Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Kindergarten to Pre K switch

>

acannonnw

Kindergarten to Pre K switch
Old 05-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

okay so I just found out that I'm switching from Kindergarten to Pre K...any major differences? any advice? Just trying to get a handle on it before I start really delving/planning for the upcoming school year..

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

HUGE difference.

Immaturity. That's a given. But at the end of 4K, you will see the huge difference! They come in as toddlers and leave as kindergarten students.

Depending on where you are, the children may or may not have previous school or daycare experience. Sharing, taking turns, raising your hand, walking in a line, paying attention, following directions (listening to directions!), listening to a story are all new, new, new. The first few weeks can seem like absolute chaos. It gets better.

They have shorter attention spans, so until you get used to them, plan SHORT and HIGHLY motivating activities. I do not use board books, but think shorter stories at first. Keep your rules and directions simple. They do best with a consistent routine. Know that as the day goes by they get tired and cranky. Many do not know how to play. So, you actually need to TEACH them how to play, change centers and clean up. Teaching self monitoring, executive function kinda stuff is important.

Have fun and be silly!
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote
Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 05-31-2014, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As usual, Valone has great advice. Having a strong routine will keep things flowing. Prek students NEED structure. Be prepared for some of them to break things. Every year, I've had at least one thing broken a month. Some four year olds are rough and some just don't understand how to communicate. They're more whinier than kinder. Also, I feel there's been a big raise in biters. Nip that in the bud or you will end up with a class of them.