Help

The VENT

Probably going to get fired again

>

Wanderlusty

Probably going to get fired again
Old 02-10-2020, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm currently in my second year at a great private school in an unfamiliar region of the US. I moved to a different grade level because of a recommendation from admin. I see now it is a mistake.

As of right now, I am on a progress improvement plan with my contract hanging in the balance. I am so tempted to quit teaching and move back home with parents with my tail tucked between my legs. I am really thinking teaching isn't my calling. Despite students adoration and positive parent feedback, I am always butting heads with some admin or coworker who just wants things done their way.

I respect my colleagues but I seem to get matched up with someone to gets easily frustrated with me. The first year at this school, the teachers didn't quite get along with me. This year is my first time in a co-teaching model. As my first year in a new grade, my co-teacher is expected to do most of the hand holding for a number of reasons. However, as of the past couple months, she has been very critical of my teaching, saying I taught math wrong or taking over any subject area she can. Yet she will tell me she has never worked this hard in a co-teaching model before (considering she has always worked with older, veteran teachers).

I'll admit my lessons the past month weren't great. However, I apparently can't make mistakes with this coworker, who aspires to perfection. I feel as caught between a rock and hard place as the beginner who has no clout and a poor reputation.

And now my principal has caught wind of this and now I am under careful watch. I have to write lesson plans every week, due Friday, along with weekly informal observations.

I could also just be not good at my job and a difficult person to work with.

I probably will end up telling them I won't return, nor ask for any letters of recommendation.

Has anyone ever been sick of dealing with stubborn teachers and quit teaching altogether?

Last edited by Wanderlusty; 02-10-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Wanderlusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Lenment

Lenment

Luck Sometimes
Old 02-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There's a bit of luck in getting the right teaching gig these days. I've had a very rough road in it. Out of 21 years, I've probably had 3 or 4 good years when I enjoyed what I was doing. I'm in my fifties, and I want to retire to move onto something else. So I still sub and wait it out a few more years. A year ago I had a pretty good teaching job, but lack of district funding ended that. I taught elementary before that for about 18 years. I was in a school from hell after a bad transfer, and that ended my elementary career. Goodbye good salary and benefits. I was observed copious times by admin in elementary. I had some rude administrators.

I have a friend who's taught in one room for just under 30 years, and can
count the number of times an administrator has observed her on one hand. Very lucky. I've seen people quit the profession after 1 or 2 years, also. I guess I am lucky that I've been able to hang in there for all these years. Maybe you can find a new school. Try to finish up the best you can where you are now, and then get into another school.

Ima Teacher

Old 02-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If youíre looking for a job without ďstubbornĒ people, Iím afraid youíre going to be out of luck.

I go to work, do my job, and do it the way administration wants it done. What others think about how I do things isnít my concern. I tend to rarely butt heads with people because I am generally easy to get along with. However, there are people I don't care much for for various reasons, but I keep it to myself.

Quote:
This year is my first time in a co-teaching model. As my first year in a new grade, my co-teacher is expected to do most of the hand holding for a number of reasons. However, as of the past couple months, she has been very critical of my teaching, saying I taught math wrong or taking over any subject area she can. Yet she will tell me she has never worked this hard in a co-teaching model before (considering she has always worked with older, veteran teachers).
Hand holding? Kids or yours? If it is yours, Iíd probably be frustrated, too. I know itís tougher in a new position, but I also find it frustrating to have to do my job and take care of a new teacher, too. Help, okay. Hand hold, nope.

Did you leave the last job on your own or were you let go?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 02-10-2020, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would have HATED to co-teach in the beginning of my career. That's like a year long internship and you never really get to do your own thing. Some teachers can be very condescending and think only their way is the right way. I'm sorry you're having such a bad year, but don't give up. If the kids love you and the parents love you....you just need to find a school where you have your own classroom. Don't complain to your admin... just nod and get through the rest of the year and don't burn bridges behind you. Start looking at other schools and give the reason that you need to be closer to home or you need a better fit, etc. Whereever you go...you will need letters of recommendation, so try your best to comply with them til the end of the year. Good Luck.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teaching was never for me, but I very briefly stumbled into it and have been out of it.

So the million-dollar question is, what other job(s) would you do? I'd love to know myself.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-10-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

MAsped, since youíre not in teaching anymore, why do you visit here? Our wonderful company? Iím sincerely curious.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 02-10-2020, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well, co-teaching isn't for me either. I had to co-teach for a while. I got on with my colleague ok but didn't like needing to constantly compromise. I was the newer, younger teacher so even though we were technically "equals" she definitely ran the show. Which was awesome in that I learned heaps from her, but I didn't love it. So I get it. I worked hard to prove myself though and the next year my colleague and I convinced our boss to let us teach our own classes independently.

If I were you I'd probably try to suck it up and do thing admin's way, whilst looking for jobs elsewhere. Go with the improvement plan even if you think it's unfair. Do your best and try to let go of the things you can't control.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

KetchupChips, I think most teachers's mentality is that once a teacher (no matter if retired or whatever), a part of them is always a teacher.

I just love this board and have gotten great info from you guys over the years. I'm mainly in the LOUNGE sections anyway, maybe this VENT one at times, and a couple of the active groups on the far right.

And actually now that I think of it, I still currently work in the education and teaching field. I'm just not in the classroom anymore.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

MAsped, thanks for replying!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iím so glad you didnít take offense because I was just curious! I do think teachers, in or out of the classroom, do have a particular mindset. Years ago, I had a friend who didnít understand why I had questions about his hobby. This was an activity I would never take up. Teachers are curious and have a love of learning. That was an eye opener for me - not everyoneís curious.

I like The Lounge section too. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate that!

Wanderlusty

Old 02-11-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This co-teacher is supposed to support me, but didn't like that I didn't do things her way. So she took it upon herself to do everything. the little perfectionist. I don't blame her for feeling frustrated, though I can hold her responsible for her reactions and criticism.

I left my last job willingly. Kinda regretful in hindsight.

Wanderlusty

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I appreciate the uplifting advice. I hope it ends well too. I'll be telling them of my resignation in a month or two.

Wanderlusty

Hmmm
Old 02-11-2020, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

To answer your question, I am thinking of going into Marriage and Family Therapy or just a plain therapist. I enjoy listening to people tell their stories or helping others find some emotional healing. It's going to be a little rocky getting my prerequisites but I plan to go back to school in the city where I'm from.

Thanks for giving your insight. I agree with your earlier post. Once a teacher, a part of teaching just stays with you in some shape or form.

KetchupChips

Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wanderlusty, we all wish you well as you figure out whatís best for you!