Anyone Else About To Get Hit Hard by School Closings? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Anyone Else About To Get Hit Hard by School Closings?

>

mommysubs

Anyone Else About To Get Hit Hard by School Closings?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Due to the mass paranoia in my area over COVID-19, they are planning to close schools. There have been ZERO cases in my area. Yet this means as a mere hourly/per diem worker I won't be getting paid. Others such as aides and service workers will have the same issues. And I was looking forward to this month...all booked up. Now it's going to be the month of poverty unless I can find something else to do during the however many weeks they will close. Just awful. The schools will be saving some money though! Anyone else going through this right now?

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My understanding is that schools that close without the recommendation of the health department will not get paid. At a minimum a district has to have someone infected in their community to even be considered for closure. I don't think that schools that close due to public pressure, and not science, are going to make money - they will lose it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-12-2020, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had 12 days booked for 2 different teachers who have cancelled their travel plans. I have a few days booked out but not much. They have bandied back and forth with closing, possibly starting spring break a week early. We have 9 confirmed cases in our county. I’ll just catch up on stuff around the house, I thank God DH has a good job and both kids will be done with college this year.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-12-2020, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am actually working more than usual. Like someone else said, probably because teachers are encouraged to stay home.

mooba1

Old 03-12-2020, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yep, just a few minutes ago, got the notice that my district and several surrounding districts are extending Spring Break by another week.

I’m so tired of the hype about Coronavirus, and how the mainstream media is complicit in trying to whip people into a frenzy. I had a very minor medical procedure this morning, and most of the med staff are completely over it, as well. Also stopped by Office Depot for some copies, and the guys behind the counter were also rolling their eyes over the hysteria that’s being created.

As for losing money, I’ll be fine, but it would’ve been nice to have that extra revenue. Oh well.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 03-12-2020, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My whole county has not had a case yet, let alone my district. But we are closing for two weeks prior to the two week spring break. The county health department asked all schools to close. The staff email said classified staff will be paid as usual, which surprised me. (Of course, subs will not, as usual....)

ETA: The first two weeks will be E-Learning days, not just wasted time

Last edited by YayaSub; 03-13-2020 at 06:06 AM..
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 03-12-2020, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thinking about taking on some babysitting to fill in the gap if school is closed down since I'm sure THAT will be in demand...

luv2teach2017

Old 03-12-2020, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Iím so tired of the hype about Coronavirus
Yep...me too. Too much hype feeding into people's fears. The real damage will be economic.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-12-2020, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Exactly, luv2teach.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

School is not closed but meetings canceled
Old 03-12-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Schools not closed yet, but meetings canceled so I have lost many jobs. Not sure if I even want to be in the schools right now. I might just take a few weeks off.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 03-12-2020, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My neighboring county has just closed all its schools for 2 weeks. I only sub occasionally, any prolonged closure is not going to affect me. I feel for my fellow daily subs and school aides, and other outsourced workers - where is the government help for them?
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My district is still deciding. So on top of budgeting for a mystery amount every month, now I get to budget with the possibility of basically being furloughed for an unclear amount of time.

Honestly working at ####ing Wendy's gives more security than this.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-13-2020, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just read the updated CDC guidelines for school closures. It said that short term school closures, of 2-4 weeks, makes no difference.

They compared cities/countries with high virus infections that closed schools for 2-4 weeks to cities/countries that did not close, and there was no difference.

They said that closing schools for 2 months or more may make a difference, but they don't know.

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi, yup! My county closed for 3 weeks with no notice for the subs and now I'm just sitting here grateful that I took a long term position last month so I can at least not be homeless this month.

I think they should offer subs compensation. I had a lot of jobs lined up for the next three weeks, and now they're -all- canceled with no notice. This district is paying their attendance secretary to come in and take attendance for all 0 kids who show up for the next 3 weeks, but they can't help out their substitutes. Sad as hell, this whole thing just pushed me from being on the fence about changing careers to actively working towards change. And they just gave me 3 weeks to do it, too.

@bodhimom I googled that and found the official page for it, here it is for anyone interested: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ol-closure.pdf

Really fascinating stuff. So basically this 3 week closure won't accomplish anything except destroying my bank account and, I guess, making some union president who's going to get paid regardless really happy that he got something done that's gonna screw over people who now have to pay for childcare, and subs who now have to find different jobs, all to accomplish something the CDC says doesn't make a lick of difference. Very nice job.

Last edited by Aillya; 03-13-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

SubHuman

Old 03-14-2020, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Aillya, thanks for that link!

One thing in there totally surprised me. The virus is much more dangerous for older people (over 60 years old) than for school-age kids, so one argument I have heard in favor of closing schools was to prevent kids from getting infected at school and bringing it home to their elderly grandparents.

The CDC document makes the exact opposite argument!
Quote:
Factors against school closure
o Will increase risk to older adults or
those with co-morbidities, as
almost 40% of US grandparents
provide childcare for
grandchildren. School closures will
likely increase this percentage.
I think they are saying that school closings will increase grandparent contact with children, because grandparents will be asked to take care of kids who are home from school.
SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-14-2020, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
The CDC document makes the exact opposite argument!
Quote:
Factors against school closure
o Will increase risk to older adults or
those with co-morbidities, as
almost 40% of US grandparents
provide childcare for
grandchildren. School closures will
likely increase this percentage.
I think they are saying that school closings will increase grandparent contact with children, because grandparents will be asked to take care of kids who are home from school.
Yep...very good point! And as I mentioned in a previous post, many who are working (including substitute teachers) and volunteering at the schools ARE 60+ (myself included ). Most likely, if they're going to be exposed, they already have been.

Frankly, it's a given that if you spend a lot of time around kids, you're going to be exposed to all manner of bugs. Shutting down schools will not change or stop that. But shutting down people's source of livelihood and social support and interaction will be very damaging. Shutting down schools shuts down communities.

I don't believe the districts are doing this to protect people so much as to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-14-2020 at 09:14 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sevens

Sevens

No Work
Old 03-14-2020, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Schools closed. Now I am trying to find a way to make money online and out in the world. I never thought subbing as a reliable income anyway. I've been looking for a full time teaching job for months. I have some savings. This is bad,but if I get my act together and muster up some courage to survive on my own, it might work out okay for me.

AZsub

sub jobs
Old 03-14-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

What are you charging? I am thinking the same thing.

Have not babysat since i was 13 and am in my 60's now
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 03-14-2020, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Aillya....I am in same boat as you when they close here it will just push me to find new work faster. Schools will be clueless as to why all of their reliable subs are suddenly not working there anymore. Oh wait...you need an income too? Oh....well.. AZ not sure what my rate for babysitting will be yet...what are you thinking?

mommysubs

Old 03-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Aaanndd....my school has been officially closed for an entire month folks! Will I be returning? You can bet your boots no! Will I be getting another job? Indeed I will!

CC96

Yup
Old 03-14-2020, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yep, I am in three districts, I was fairly well booked up for the next three weeks and all of my jobs have been canceled. Iím gonna see if I can get some unemployment.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Suggestion
Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Several large companies like Amazon and Kroger are looking for temp workers. You could apply and see what happens.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I agree that a lot of people who sub and are on the fence are probably going to find other jobs, and not be back to sub. Maybe schools will realize that they need to treat subs better, finally.

I hope we're able to reel the kids back in after all of this or the rest of the year could be a nightmare.