Help

The VENT

Teachers and social media

>

Violet4

Teachers and social media
Old 03-24-2020, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There's been posts on here about this but I'm "joining the club." I'm feeling guilty because I had shared on Facebook that schools are closed but I didn't share any feelings about it. "Virginia schools are closed for the year..."
I think some took it to mean that I'm heartbroken because I got sad emojis and "love you" reactions. I said aw thank you but feel guilty that my post was more out of shock and not because I'm heartbroken we won't finish the year. Of course I don't want it to be under these circumstances, and I do feel for families, especially ones who are dealing with financial hardship or health problems. But this year was absolutely wrecking my mental health, and I have a new job in July.

Just getting it out there.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-24-2020, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't feel guilty; it's not your fault how people took it. I am in between. While I do feel bad for my kids, and have a bit of shock over it all, I'm not heartbroken. My year was nothing like yours, but it was a tricky class. It's ok.

I actually talked about that with my (online) therapist. Here is her reply in case it's helpful for you too.

"There seems to be this skewed belief that to be a good teacher you should love every minute of your job. That isn't true in any field, why would we expect it from teachers. It is okay not to be crushed that you are basically done with work for the summer (honestly if every teacher loved their job that much they would all work in summer school as well). Especially with this class of talkers..."
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty. I feel like I dodged a bullet because my test scores were probably going to be lower than usual.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am honestly debating on either eliminating social media or making my group of friends very small after this! People read way too much into things you put or don't put. In one of our many zoom meetings it was brought up that a few teachers (I was one) hadn't expressed how much they missed their students on social media. The whole meeting was about things some snooping teachers found and were reading way too much in.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

iloveglitter
Old 03-24-2020, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So now we're being called out for not posting things? I don't blame you for wanting to delete it or narrow your group of friends down. There are some people who I don't mean any disrespect to but I'm not going to be friending them because they talk about literally everything people say or don't say.

This is unrelated but here's some butterflies haha I need to see something pretty

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Feelings
Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We're still in school where I am, but if we do close I will genuinely miss this group because they are AMAZING + I truly feel bonded.

But, there are some classes where I wouldn't have minded a bit. We can control our actions and words, but feelings are harder. It's definitely ok to feel relieved or indifferent or whatever.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

midwestread

No Guilt
Old 03-25-2020, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

take other people's responses as reflections of where they are at emotionally. Good Lord, I am happy to scrap this year. This is a HUGE Mulligan that I am grateful for (not at the expense of people dying of course.)
midwestread is offline   Reply With Quote