The VENT

Personal Requirements

>

Eln

Eln

Personal Requirements
Old 03-21-2020, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers who do NOT have internet in their homes. Some teachers personally did not budget internet in their homes. They did not want it, need ir.

I use to be one of those teachers. I had my phone with 2 G's and I had access of internet at school. In pinches, I went to the local library and used the internet there. It was free and was pretty fast speed.
During a financial tight time, I did not see spending $80 -180 monthly on a service at home I did not use much. So I did not have internet or cable T.V. for 4 to 5 years after my divorse. Really I did not miss it either. I watch the free stations that I got on antenna and I read books for entertainment.

The expectation is to "work from home: and log on to use Zoom or Skype to collaborate in teams or witness staff meetings." Local libraries are closed now. I guess it is expected that teachers who did not budget personsl internet at home - now have to have it at home to do school work and have to have it to provide on-line learning packages or not what.

I have one teacher friend who drives and parks in the school parking lot to use the school's wifi and does her work from her car. She has to drive home to use the restroom. Crazy!

I know a couple coworkers scrambling to get internet in their homes during spring break. There are free internet services for students? Are there for teachers? Just curious.

booklady57

I'm a geek, but
Old 03-21-2020, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a teammate in exactly the situation you have described. I normally resent any expectation by my employer that I use my own personal devices for work related things. I avoided loading requested campus safety programs on my phone for quite a while until I felt bullied into it.

Now, I recognize that this is an unusual situation, and everyone is doing the best that they can. But, I will now be expected to use my wifi, my computer, my phone or recording device, etc. to try to give the kids some instruction.

A conundrum, for which there are no easy answers.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have Internet at home, but the best we can get is super slow due to our mountain location. DH and I will both have to teach online starting next week. I expect we’ll have trouble!

I considered trying to update to satellite internet, but the cost and having workers come in to install equipment now just isn’t something I want to do.

I’m with you on the expectations of using our personal tech for work with no reimbursement! It’s frustrating.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our district is providing it for teachers and families who do not have internet access. I haven't read into it deeply, but that's what I've heard/read.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-21-2020, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Eliza, Are they providing better access for those who have a weak signal? When I want to post a video for my students during normal times (if I need a sick day,) I can use the hotspot on my phone. But I have limited data, so thatís not an option if I need to teach online.

Weíll figure it out. My kids have invited us to come work from their homes, but that isnít social distancing.

eliza4one

Old 03-21-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

dutchgirl~I'll ask my colleague who is one of the ones that does not have internet at home, yet has to teach from home. I'll post back once I hear back from her! (Spring break right now and I guarantee she is out in nature somewhere).

I do know the district sent out an e-mail asking us about our connections, etc. I didn't even fill it out because I never have any problems...maybe I should have read the e-mail closer...

MissESL

Personal Tools
Old 03-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iím not. Iím sorry, I know this is an unprecedented situation, but I cannot afford it. Even if I could, it is not something Iíd be doing. I have some data on my phone, so Iíve been using it sparingly.

I refuse to feel guilty about not being a teacher who Zooms, Flipgrids, etc. I am doing the best I can with what I have (and Iím a bit jealous of those who can! I miss my kids!)

A colleague has been going to sit in the parking lot at her school to hook up to the staff wireless network on her own laptop. That may be an option for others in desperate times.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can't imagine not having home internet in this day and age! I honestly wonder if that just didn't occur to anyone in your district as they would assume teachers would have it. I could never get by without mine even with no work from home requirements.

If someone is that situation I would contact the district and see what they say. I'm pretty sure if they're requiring you to use it, they would have to provide if you insist. My district used to have certain people carry their cell phones and then text with things like behavior emergencies. A few years ago they switched to walkie talkies because they said technically if they were requiring people to use cell phones for work they would have to pay for them, as theoretically one could say they didn't have/want a cell phone, as improbable as that is. It's worth a shot to at least ask.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-21-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In districts with collaborative union negotiations this problem would be one defined by a change in working conditions. The district would be paying for teacher internet and technical supplies.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 03-21-2020, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My district purchased hotpsots for students who needed them. Perhaps your district could get them for staff who needs them? Out libraries are no longer open but my library also circulates them for no cost.

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Virtual learning
Old 03-21-2020, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My district is requiring virtual learning, videos and Zoom meetings. We are rural, but there are providers who are creating hot spots in parking lots in different cities in my county.

I don't have lots of data at my house - I'm in an internet dead zone. I refuse to get satellite internet. Plenty of other teachers are in the same situation I'm in. I'll have to go into school to work. At this time our schools will still be open for teachers to go in and get online.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

In my case,
Old 03-21-2020, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have home internet but it is super slow. It goes even slower when more than one person or one device is online at once.

I can email, post to Google Classroom or browse the Internet but I cannot/could not make or post video or audio stuff.

At this point, the District is not requiring it. I don't know what I'll do when it comes to that.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-21-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have internet but it is garbage. I live in a rural area and it is my only choice. My 2 sons are now on online college. DS 2 sat in the McDonaldís parking lot the other day.

6/21 of my students either have no internet or no devices or both. Several more just have a phone hotspot.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We are allowed to go into school to work if necessary, so that would solve that problem.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
MAsped
Old 03-21-2020, 06:44 PM
This message has been deleted by MAsped.

annie_g

Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Can you go to school and use your classroom? You'd be by yourself so still social distancing. I don't think schools should expect teachers to have internet access to use for teaching unless they want to pay for it. On the other hand, you are still getting paid to teach so you will have to find access somewhere.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Ma, you are not being very nice
Old 03-21-2020, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My co-worker, who has been at our school for 34 years, does not have internet in her home, does not have a personal computer, does not have a personal email address other that her district email, and does not own a smart phone.
She uses the Internet at school on her school provided laptop — though that’s not option now with our school locked up.

Yet, she is an excellent teacher and one of the most wonderful, generous, and caring people that you will ever meet. She’s one of most requested teachers every year. She is a minimalist. Doesn’t waste money on fancy cars, clothing, etc.

Oh yeah, she is single, so she doesn’t rely on on a guy to buy her anything —this is 2020 not the 1920s.

If you are going to require computer use at home — then the school better be willing to provide the computer and the internet for the home.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote
MAsped
Old 03-22-2020, 12:13 AM
This message has been deleted by MAsped.

LastMinute123

Old 03-22-2020, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

MAsped, for someone who does not have children or a husband and who is not a teacher, you certainly have some very strong opinions about what children and wives and teachers should be doing. People can use the internet to work AT WORK. Plenty of doctors don't have a stethoscope AT HOME.

If you "think educators should constantly be looking up things online to learn what's happening to better teach their kids," then BE AN EDUCATOR AND DO IT. Otherwise, your opinion is moot. I worked as a checkout/stock girl for a year and I grocery shop weekly, but I'm not on a supermarket board telling CEOs how to run their stores.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-22-2020, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

MAsped:

You stated your opinion - very rudely.

I wrote a lengthy reply, but decided not to post it.

Your opinion is your opinion. I disagree with your opinion. My home is not my work place.
By the way, NO one said they don't have fast internet at home because of a spouse. Why are you so angry about people who are married?

MAsped

Old 03-22-2020, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It's not worth arguing about. We all have our opinions. Have a good day.

dutchgirl, and re: people who are married, you totally missed the point of that aspect. I'm not angry about married people. I'm on the women's sides. I'm angry for those ONLY who are married to these controlling husbands and they just put up with it. A husband shouldn't be controlling with his wife. He should treat his woman like a respected equal, yet show chivalry because he loves her and enjoys doing things for her.

Certain women have quite mean, domineering husbands, so I was also adding that IF that's the reason why SOME here don't have internet at home, that someone needs to tell that a-hole where to go with that BS. My beliefe is that if I'm working and earning my OWN money, no man's going to tell me what I can't have.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-22-2020, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

By the way, this topic of teachers not having their own computers/internet is genuinely interesting to me and I want to know what people think, so I started a thread about it on one of the other boards I belong to. The people over there tend to not get nearly as offended. If someone said exactly what I had said about this topic, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape. That's their opinion, so great.

I see threads on there that I guess would really rile some people up on this board. But nevertheless, they're quite interesting topics that make for an interesting discussion.

eliza4one

Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Not everyone has a rich husband, or a husband at all for that matter.

The coworker I am talking of at my school is single, buying a house, and has to cut corners any way she can. She does not have internet and that is NO reason to judge her (your post that you deleted was very judgmental).

She can easily (and does) research any/all current educational topics AT WORK. She often stays until 9:00 at night to do work.

So, NO! She does not need internet at home to do her job. We are paid for contract hours. 8:40-4:10. That is all she is required to do for her job. Of course she does more. What teacher doesn't? However, having internet at home is NOT indicative of an effective, caring teacher.

Your post seemed to indicate otherwise...

eliza4one

Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

In this time of great upheaval, your (often judgmental) posts do more harm than good. If you know your other site is more open to posts such as yours, then post there. PT is a more caring, supportive site I would presume.

You, of course, are free to post what you wish. Just don't expect no one to respond in kind.
Eln

Eln

Old 03-22-2020, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

The lady in the car in the parking lot . . Her husband died of cancer last year. She is left raising 3 kids on her own. Her parents passed away when she was young. Her grandmother raised her. Now she is not only taking care of her three kids, but her grandmother as well. I don't know her financial situation. It is really none of my business.

MAsped, it is not a matter of being offended. It is about being insensitive and jumping to a conclusion. One never knows where another person is in life or what another person is dealing with

MAsped

Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

eliza4one, I never said anyone has to have a husband or needs one, wants one, etc. and I could have left my other post up there, but chose to remove it so as not to ruffle any more feathers.

And if your coworker, "often stays until 9:00 at night to do work", then YIKES, that's rough! To me, that obviously means she needs it at home where she'd be much more comfortable and safe, etc. having it at home. And I don't need to be married or have a family to know that. That means she's at work in the morning at 7am or so, sometimes earlier all the way to 9pm often. I don't know about you, but that's no life to me. She's living at work and wasting paying rent/mortage then. At least doctors who have those kinds of hours get the big bucks for it...unfortunately, teachers don't.

Again, I'm on her side and people like that because I feel for them. It doesn't have to be that hard and grueling. For anyone who spends 12-14 or more hours "often" days at their jobs, they could be at home a lot more if they'd make the (financial) adjustment to get the internet at home, then they should be all for it.

We always talking about how our health and well being is more important than any job and/or money, so people should WANT the internet at home in that case.

MAsped

Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

LastMinute123 and on the contrary, I do some teaching and a couple of other jobs for the last just about 6 years remotely now and love it. I taught and had another similar job in the schools for 4 years (B&M aka brick and mortar).

eliza4one

Old 03-22-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

You are judging again...!

She doesn't get there at 7:00 a.m. Our contract hours are 8:45. She comes in at about 8:30. She doesn't stay EVERY night until 9:00. Whether she's working at school or working at home until 9:00, it doesn't matter! She's working, regardless. She'd rather save money and work at school on those evenings she needs to. If it saves money, good for her.

You live in CA. You, of all people should know that single teachers struggle with housing. She chose to buy a house so that her wealth grows. Smart move! She's also doing it by herself. Doesn't have a SO or spouse to help her. She doesn't need to rethink her decisions. She's actually highly intelligent and resilient.

You don't know this teacher. She is out and about every single weekend and every single break camping, hiking, leading river guides, working at National Parks, leading zip lining tours, taking outdoor/adventure university classes to advance her knowledge which she then passes onto her students. (FAR better than "searching the internet" for ideas (your suggestion for why teachers need internet)), etc. The girl is never/rarely home! And she wouldn't have it any other way.

Since she's never/rarely home, she doesn't need internet. Period.

I am not sure why you are so stuck on this "teachers MUST have internet to do their jobs". No they don't.

MAsped

Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

eliza4one, OK you're getting too worked up here, calm down. I never said she works every night till 9p. I used your wording of "often", which means more than 1/2 that's for sure. OK, so she's at work 1 - 1.5 hrs later than I said, OK. That's not judging, I'm showing that she's even working a bit more than she really does. I threw in some extra hours for any meetings, etc. that teachers attend (SSTs, IEPs, etc). Again, I feel for her and others like her, which you seem to be ignoring that part.

You darned right she's rarely at home, since she's at work on the school's internet "often till 9pm" (as you said) along with the hiking, etc. that she does. She sounds like a great, earnest person who gets out there and enjoys life, that's great!

Let's stop this back and forth and enjoy our activities at home.

Last edited by MAsped; 03-22-2020 at 10:34 AM..

LastMinute123

Old 03-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

You have posted more than once that you didn't stick with being a special ed classroom teacher of record for various reasons. You also tend to have very strongly worded opinions about what teachers should be doing, how kids should be behaving, and how parents should be parenting.

Like I posted above, I worked as a checkout/stock girl for a year and change and I grocery shop weekly. That does NOT mean I have the wherewithall to instruct the manager or CEO of the store.

You're not a classroom teacher, nor did you do the job long enough to master it. Therefore, your opinion about what classroom teachers "should" do should not be expressed as advice. That also applies to what wives should do and what parents should do. Parenting advice from a non-parent makes parents roll their eyes. Everyone is a perfect parent in their head before they have kids. The same goes for teaching advice from a non-classroom teacher and spouse-advice from a non-spouse.

Your opinions about what people who "do some teaching" online should do are certainly valid and would trump my views on that matter.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 03-30-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

In some places it is not possible to have a fast connection.

There are families that don't have a computer or laptop because phones satisfies all of their needs.

If I had to deal with all of this full time I'd prefer to do the work at school. There are way too many distractions at home.

ISPs are just like utility companies and they don't have to worry about much competition. They can charge whatever they want.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-30-2020, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

America has a problem with greedy companies that provide internet service. These corporate thugs are rubbing their hands together loving the problems of the middle and lower class.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote