Fuming and frustrated thank the lord kind people still exist - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Fuming and frustrated thank the lord kind people still exist

>

Kinderkr4zy

Fuming and frustrated thank the lord kind people still exist
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had my car worked on today. While I waited I went to a movie using uber for rides. The thing is my phone is getting quite old and has been acting a bit wonky. One minute is says that it has 30% battery and the next 2%-then it dies-only its not really dead. If I plug it in it will start right up and go back to 30% battery and then work. Annoying but not a big deal...if you dont leave your cord in car which isnt with you.

So I leave the movie and bam-inky black death screen with a flashing light telling me to plug it in.

So, I try to go in a variety of stores around the theater to buy a new cord. Well-none of them do. I am stranded a 20 minute drive from home with no phone and no car and I dont know what to do. I sat down outside of a Gamestop and started to cry.

Thankfully the world still has kind people in it. A worker at the store happened to have his personal phone charger in his car which he go for me and let me plug my phone in to request an uber.

The uber arrives and I need 2 stops. One at an ATM to get money to pay the mechanic and then on to get my car. I go to the ATM and and...transaction declined. Ummmm what. Check the balance in case there is some strange problem-Nope, more than enough-F this I need to call the bank they must think this is a fraudulent charge. Geez. WEll I let the Uber go since I know this is going to take longer than they will wait ugh. What ever I'll get another one after I fix this.

I call the bank. After a timely wait I let them know that the charge isnt fraudulent and I need them to reactivate my card. Ok...wait 5 minutes for the system to clear the activity....I wait...I try again...same f-ing thing. I'm getting mad now. I want my money and my car and I want to go home.

I call them back and go through the same process. I'm getting worried now-at this point I really am running out of battery on my phone. The phone person tries again but it still wont work. She need to get a manager she says. Ok but I need you to hurry cause I am running out of battery. Manager tries but...there is an error in the system according to her. There is nothing they can do about it. No, no NNNOOOO. I need my money. I need my car. I am going to be stranded out here and my phone is about to...die-which is did at that moment.

I didn't know what to do...again. I start to cry...again. I walk around looking for a pay phone so can try to call someone to pick me up-I have change but, as it turns out, there are no payphones. In this modern cell pone obsessed age they have gone the way of the dodo and silently disappeared from the landscape without out a single thought as to what will happen if our cell phones fail us. How can this be

I start to walk in the direction of home-which is 15 miles away. Its dark. Its cold. I am sure I look like a freaking crazy person walking and sobbing down cold dark lonely rural highway. This is a mess. This is wrong. Cars are whizzing past me at 50 miles and hour and the wind is cutting through the holes in my light sweater. How could this be happening to me. After what feels like forever but is probably a mile or less a car pulls over and offers me a ride. And this is where one too many episodes of the show "Unsolved Mysteries" get me. I cant be sure these people arent just my next "out of the frying pan and into the fire" moment. I cant do it. I ask if they can just call someone for me and I give them my mothers number. Thanks the lord above she answers and comes to pick me up.

I still need my car. But at least I'm home. What the F kind of Murphy's Law BS is this day. Seriously I cant figure out how things could go so horribly wrong.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 02-08-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Awww
Old 02-08-2020, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You need pajamas, ice cream, and your bed. What a horrible day! So glad that there were good people to help you.

Tomorrow will be better!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 02-08-2020, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad kind of day but at least you still had your wits about you and asked to call your mom instead of getting into a strange car! I am not sure I would have been that clear-headed after all that! I hope tomorrow is much better!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-08-2020, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hugs to you! So glad youíre safely at home. Bless the helpers. I firmly believe there are more good people than bad. Hope youíre feeling better and have a good nightís rest.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-08-2020, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think you have used up all of your bad karma for the entire year--or maybe the decade. Seriously, you are so due for the most fantastic week ever.

And it already started--your mom answered and drove you home--and you didn't even have to pay her any uber fees.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Glad you are home and warm
Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What a shi**y day for you. Aren't mothers wonderful?
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 02-09-2020, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh my, what a hard day! I'm so glad that you had some helpful strangers, and I hope that you give yourself some extra relaxing self-care.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-09-2020, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh my goodness, what a horrible day. I'm glad you're home safely. (I know what you mean about the phone, my DD's phone was acting like that----old and would do the exact same thing upon being plugged in and acting all glitchy at times. It was stressful and worrisome that I didn't know if her phone would act glitchy in an emergency.)
Sending good thoughts.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-09-2020, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sounds like a horrible day! I sure hope today you get things ironed out and taken care of with better luck.

My dh got stranded with his snowmobile up on a mountain and had to hike out. I was driving back and forth over a stretch of road hoping to find him when he finally reached the road. It quickly got dark and the temps went down and I was getting really worried. I pulled over at a pull off and was yelling his name over the side (his cell phone also died - although I didn't know that) and had gotten back in my car to warm up again, when a ratty old bronco stopped beside me. My dh got out of it after a couple minutes- I couldn't see in and he couldn't get the door opened!). He said that several nice new trucks went by a lone man WALKING in the dark and cold up a mountain highway, but the bronco stopped. Go figure. No one would be walking out in that location unless in trouble. Just interesting. I did meet up at the parking lot with 2 other guys just coming in from a ride and asked them if they had seen my dh. They were very kind - exchanged phone numbers with me and went back out to see if they could find him. Good people do exist in this world. We have to trust more and get lucky when we do.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Bad day
Old 02-09-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I thought I had a bad day yesterday - yours beats mine by a long shot.

I'm glad you got home safely, and it's good to know that nice people are still around.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Kindercr4zyís horrible day
Old 02-09-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You are free to now build a blankie fort and stay there for the rest of the weekend. You earned it.

I know how you felt about accepting a ride from a stranger.....when I was young and dumb, I got stranded at a train station. I was looking all around for bus, taxi, etc. a man asked me if I needed help. I told him I was going to go across the way and try to get a cab. He said ď miss, you donít want to walk in that neighborhood. I will take you to the restaurant. It is 5 minutes from here. I promise Iím not a convict.Ē I accepted the ride and all was fine. But I wouldnít do it now.

You are far smarter than me..
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 02-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I had my car worked on today. While I waited I went to a movie using uber for rides. The thing is my phone is getting quite old and has been acting a bit wonky. One minute is says that it has 30% battery and the next 2%-then it dies-only its not really dead. If I plug it in it will start right up and go back to 30% battery and then work. Annoying but not a big deal...if you dont leave your cord in car which isnt with you.
My phone did the eXACT same thing. I either got a new battery or phone. Can't remember. Great story. Good ending. 1st thing, fix that phone. 2nd get a credit card ONLY for emergencies. I am glad you got home safely. But for the grace of God go many of us.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-09-2020, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow,your day was my worst scenario I always had for my daughter when she was in college. I'm glad you had two kind people help you out. It's that "pollyanna spirit" that keeps me going sometimes..look for the bright spot in an otherwise horrible situation. I hope you get some time today to unwind from such a bad day.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yikes! That was an absolutely terrible day! I'm so glad you didn't chance getting in that car, even though they were probably just trying to be helpful. It's not worth the risk and I would totally understand if I were in their shoes.

OK, now get proactive to avoid this kind of scary predicament in the future. Get 1 or 2 no-fee credit cards and carry them with you always. Charge on them every once in awhile to keep them active. Also, it's time for a new phone or even just a new battery. I know phones are ridiculously expensive now, but there are some cheap older models or pay-as-you-go phones that will work better than the one you have.

I'm so glad you're safe and at home. Relax and be proud that you handled it as best you could.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Glad it ended well! It is nice to remember there are good people in the world.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I was reading along....+ thinking
Old 02-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

no more pay phones! Then you mentioned it! I still miss having them and have no idea how people get by w/out a phone now. I was one of the last to jump on the cell band wagon. I didn't want 1 more thing distracting my life, but then.....the pay phones disappeared.
There really are some nice people in the world. I am always amazed and thankful for it.
Also, buy your mom a big bouquet of flowers or do something nice for her. You are fortunate to still have her.
After all of those problems, I hope you were able to relax and have a nice evening at home.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What a horrible day! Wow. That is all kinds of frustrating. And I agree with you on the kind people comment. I'm so glad you ran into two very kind people who were able to help you out (and that your mother lives close enough to have been able to help you out).

My phone also did that, and I ended up getting a new one. I'd had my phone for 6 or 7 years by that point.

I hope your day today goes much more smoothly!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Phone Numbers
Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You handled an avalanche of bad luck with amazing aplomb. Once the misery fades, congratulate yourself for perseverance and keeping your wits.

Iím most impressed that you were able to give a phone number. Since becoming dependent on my cell phone, I donít seem to know or remember any phone numbers!

desert flower

Old 02-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Wow. Just wow. Sorry this happened to you. I think Iíd look into switching banks ASAP...and getting a replacement phone. Good luck to you.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 02-10-2020, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Cars and cellphones...

A blessing as they are a curse...
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote