Help

The VENT

Feeling pretty dumb right about now

>

checkerjane

Feeling pretty dumb right about now
Old 02-22-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If yíall remember, I resigned (effective at the end of the school year) after a particularly rough day of being bitten and scratched by my non-verbal autistic kid. A little in the heat of the moment, for sure, but I was d-o-n-e.

There are only four districts within reasonable driving distance, three of which are extremely small and donít have many openings each year.

So now Iím in panic mode thinking what if I donít get a job for next year. Iím certified in five areas, so not to sound arrogant, but I think Iím employable.

So far, thereís only been one opening. I submitted my resume last week. Today, Iím mailing out resumes to the other schools so that Iíll already be on their radar should an opening come up.

I have to have a job that pays comparable to what teaching pays. I wouldnít have a problem taking a non-teaching job for a year and just take a break, but I donít think Iíll find one that pays what I make as a teacher.

Iím sticking to my guns that I made the right decision in resigning. P took a kidís word over mine and basically yelled at me last week. That was awesome.

Someone talk me off a ledge? That itís still early and more jobs will be posted?

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Of course there will be more jobs!

And you are absolutely right that you need a break. NOBODY deserves to be bitten and scratched at work!!

If you can't find a job that pays the same as teaching, take something that pays a little less, and add just a few hours tutoring. One-on-one, and being your own boss, is so different than what you're doing now, it will still add up to less stress.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Walk away. Your well being physically, mentally, and emotionally matters more than a paycheck. I know itís scary, but things will work out. As a PP mentioned, there are ways to supplement an income if you find a job that pays less. Tutoring, selling on TPT, dog walking, Etsy, babysitting, etc. You have options.

As for the job hunt, research schools in the districts you are interested in and make a list. You know the distances, so you know how many schools are feasible in a day. Then? Take a personal day. Drive out to those schools and hand-deliver your resume to their principals. It puts a face to the name for a principal that sees countless resumes, shows the principal that you have commitment and drive, and allows you to feel out the school. When you walk in is the atmosphere happy or tense? Do people tell you good morning/afternoon or are you ignored? Is the office staff friendly and polite or stiff and formal? Is the principal cordial and welcoming or rude and dismissive? First impressions are sometimes deceiving, but a lot of times paint a pretty good picture of standard operating procedure at a school.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Excellent idea, seenthelight!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Suggestion
Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm assuming you're Sped certified since you mentioned the student with Autism. As a backup you could become an advocate. They are usually paid well and you would have the inside knowledge about what really goes on in a Sped classroom and what SHOULDN'T go on, exactly what an effective advocate would know.

momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-22-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's only February; of course there will be other jobs! I'm honestly surprised you found an opening at all this early. I thought we interviewed early and we won't have positions posted until late March at the earliest. Then interviewing/hiring takes place all the way through the summer. I'm in a small district where everyone knows everyone else's business. It's a big thing to start looking at the job postings page in March/April/May to get gossip about who is leaving, which schools have the most postings, etc. .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 02-22-2020, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my district, principals literally just got their budgets for next year last week. They're now figuring out allocations, then having to figure out internal transfers. Retirements aren't due for another month.

So it is way, way too early to think there won't be any more positions posted. Around here, the biggest flurry of activity is May/June and then August. (We start school in September.)

Also, can you sub if you need to? I never heard of anyone who can't find a job subbing!
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Iím so glad youíre sticking to your guns. And yes there will be more openings. In our district the only openings we have currently are for those who already know theyíre retiring or moving. So while there are some and people are beginning to interview, many more will open up.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Jobs
Old 02-22-2020, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There will be jobs posted in the coming months. My district doesn't post anything until late March.

You certainly did the right thing by resigning. That sounded like an awful situation, and you have to take care of yourself.

Good luck with the job search.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-23-2020, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We usually don't post jobs for next year until mid April or later. The school budget gets voted on in early March, then we get our contracts a couple weeks after that. Once they see who isn't returning from the signed contracts, then they start posting jobs.
We usually spend May interviewing ( we get out mid/ late June). NH.

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote