Help

The VENT

Can't wait to quit...

>

K12ENLTeacher

Can't wait to quit...
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yes, you all read it right - I cannot wait until June to quit. AT ONCE AND FOR ALL. I AM DONE.

Once again I had the child complain to their parents what a MONSTER I am. Yesterday, as we were lining up for lunch, the female student said she was not feeling sick and she felt like she would throw up. Fine. I said since we were going down anyways, she would split and go to the nurse on the first floor. We went down to the cafeteria (in the G floor), while the sick one went to the nurse.

This morning I get the call from the PRINCIPAL asking if I was aware that one of my female students was sick yesterday. I said I did. Then P went on telling me how that student's irate mother called her this morning to complain about me. The complaint? I did not let her child see the nurse IMMEDIATELY. I was livid. The student saw the nurse within the first 3 minutes of her telling me she was sick, because it takes 3 minutes to get to the G floor from the 5th floor, and 1 minute for her to get to the nurse's office. What in the world did she mean by IMMEDIATELY? Unless the time travel existed or I had a teleportation device... I cannot seem to finish my thoughts so I am just going to leave it here.

These down right ludicrous events happen all the time and I feel like I run an insane asylum most of the times.

The last straw that broke the camel's back was when after I explained the directions for the independent math work, 5 times, and had the written directions displayed on the Promethean board, half of the students turned and with a quizzical look on the faces said, "Wait...what?"

I AM DONE.

K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry, but glad I guess that you can quit this summer. Lots of people don't have that option.

I don't know why parents 100% believe everything their child says. I had good kids and I didn't believe most of what they said- or at least I saw that they have a kids' perception and the other side of the story might sound quite different! Parents are the biggest part of 98% of the problems we see these days!

I work in a computer lab and I write directions step by step for almost everything we do. I am constantly saying, "Did you read the directions?" "What do the directions say?" "What did step 2 say on the directions?"
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just My Opinion...
Old 03-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, you should be upset with this parent.

However, the first question the principal should have asked the parent was "Have you spoken to the teacher? I will speak with you after you've spoken with your child's teacher."

I would be more upset with your principal, but equally upset with the parent did not have this conversation with you.

I would also tell your principal that from now on his/her first question to the parent should be "Have your spoken to the teacher?".

It sounds to me like the troublemakers are running the school. Your principal has no respect for his/her staff and does not have your back!!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Headed in the right direction...
Old 03-05-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The principal could have also pointed out that for safety reasons, since the class was going in the general direction of the nurse, it was best for safety that she not head down there alone if she wasn't feeling well and walk most of the way with the class.

And I agree that if the parent had a concern, the principal should have directed her to contact you. Teachers seem to be the whipping posts for so many things these days. I feel fortunate to be happily retired.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Parent
Old 03-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had parents send their child to school with walking pneumonia. We tried several times to call that the child was not feeling well, but they were unavailable at work. They then phoned the school board the next day saying that we did not try hard enough to contact them and that their son should never have had to stay at school. Well he should never have been sent to school in the first place. Who sends their child to school in that condition? We have no nurses at school btw. There is no way to please all parents.

Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I do not blame you..
Old 03-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was DONE last yr. Then I got a carrot dangled in front of me. I was given a 100x better job for 1 yr only at the school.
THEN it would be back to the classroom next yr. It has been a fairly good yr for me, but I am outta there as soon as the bell rings the last day of school. I'll show up for the workdays.
The inmates are running the asylum here.
2 yrs ago, did me in....
Good luck and things have got to be better after getting out of the system.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Right there with you...
Old 03-10-2020, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but mine is reversed. I had a tough year two years ago. I waited for a certain position to open and enjoyed it. Then was asked by the P to go to the classroom for one year due to a key teacher who quit. Counting the days...one by one. Best wishes to you.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 03-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do not blame you at.all. I need to survive 9 more years to get to minimum retirement years could deal with crazy parents and crazy kids IF admin had backbone and would enforce discipline. Ours panders to the parents and the bad kids. Like you said, the inmates are running the asylum.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote