Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Toilet paper and coffee -

>

Clarity

Toilet paper and coffee -
Old 08-19-2019, 04:59 AM

My toilet paper math post and the responses prompted me to order 48 rolls of TP online. I am going to keep track and see how long that lasts.

Which prompted me to figure out how much coffee is costing us a year (at home mornings only). If I buy Bustelo bricks at Aldi, the grand total is $117.00 a year.

I heard there is a recession coming. May as well stock up, right?

Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-19-2019, 05:06 AM

I’m not a coffee drinker, but I’m impressed by your frugality. Think about your $117—I’ll bet Starbucks buyers are over $1,000.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

$117 is a little more than half of a
Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 AM

car payment, something I now have. . I also have a three-year supply of coffee filters and am thinking of paper towels next. What else do I need to get through the coming apocalypse?

kahluablast

Old 08-19-2019, 06:01 AM

Tampons or Depends.

I have to have Qtips.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 08-19-2019, 06:14 AM

I've heard that we should be stocking up on that very item!

Seriously, I'm trying to curb my addiction to paper towels! If there is a recession, that will be one of the first things to go. My elders did fine without them, so I can, too! A lot of other actual food items can be bought for the same price as a huge package of paper towels. They are not a "must have/can't do without" item for me.

I've already switched to instant coffee where we can get 110 servings in a jar for a serious fraction of using K-cups or Starbucks! There is a difference, but after awhile, instant coffee wakes me up just the same!

LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Be sure to stock up on chocolate.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Clarity -toilet paper
Old 08-19-2019, 09:35 AM

When my mom was alive she used to shop at BJs and bought non-perishable items in bulk and stored the extra items in her basement. After she died I didn't have to buy toilet paper for 18 months.
anonymouse is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM

We go through 36 "huge" rolls in just over a month (I know because I get them thru Subscribe n Save on Amazon and every time the new shipment comes, we have a couple of rolls still left!) But it's impossible to compare that to the "jumbo" rolls of the same brand I see in the store!

I also use an insane amount of paper towels....pretty much any household good I can buy on Amazon, preferrably getting the regular deliveries each month, I do! But they come in bulk, so storage becomes an issue! My linen closet is now half sheets and blankets, and half storage for toilet paper/paper towels! Then we have another cabinet for the extra deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, etc that I somehow always have too much of

I'm impressed with your coffee total though! Dh is super picky about coffee now and only uses the K cups, which are so expensive! I try to stock up when I can find them for 25 cents each. I don't mind the regular coffeepot, so I still drink that, trying to save a little!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

We only make three cups a day,
Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 AM

two for me, one for him. Aldi sells the Bustelo 10-oz bricks for $2.88, cheaper than you can buy them from the Bustelo website!

Teach 5

Lazylake
Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 PM

I also had a paper towel addiction. They were just easy to grab and I knew where they were instead of trying to find where the towel had landed. So, I put the roll of paper towels in my laundry room. That way I have them for really messy jobs but I use so much less.

Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 PM

Store what you use and use what you store.

A handy way to shop more frugally is to first begin the practice of home prepared meals and snacks.

Keep track for one month every cent you spend. Fir everything, household bills, gas, self care, food and beverages, tech.

With groceries receipts usually have the name of the items purchased.

Keep track of meals cooked at home and eaten out.

You can track a weeks worth of spending and times that by 4.5 to get average. Then look in your cupboards and make a quick talley of your food, body care, pet care and automotive supplies.

Then, think about what natural disasters your region experiences.

Do you have a way to heat or cool your home if there is an interruption in your power supply?

Do you have a way to flush the toilet if water service is interrupted?

What about communication and lights?

How far is work and what do you expect to do to get to or from work?

Do you a weeks worth of Emergency school lesson plans ready to go?

There is a plethora of legitimate guidelines on many net sites. Ready dot gov, Red Cross, LDS, pinterest, etc. As always use logical sound reasoning when thinking about your family’s unique circumstances.

Our family has grab and go totes and an emergency preparedness binder with the paper copy back ups of our plans, legal docs, banking, insurance etc. we both carry a thumb drive with the data as well.

When we first became aware of the financially sound reasoning of stocking up we were pretty poor but we did it it. We would look for sales, double by an item that was shelf stable, and food we actually ate.

Most folks have their head in the sand and expect the government to step in quickly to to assist you. After natural disasters in our area we quickly realized that we needed to take care of ourselves, family and our community.

Also, keep your preparedness plans and preparation to your self. One of neighbors told me should there be a disaster she is coming to my house. Nope. Her druggies sons are dangerous. We will give help on our terms not the neighbors.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-19-2019, 06:07 PM

I want to check out your tp recommendation. Do you have a link? I have never done an online subscription but I am interested in your brand advice
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I agree. Having lived in California, I am
Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 AM

very aware of the need to be prepared, including carrying food and water in my vehicle. However, here in the North Country, water freezes in the winter! I was shocked at how many people don't even carry blankets and matches and basic supplies in their vehicles around here. When I question them, they always say, "Well, I have a cell phone!" as if that is the answer to everything.

When I lived on the Oregon Coast, there was a big article about what would happen if we have the expected huge earthquake along the Northwest Coast. Basically, it said everything west of the I-5 would be demolished and that the area would be without power, water, or medical help or rescue of any kind for up to six months. So there's that.

With all the crazy weather changes, it is difficult to predict what might happen. We are seeing tornadoes and microbursts and flooding up here that was never seen before. Plus the weather last winter was very up and down temperature-wise, from -20 one day to +40 the next. It was crazy and resulted in extreme icy conditions.

We rarely eat out and cook most food from scratch. We have the advantage of lots of fresh, local meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and vegies. I do feel safer here than I did in L.A.