The VENT

Is it normal

>

Itaintright

Itaintright

Is it normal
Old 02-12-2020, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

for Special Education teachers not to have technology in the classroom? Iíve only worked in two districts and every teacher/classroom had a smart board except the Special Education classroom. The districts Iíve worked in are low performing and low socioeconomic districts and Iím wondering if that is the reason. I do have access to laptops for student usage and a whiteboard but I would really like a smart board. Is this normal? In better performing and higher socioeconomic districts, do Special Education teachers have technology?

sonoma

Old 02-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have found this an issue too. Retired now but I worked in a magnet school. When all of the classroom teachers first got computers I did not get one. This in spite of the fact that I was the only person in the school that had to go online to access the special ed data base.

I had to go into a classroom to create all my IEPs.

As technology increased I was constantly left out. My principal said they had to focus $$ to serve the most students. Most of the staff were techno phobic and didn't use the stuff. I was an apple trained teacher.

Part of the reason I chose to return to a classroom position. I got tired of being a second class citizen.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Yes
Old 02-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sped and EL seem to get shorted on tech, but they should all have what every teacher has!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district EVERY teacher had a smart board and LCD projector.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

In my previous school
Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The autistic classrooms got smart boards before anyone else, because they had special funds besides the building funds. But the aut classrooms found it difficult to get extra teacher editions and textbooks at first, because they were always forgotten when it came to ordering, or they would order one grade level, forgetting that the aut classrooms were multilevel.

Sped teachers had laptops when classroom teachers did not, but other than teachers of autism, the sped teachers were inclusion. They had access to the smart board in the classroom, and no other.

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 02-12-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I never got a smart board when I was an ESOL teacher. Staff members who taught ESOL, special ed, and specials did not get them. It irritated me to no end because I taught in an affluent school system, and it would have been possible to get more of them in our building.

My principal never saw us as a priority.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-13-2020 at 02:48 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I guess I've been lucky in that way...
Old 02-12-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been in three districts in two different states. All as SpEd and all had the same tech as any other teacher. My classroom now has a SmartBoard, a laptop with a dock, a desktop and 1:1 Student Chromebooks.

In one case, even better-I had a smartboard, a laptop cart, my own printer and a ScanTron machine with a subscription to Renaissance Place Math and Reading.

I do sometimes have issues getting new curriculum for my students, including textbooks or workbooks, but sometimes that is due to not knowing what to order... with skills all over the place, it is hard to get material to meet their needs.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-12-2020, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Fair? No. Normal? Yes. We are always 2nd class citizens. My current P is the best I've worked for as far as getting somewhat equitable treatment. For many years I'd be sent to curriculum PD with classroom teachers and told to use said curriculum with absolutely no teacher or student materials. Several years I shared a room with a smart board that didn't work. Several years ago under a different P, we got a literacy grant that came with hundreds of thousands of dollars. I asked repeatedly if any of that was to be used for tier 3 materials. Nope. New P came in and showed slightly more interest in sped, so I pestered her about it repeatedly and finally got some programs I could pull resources from.

However, a couple of years ago the district built new buildings and they did not even plan out rooms for special ed staff. I was very close to leaving over it, but I figured I'd get the same treatment anywhere else. I was told that all of my instructional materials, student files, etc. were to go in this portable "caddy" that was the size of about 2 filing cabinet drawers. When planning, I could pull my caddy up to a desk in the hallway to use. They basically wanted us to do only push in services (don't get me started) and they thought this was a way to force that. My P ended up going against the district and assigning what were supposed to be "flex spaces" to non classroom teachers. I ended up with the nicest one because of how many fits I pitched over not having a teaching space . Very disrespectful even though it did work out in the end. I have an Apple TV like the classrooms, but other providers (SLP, OT, etc.) don't. I don't have a projector.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Title I school, ALL classes even SPED have Smart Boards. It really depends on the principal and how they allocate funds.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote