Help

The VENT

I hate testing...

>

kerrysgirl

I hate testing...
Old 02-19-2020, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hate seeing how low scores make my kids tear up and leave the room crying. I hate seeing their faces crumple when they see their scores and they didn't "do enough" to pass. I hate feeling like all I do is crush them. Most of my kids are working hard, trying, and growing. I've been watching them grow all year. Stick a test in front of them, watch them freak out, and then watch them fail.

This job is so disheartening. I feel like I have failed my students and myself. I did my job. It's not my fault or my students' fault that they aren't all reading on level and don't understand parts of the texts assigned to them. They've made such big strides and NOTHING like it is reflected on these stupid assessment.

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

What grade level?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach third grade. The number of tests were giving has definitely lessened over the past few years.

Are these state tests? District tests? How many tests do you have to give?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

8th grade
Old 02-19-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CBAs, District Assessments, MockSTAAR (all district) -- five two hour tests already this year.

State testing to come--four hours.

MAP -- hours and hours of it

Lexile testing -- hours and hours of it

It NEVER ends. We had exactly 11 instructional days that didn't include some sort of testing since we came back on Jan. 6.

I don't feel like I even get a chance to teach anything before I have to give more tests.

Sorry to whine. It's been a bad day for the kids and me today. We got chewed out again for not scoring as well as the "good" campus in town.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

We teach, they fail...
Old 02-19-2020, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Should be our battle cry! I looked through some sample questions on our upcoming benchmark district tests. I could not get over how many questions were worded so poorly that it would confuse even my best math student. Donít get me started on how the questions themselves arenít always aligned to the standards. Iíve seen questions that should be asked of a 10 grade math student on a 6th grade math test. Who creates these tests that do nothing but make everyone feel like a failure?
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I agree...
Old 02-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The students and teachers work so hard, but often these assessments do not measure the growth that has happened. We were still giving the PARCC when I retired, don't know if we still are. The students had to use an I-Pad, which was normally how we did writing, and for many of them, the texts and the tasks related to them were not developmentally appropriate in my opinion. Some students just want to get it over with and I would observe them not really trying as hard as I knew they could. My last year, I had a low class, and was grateful I did not get to see their scores, which would come in over the summer after it was too late to do any changes in your teaching, even if you wanted to. If I had more students who were not proficient than my grade level colleagues, I would feel especially disheartened, even though my principal never made a big deal about that. It is a tough time to be in teaching.

NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 02-20-2020, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't even get me started I am so very sad, disgusted at how each student as soon as they step foot in a school become a data point! And what's worse to me, that the new teachers think this is what education is all about--passing/not passing inappropriate tests.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Thatís a lot!
Old 02-20-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We donít have anything close to that much testing. I donít even know what many of those are (PARCC, MAP).
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-20-2020, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I could not get over how many questions were worded so poorly that it would confuse even my best math student.
OURS TOO! Its ridiculous. I refuse to tell my kids about their scores on our benchmark tests because that always suck but then do pretty well on the state test so....
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 02-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our state tests will be eliminated in about five years in favor of a portfolio type assessment that is submitted online. Teachers participating in the development say it will be easy to implement because it is a sampling of the kids are actually doing in class. I think this will actual relieve a lot of the test anxiety and reduce all of the ridiculous amounts of district testing and go back to a happier medium. About 2 years ago, our state also stopped giving schools levels and now looked at the scores very differently. I noticed a drastically different attitude when test results were looked at at the beginning of the year. No item by item analysis or crap like that.

Maybe we can also go back to a happier medium when it comes to behavior interventions.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Testing
Old 02-25-2020, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What state? I hate testing too.
It was bad enough having one that lasted for 3 days back when I was in school.
I used to color in the bubbles to make pictures because I couldnít stand it any more. I even filled in 3 bubbles in the same row just to make my pictures. Nobody noticed. I made Christmas trees and animal pictures mostly. All day tests! Really. Plus they were timed. I even asked if I could use the bathroom during them so I could get out of the room. No computers back then, so time kept ticking away.
They must have though i was really dim when they got my results.
Whoever thought of tests was the dim one.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 02-25-2020, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It is hard to see.

The reality is, if they come to you years behind, even if they make more than a year's progress in the year, they will most likely not achieve a high enough score on the test to consider it a "passing" score, whatever that is for your state.

This comment is not aimed at you but is a general comment.
I think we try to boost self confidence so much but we do it in the wrong way. Students and parents often end up thinking the kids are on track for their grade level when they are not. What they hear or see as grades doesn't reflect their true mastery of the grade level materials. So, a child with a C may think they are doing fine but is years behind in reading receiving a C or even a B because that is what they get on work that is below grade level or boosted by other types of grades that don't really assess mastery of the grade level content. In my opinion, we are not honest enough about the demonstrated current ability level of students. We may mention it in passing but provide many other comments or grades that indicate otherwise. Should a child who is two years behind in reading ever be getting anything but a failing grade for the mastery of the subject? I know it sounds harsh, but why would a student think they are two years behind if they are getting passing grades?