Help

The VENT

New teacher at Title I school freaking out

>

MrsAlex76

New teacher at Title I school freaking out
Old 11-30-2019, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first-year ACP teacher in my intern year teaching 6th grade. My “mentor” only expected to see me “four times per year”, so he isn’t much help. I have received feedback from multiple admins, but none of them are consistent, so it’s hard to apply them to make any changes. Now my principal has expressed “concern” with my classroom management and “effectiveness” in an email, and scheduled a meeting. I’m trying not to freak out. Thoughts??

MrsAlex76 is offline   Reply With Quote

myangel

Be prepared
Old 12-01-2019, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don’t know what an APC teacher is or what an intern year is, but my best advice would be to come prepared with a written behavior management plan to show what you are currently doing in that area and maybe something new you plan to try. If you set a plan yourself with baseline data to start with now and what your goal is after applying your ideas to change behavior that can go a long way.
myangel is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Natural
Old 12-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Freaking out about seeing an e-mail from your principal is natural for anyone, especially for a newbie. Whether you became a teacher the traditional route or someone who took the ACP route, it doesn’t matter. The first year teaching is tough, especially in the area of classroom management. Even veteran teachers have problems. I taught in a Title 1 school for 25 years, so I know what you are talking about. Suggestions: Be prepared with a game plan of what you are already doing for classroom management. Have you contacted parents? Results? Is it documented in some way? Have the students shown growth with their assessments? If you use DMAC to gather data, print it out to pin point growth areas. Ask for help. In some schools, mentors are paid a stipend to help new teachers. Your guy isn’t earning his keep. If he is not willing to help, ask someone else. Ask to observe a teacher who is good at classroom management. The bottom line is, don’t flounder all year long. It’ll make for a miserable first year. Whatever is discussed at the meeting, DOCUMENT it. Bring a notepad with you to take notes. I noticed you’re from Texas, as am I. At the end of the year when STAAR test scores come back, and they are not as high as expected, you’ll need proof that you asked for help, but none was received.
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

I agree
Old 12-01-2019, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the above commenters. I would also add that, at least how it works for me, consistency is key. Be consistent with every aspect of your classroom management down to the transitions from table to carpet or table to door to line up. Assign jobs to students and keep them accountable. What I do is I have an Employee of the Month award once a month and my students love it! Furthermore, unless you already have it, use some sort of discipline management tool, like PBIS, class dojo, colors etc. Make sure students are aware of rules and consequences. Finally, no matter how bad the behavior is, always stay calm, show passion and never, ever show that you are giving up. If you feel like screaming, or crying, turn away so nobody can see you, or wait until you get a break. My best policy with my students who misbehave (which does not happen often due to consistency) is kill them with kindness!

I hope this helps!
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is an "ACP teacher?"

Your mentor (not sure why you put that word in quotes) has another job as well and the expectation of only seeing you four times this year is probably written down in the mentor agreement. This expectation assures that the mentor and you know how much time is committed to mentoring you. I'm sure the mentor has plenty of other teaching responsibilities on her/his plate and this should not come as news to you. Be sure to balance the impression of you knowing what you are doing with the idea that you are open to ideas and you are not asking to be led by the hand. No one has time for that.

The best thing to do at this point is to gather documents proving that you have followed the advice given to you by all admin observing you.Have you gone to outside pd? Taken an online class? You must demonstrate that you are coachable and willing to listen and adhere to all advice. I taught in title one schools my entire career . The only teachers I saw fail in the early years were the uncoachable ones;the ones who thought they knew more than anyone else.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I see this as less than proving, but more of
Old 12-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

being open to try new ideas. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Just be ready to explain your classroom management system IF asked and to tie in who gave you this plan.)
He may not even ask. He may want you to take some PD's on CM.
Like Ana says above: Be coachable. It takes a few yrs to find what works best for you. If you can "get along", you usually do not have a lot to worry about.
If he sends you to a PD, make sure you tell him what you learned (maybe in email) and if you can do it, ask him to come in and see some of the changes after you are comfortable implementing them.
Good luck!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Acp
Old 12-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I Googled it and I believe "ACP" stands for a teacher who has gone through an alternative certification program. That's my best guess.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote