trasie

Itís August! Whatís Everyone Reading?
Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 AM

Time to share those July books!

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 AM

The Song of the Jade Lily by Kirsty Manning
Historical fiction about Jewish refugees who fled to Shanghai during WWII. I had heard nothing about this. It was good but not great.

American Predator by Maureen Callahan
True crime about serial killer, Isaac Keyes. I hadn’t even heard about him but he was one scary guy, hiding “kill kits” throughout the U.S. and murdering strangers based on opportunity. Read this but be prepared to be looking over your shoulder!

The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger
Contemporary fiction about what level parents would stoop to trying to get their children enrolled into a school for gifted students. Good read!

The Night Olivia Fell by Christina McDonald
Psychological thriller. Pregnant teenager, Olivia, falls off a bridge which leaves her brain dead and is hospitalized until she gives birth. Olivia’s mom, Abi, takes it upon herself to find out if the fall was accidental and who fathered the baby. Twisty and good.

Shamed by Linda Castillo
Police procedural mystery. #11 in Castillo’s Kate Burkholder series.
Who was responsible for the brutal murder of an Amish grandmother and the kidnaping of her grandmother? Great story! I won this as an arc but loved it so much that I put the previous 10 books on my tbr list! Each book can definitely stand alone though.

I am currently reading Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly and City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert.

And now that I’m retired the reading can go on and on and on...or not. Whoohoo!

Last edited by trasie; 08-01-2019 at 11:48 AM..

anonymouse

Say Nothing
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM

I am listening to Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. It's about the sectarian violence in Northern Ireland from the 60s to the 90s and it centers around the IRA murder of a widowed mother of 11 children. I swear somebody on PT recommended it. It's a fascinating, troubling book.

I'm also listening to Mistress of the Ritz, which was definitely recommended by someone here on PT.

I'm reading Emma by Alexander McCall Smith. It's a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Emma. I really like it so far.

Up next is Becoming Dr. Seuss by Brian Jay Jones.

I also have a bunch of Rhys Bowen Her Royal Spyness mysteries for when I need something light.

I love my library!!!

Trasie, I loved Hidden Figures. Have you seen the movie?
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Here's a mix of recently read, currently reading, and on my nightstand waiting for me:

Adequate Yearly Progress- written by English teacher turned novelist, it takes place in a high school (I think)

Naked- one of the 3 David Sedaris books I've not read yet

Restart- YA book by Gordon Kormann (sp?)- MS bully gets amnesia from a concussion and doesn't recall his bullying past or anything else

Something Must be Done About Prince Edward County- A non fiction title about the county in VA that closed its schools' doors for 2+ years instead of integrating them. It was difficult for me to read bc it stirred up my fierce beliefs regarding education for all and how far we still have to go.

Game Changer- Donalyn Miller's latest all about making literacy accessible for all- I wore out my highlighter marking this one up, as it gave me so many ideas and so much affirmation!

Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone books have been my "book candy" this summer- easy to read, funny, and a couple twists along the way
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

books
Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM

The Gone Dead, by Chanelle Benz. A young woman returns to the small town in the south where her father died thirty years ago. She doesn't remember what happened, and when she starts talking to people old troubles are stirred up. Could hardly put it down.

The Book of Dreams, by Nina George. Holy cow, this one worked it's way straight to my heart and sat on it. War-reporter Henri is on his way to meet the son he hasn't seen in years when he gets into an accident. The novel alternates between Henri's thoughts while he's in a coma, and his son and former girlfriend who come to visit him. I'm not doing this description justice - it's just good and heartbreaking and wonderful. I couldn't pick up another book for a few days after this one.

First: Sand Day O'Conner, by Evan Thomas. She's incredible. I knew she was amazing and this book just confirms it. Well-written, insightful - I wish she was still on the court.

The Lager Queen of Minnesota, by J. Ryan Stradal. Oh, how I loved this one too! Took it to the beach with me and finished it in two days - it's delightful. Family story about a decision that splits up two sisters, and how their families' lives unfold. It's just so good - put in on hold at the library right now. Seriously.

** Anonymouse - I listened to Say Nothing last month. Such a good book!

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

book
Old 08-01-2019, 09:00 AM

I'm reading The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami, author of The Other Americans that amiga had recommended. It is historical fiction written from the viewpoint of a Moroccan slave who arrives with his master and other conquistadores in search of gold in the New World. I'm about 1/3 in and I really like it.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 08-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Just finished The Chain- once your child is kidnapped you need to kidnap someone elseís child to get yours back.

Just starting Ask Again, Yes!
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Books
Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM

I just finished Abandoned by Allison Brennan. It was the 5th in a series about an investigative reporter named Maxine Revere and her search for what happened to her mother who abandoned her. It had a lot of twists and turns, and although it was the 5th in a series and I had not read the others, the author gave enough backstory that you would not need to have read the others. Loved it, a great psychological thriller.

I am reading The Summer Guests by Mary Alice Monroe. She writes beachy books set in the south, usually on the sea islands of the Charleston area. This time, there is a hurricane coming and a set of characters convene on a farm in NC to ride it out. I'm not too far into it, but I like it so far. One of her characters, Cara Rutledge, has been in other books, so I like that connection carried through.

Finally, today I lucked into checking out Surfside Sisters by Nancy Thayer. it is about the reunion of friends who must reconcile old secrets and personal wounds in their relationships. It just came out recently, so I am very lucky that it was there because I knew I wanted to read it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 AM

The Chaperone, by Laura Moriarty (I think someone here recommended it!) about a woman who chaperones Louise Brooks in NYC as an adolescent on her rise to fame. The book follows Coraís life all the way thru her death and was an interesting look at life in the 20ís.

Iíve read a few juvenile fiction books I really enjoyedó

Where the Watermelons Growóabout a 12 yo girl who lives on a farm and feels like her motherís psychological issues are up to her to fix. Heartbreaking, but good.

Ban this Book by Alan Gratz, about a 4th grader whose school starts banning books, so she runs a library thru her locker so others can read these books. Loved it!!
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Laura Ingalls Wilder
Old 08-01-2019, 10:08 AM

After reading another post on PT recently, I set upon a binge read of different works about Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read Caroline, by Sarah Miller.

I will start Prairie Fires today.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

books
Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Read (part of) "Bridge of Clay" for book club and couldn't get through it. I was disappointed since "The Book Thief" is one of my favorites.

Just finished "The Gifted School" a fun beachy read about a very timely subject.

Currently reading "Daddy Long-Legs" an YA epistolary novella (one of my favorite genres) written in 1912

For those who enjoyed "Gentleman in Moscow", "Rules of Civility" by the same author is available for kindle right now for $1.99
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-01-2019, 10:36 AM

I recently finished Where the Crawdad’s Sing. Great book!

Almost done with The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus . A fascinating story about the deadly virus.

Waiting for two books to come up on reserve at the library:
Furiously Happy: {a funny book about horrible things}
First: Sandra Day O'Connor
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Undercurrent by Nora Roberts

Just started but I like Nora Roberts when I'm in the mood for an easy summer mystery with a little romance woven in. It's August so I wanted easy and entertaining.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-01-2019, 11:14 AM

after stuffing my brain with mostly suspenseful thrillers and some YA the first 2/3 of summer, i've moved on to some "brain candy".

someone on a FB group mentioned Broomsticks and Brownies (a 3-book series of a witch baker)--read the first one--was cute and fun (and a mystery--so that was a bonus). i reserved the next two.

i have read all of Sophie Kinsella's books (Shopaholic--and a few others) and enjoyed them all--was in the library the other day thinking i should check if she had a new one out, and she did: I Owe You One. won't win any awards, but cute.

thinking back to what i read earlier in July: Refugee (YA) moved me to tears, and i loved how he tied the stories together!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM

anonymouse, I'm the one who recommended Mistress of the Ritz. Did you like it?

Also read The Gifted School. Fluff, but big yes to the lengths to which the entitled will go.

Four Friends by Cohan was a pretty good bio of 4 doomed boys who attended Andover. One was JFK Jr. I like reading about rich people occasionally.

Baby Teeth by Stage was creepy-creepy-good. Reminded me of The Bad Seed + You.

Guess Who by McGeorge didn’t live up to its beginning. Loved the premise, not the reality.

Now I’m immersed in 2 detective series:
*the Vera Stanhope series by Ann Cleeves (I’m reading The Glass Room and it feels like a contemporary Agatha Christie. The series was recommended to me by my former superintendent. We retired the same year and are email book buddies.)
*the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo (I adore this thoughtful alcoholic detective)

Last edited by amiga13; 08-01-2019 at 12:33 PM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 08-01-2019, 11:29 AM

In July, I read:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Great story but not interesting enough for me to keep going in the series. For those who have continued in the series, should I reconsider?

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. good YA novel

Yesterday by Felicia Yap. An interesting mystery about memory.

A Million Little Things by Susan Mallery. Someone recommended something else by her which wasn't available at my library so I got this one. meh

@Pooh Bear. I'm about a quarter of the way through Bridge of Clay but I'm not feeling it. I loved The Book Thief and

Guess Who by Chris McGeorge. An oddly absorbing mystery with a weak ending

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager. This was the best book I read this month. I'll look for more books by this author

The View From Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman. It was okay, a little predictable but engaging enough that I might look for more books by her.

@Pooh Bear. I'm about a quarter of the way through Bridge of Clay but, like you, I'm just not feeling it. I'm a little sad because I loved The Book Thief and I Am The Messenger. If you haven't read that last one, give it a try.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Amiga
Old 08-01-2019, 12:28 PM

I do like it. I'm about 6 chapters in so far. I love WW2 stories.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Brad Meltzer
Old 08-01-2019, 12:30 PM

I am enjoying his Inner Circle series so far. Lots of intrigue. Reminds me of Dan Brown books.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks Green Bunny, I will try ďI am the MessengerĒ.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

anonymouse
Old 08-01-2019, 01:05 PM

I haven’t seen the movie, Hidden Figures. I had forgotten that that was made into a movie. Thanks for the reminder. Now I wonder where I can find it.

And I love my library, too!❤️

Eccj

July
Old 08-01-2019, 02:29 PM

The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister’s Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine-This was a fascinating read. I loved every paragraph!
Cross Her Heart- mystery thriller
The Other Boleyn Girl- I read this first about twelve years ago. If you haven’t read it, it is a great historical fiction book.

Last edited by Eccj; 08-02-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Hidden Figures
Old 08-01-2019, 02:47 PM

I just read an article saying Nat Geo is going to be making a Hidden Figures tv show. I do not know when it is expected to air.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-01-2019, 04:52 PM

I'm about 2/3 of the way through I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. It's good, but it's long and not super gripping so it's taking me a while.

Daisy Jones & The Six was a pretty good read. Written like an interview with a fictional band. I guess they are making it into a tv series.

I started The Lost Queen by Signe Pike, but didn't finish it.

I also started Dune, but didn't finish it.

And I just started rereading/listening to An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Wanting to get through the series again before the 9th book comes out (hopefully by the end of the year!).
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 PM

I finally read Where the Crawdads Sing. It was so good! I couldn't believe the ending, and the language was so beautiful. I think it will lose a lot as a movie. I can see it being more about the trial and less about the character development and the nuance of the story. You also can't include that beautiful nature description either.

Behind the Beautiful Forever is another one I finished. It is about the slums of Mumbai and is supposed to be narrative non-fiction. It really opened my eyes and I keep coming back to it again and again in my mind--the corruption, the caste system, the living conditions, the religion, etc.

I also read The Tatooist of Auschwitz. I thought it was a good read too. I was somewhat confused on the ending details. Did it really happen that way? (Since it is based on a true story.)

Ask Again, Yes! by Keane is what I am reading now. It is not something I typically read but is a page turner for sure.

Last edited by happygirl444; 08-01-2019 at 06:39 PM..
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 08-01-2019, 07:47 PM

I made it through The Warmth of Other Suns. Was a bit of a struggle for me, but such a great piece of work. The research that went into this book was incredible. It is a non fiction piece chronicling 3 characters as they migrated to different parts of the country to escape the south. She featured different migration routes, beginning southern states and ending locations. It also spanned several decades. It was organized by starting in the southern states, tracing their migration, and then showed how they fared in their new cities.
I believe this should be a required reading.

I am in the middle of We Were the Lucky Ones. It is based on a Polish familyís struggle to survive World War II as they are separated and placed in very different predicaments. This is based on a true story. Iím enjoying it.

Next up for my book group is The Immortalists.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 AM

The Perfect Child was great. Definitely a page turner.

Good Me, Bad Me had an interesting concept but I didnít love the writing style.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-02-2019, 03:33 PM

A Dangerous Act of Kindness by L.P. Ferguson
It was my library's big read. An illicit love story set in rural England during WW2. I really enjoyed it.

The Mother-In-Law by Sally Hepworth
This really kept my interest. Interesting story of family dynamics with an ending I didn't expect.

17 Carnations by Andrew Morton
Story of Duke and Duchess of Windsor of England from first meeting to end of WW2. If you are a big fan of Both WW2 and the royal family this is for you. Otherwise I suggest you pass on this one.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 08-05-2019, 07:56 AM

The last few books I read were:

We Were the Lucky Ones - I enjoyed it - in the same vein with The Nightingale, The Book Thief, etc.

The Gifted School - a few others mentioned it here - I liked it. Reminded me WAY too much of the community where I teach.

Don't Stop Believin'- this is the newest memoir by Olivia Newton-John. It was "meh".

Evvie Drake Starts Over - I'm reading this one now. It's cute so far, but I'm only about 1/4 way through it.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Currently reading:

First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen I'm not far enough in to have an opinion yet.

What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon Nearly done with this one. I've enjoyed it a lot. If you enjoyed the Outlander series, you might like this one.
It has the same time travel device only the time is the 1920's and the Irish War for Independence.

Finished:

The Good Sister by Gillian McAllister This is a well-written book but I just didn't connect to it very much. I think I'm too far past "new mommy" angst and, as an only child, don't understand "sister angst."

Foreign Deceit by Jeff Carson This was okay. I was ready for an easier read after wading through The Time of Our Singing.

ETA: Oh yeah, and Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate. My grandson and I always read books out loud to each other, alternating chapters. Love this book!
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote