more of an authority figure which will make classroom management a breeze.

Hope this helps! Remember, be friendly to students but don't be their friend
Mister_J is offline   Reply With Quote

imakangaroo

Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much! These are all very helpful!

imakangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote