Help

Third Grade

ahh I got the job!

>

marshe

ahh I got the job!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got a new job in third grade! I chose to leave my current school and first grade position due to personal reasons; but now the anxiety has set in about leaving a school/grade that was I good at and knew really well.

Anyone else been in the same boat? I didn't make a mistake right??

Tell me some great things about third grade, please!

marshe is offline   Reply With Quote

thing1thing2

Yeah!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on your new start! If change is what you needed, you did the right thing. You'll find 3rd graders are a little more mature, can enjoy a good conversation and love challenges. They still enjoy good read alouds, want to please their teacher, and can generally work well alone or in small groups.

3rd is a Testing grade, but, if you monitor your students throughout the year and cover units well, you'll ensure the exposure to content needed to have a chance at performing their personal best.

There are many great threads that give book suggestions, unit ideas, and even classroom management strategies here for 3rd graders.

Enjoy your new position and the new outlook on teaching. I hope you have a fabulous year!
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

marshe

Thank you
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I appreciate your thoughts!

bookworm472

Fabulous
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Third grade is fabulous! They are still young, love learning, and want to please their teacher, but they can tie their shoes, blow their nose, and complete many things in small groups or independently. (Plus the hormones are not flying yet!)

I was very nervous when moving to 3rd, but I absolutely love it. They still need a lot of modeling new content, they still like hands on activities, and they love read alouds!

As for the testing, 3rd grade is usually the start of testing. My suggestion is to look at sample questions and use those as samples when creating questions throughout the year. All the reading, math, writing strategies we teach them are what they need for the test, but they also need to be used to the format of it.

Also, stick with this board, there are some teachers with great advice on here! Good luck! I hope you love it as much as I do.
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Welcome to Third Grade
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This age is wonderful. They truly are a joy to teach! I should know I have taught preschool through high school and third and fourth graders are my favorite.

This board is full of knowledgeable teachers who are will to help. If you need help this year just come to this PT source. We are here to assist.

Third grade is more about comprehension than decoding in reading. Here is a great link to get you started thinking in that direction.
http://reading.ecb.org/teacher/index.html?login=

Math is review of place value, addition and subtraction. Then the big deal is multiplication in third grade. They also learn division as reverse multiplication facts. The other big change in my opinion is solving word problems. Now they can be any of the four operations and it takes critical thinking for a third graders to decide which operation to use after reading the problem. The students need lots of modeling, guiding and practice to improve this type of problem solving.

It is a year to really grow as an independent learner. So, model, guide and then release the responsibility to them as much as possible. That way they will be ready for fourth grade. Brag on them about how grown up and independent they are becoming. Most will respond by working harder. They are excited about being more grownup.

This age is still sweet and loving but usually not clingy. They tie their own shoes. If they can not, I suggest you have a peer help teach them! They can put on their own band aids. They do not cry often and they rarely if ever wet their pants. (I had it happen once in 10 years) This independence allows you to teach more and "mother" less. I love this aspect!

Best wishes for a great school year.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Best grade ever :)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with everything that has been posted. Third graders are at that perfect age where they are more independent without raging hormones and attitude. They can carry on great conversations and are creative thinkers. The one thing I thought of when reading the other posts is that they are more independent readers ready for comprehension strategies. But if you have some who struggle with reading,well, you already have tricks for that You will love third grade!
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

marshe

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much!