Help

The VENT

Psycho about communication

>

GreyhoundGirl

Psycho about communication
Old 03-23-2020, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My P is excellent but she’s absolutely psycho about parent communication. Next year she’s requiring we all use the same platform, we keep a common log and we communicate a set number of times with parents.

Personally I don’t think parents are going to want to hear from us that often, but whatever.

Now, with us being out of school and distance learning I fear she’s going g to be even more psycho about parent communication next year. I fear it’s going to have the opposite effect and annoy parents. Parents have neither the time nor the inclination to hear from us once a week. They only want to hear from us if we actually have something to say.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

We were required to have a website
Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For awhile we were required to have monthly newsletters. We weren't allowed to have our own format, it had to be on a template designed by the district's computer teacher. The principal also wanted us to think a month ahead, and not just say what we had done in the different subjects during the month. Very few people actually read the newsletters, except for the first newsletter around the time of Back-to-School-Night. A total waste of time...

Then, they decided we had to have a grade level website to replace the newsletters. We updated it quarterly. Luckily, one of my grade level partners was a computer guru, so we would divide the different subject areas up, send our write-ups to her and she would upload everything. It took her two minutes, I would still be trying to figure it out.

I am retired now, but always resented that apparently being a publicist is not part of our job description. I managed to retire before we were required to have a Twitter account, which was not required when I was teaching. I always sent my own newsletter out on a regular basis before it was required, but it was always when I had something specific to say.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 03-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree GG. Especially after all of this, they've had enough of us
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh yeah, we need to have a newsletter, plus the school newsletter. Does she really think parents read all this?
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

communication
Old 03-23-2020, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Welcome to my school.

It is a middle school and we have to: contact all parents at least once a quarter, contact parents any time a grade falls below a C, contact parents any time work is missing, contact parents when we will be available for after-school catch up time and meet with parents if behavior continues after previous contact attempts.

Posting information on our web site and parent access to grade book, lesson plans and discipline write ups do not count. Most of our teachers have about 150 students. Most students have at least six teachers.

Yeah, I am surprised parents still pick up the phone.

And administration does not like us to email parents and believes parents when parents say, "no one told me."

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We had to do that at my last school, but the number of required communications was relatively small. we had to communicate a positive by X date, and at least 3 more times during the year or something like that. But any contact (email, phone, note) had to be documented by us and kept in a file.

I did cringe at your use of "psycho"- in my field it's a little like the use of "retarded" as a derogatory term.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-23-2020, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't think there can ever be too much communication! No surprises that way!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Parent communication
Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Nothing was mandated, but I sent out a weekly newsletter. I gave lots of heads ups about future events, homework, etc.

The PTO sent out a weekly newsletter.

The District sent out a monthly newsletter.

And still, far, far too many phone calls from parents wanting to know all the details of events that had been discussed in all the previous paper and emails sent home.

I believe parents just figured there was so much info coming in from so many various departments, they just didnít bother reading anything.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

When I was in school
Old 03-23-2020, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I donít think my parents ever heard from my teachers. When my children went to school I never heard from my childrenís teachers, and to be honest, I wouldnít have wanted to. Leave parents alone. They just want us to teach.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Too much
Old 03-23-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Too much communication can backfire. My principal a few years ago used the All-Call system to call parents 2 or 3 times a week with reminders, general info, etc. Many parents started blocking the calls. We found that out when they'd claim nobody told them about the book fair, open house, pajama day, etc. Apparently they didn't read the hand-outs either!

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Jov
Old 03-24-2020, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was like that at my last district.

Any time change for an athletic event or practice (?!?) was put on the district all call. I stopped picking up when it called and almost missed a snow day announcement.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote