Help

The VENT

*deep breath* sent parent an email

>

Violet4

*deep breath* sent parent an email
Old 02-17-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't think I said anything unprofessional but I also didn't sugarcoat it. Her kid is disrespectful and doesn't show remorse for it. I wish I could post the email here so people could give me feedback.

I wish she and I could just talk on the phone but she hasn't returned my calls on one line and on the other her voicemail is full. I called her on weekdays not today of course (Presidents Day).

I think it's awful that her kid is the one who is deliberately ignoring instructions and disrupting class but I have to fear her response if I "hurt any feelings."

Unfortunately there was another behavior issue that arose in his class that took all of my time and attention last Friday from a different student. It took me all weekend to not be furious although trust me I'm still angry and I don't see this behavior improving.

Like I said I can't share the email but can someone here just tell me I did the right thing or that I didn't do a bad thing by sending it? This year really has to end.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Good documentation
Old 02-17-2020, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Paper trails are always good. She won't be able to claim you did not communicate problems. Try not to worry.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 02-17-2020, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I’m sure your email was fine, but it is difficult to read tone in an email. We have always been instructed by our union to never communicate concerns about class issues and behaviours in an email. Phone calls or in person only. I would, however, send an email letting them know about missed calls and for them to call you. That’s a good paper trail to have.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 02-17-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel we need to be factual and not sugarcoat things for parents. Too many other teachers do so when these kids get elsewhere the parents claim “no one ever told me” OR “they’ve never had this problem before”.

If she doesn’t like it, oh well, you’ve got plenty of evidence to back up your claims.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 02-17-2020, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At my school - I'm new here this year - almost all the teachers communicate by email rather than by phone. They all want the paper trail and documentation that they have communicated. I prefer the phone myself, even though I think I am pretty good at communicating in email professionally. I have written a couple of emails this year similar to what you describe. Those are not the easiest emails to write, and I say so in the email. I sent them because no one answered the phone. Parents were apologetic that their child was disrespectful. I also tell the student that it's very hard for
me to send that kind of email and I would like to be able to qrite another one saying he had improved. I did follow up a few days later to report improvement.

apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 02-18-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I communicate exclusively through ClassDojo/E-Mail and if it’s email I save it all in a folder for the year within my email. I will return a phone call if necessary but it’s rare.

I, of course, meet in person with parents but I take detailed notes and we both sign and date them at the end of the meeting.

I have seen/heard too much and make sure I always have documentation now.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Phone calls...
Old 02-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Obviously, with her voice mail full, that was not an option for you this time. My principal is big on having us call the parents instead of email. I think she is concerned about having the email come back to haunt us, especially if there should be a legal proceeding down the line. This was especially true of students in special education and/or behavioral or academic needs.

The good thing that you did is that you informed the parent. If the voicemail was full, how else were you going to communicate the issue. And, if you wait longer, the parent could say, "I wish I had known sooner".

Kind of darned if you do, darned if you don't. I hope it worked out well for you.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote