Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís April! What are you reading?

>

amiga13

Itís April! What are you reading?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:44 AM

Lots of time to read?

I loved The Dutch House so much! I often don’t appreciate a good book til I’m done, but I loved every word of this beautifully written story. A friend listened to it and told me Tom Hanks did the reading; I laughed and laughed because, when I was reading it, in my mind’s eye I saw the narrator Danny as Tom Hanks.

When I was done with The Dutch House, I started thinking about Patchett’s other books I’d read long ago. I remembered them as good, not brilliant like this one. But maybe I was wrong? So I listened to State of Wonder and Bel Canto and right now I’m halfway through Commonwealth. They’re all good books, well worth reading. Patchett is a gifted writer with wonderful understatement. But IMO the previous books don’t hold a candle to The Dutch House. I’m sure a lot of you have read it for book clubs, but if you haven’t read it yet, yum, dig in.

Now I’m reading A Good Neighborhood by Fowler and am not impressed. It feels like poorly done YA.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Child of the Dream
Old 04-02-2020, 05:46 AM

I'm reading a juvenile fiction book right now!

It's called "Child of the Dream: A Memoir of 1963". It's written by Jackie Robinson's daughter and is a memoir of 1963 for her. It is really good!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-02-2020, 06:20 AM

Lean on Me by Pat Simmons
This was the library Together We Read. It's a love story wrapped in Alzheimer's caregiving. It does a fairly good job of the early beginning stages, but ends before the caring gets tough and the painful decisions have to be made. There is a sequel and that may be dealt with there.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
A video goes viral and life changes.

The Guest Book by Sarah Blake
A multi-generational family saga exposing long buried secrets and truths.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-02-2020, 06:26 AM

I have recently checked out 2 ebooks from the libraryó and hated them both, which is pretty unusual.

I just started The New Girl by Daniel Silva. I like it so far but Iím only 50 pages in as of now.

I read The Guest Book not too long ago and enjoyed it!
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-02-2020, 06:27 AM

Twisted Twenty Six by Janet Evanovich - I needed something light to read!

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Reading
Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 AM

Just finished Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail honeyman. (It was cute). Now, I have just started The Sum Of Our Days by Isabel Allende ( sort of her biography).
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 04-02-2020, 07:17 AM

I reread The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. It is the story of three unusual characters who find love again after losing it.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 04-02-2020, 07:20 AM

I read Furiously Happy. It is a about the authorís struggles with anxiety and depression. She is a humorist and many times I found myself smiling or laughing, however, it got very monotonous and I struggled to finish.

Iím almost done with I Owe You One. Itís a very predictable, light read.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-02-2020, 07:44 AM

I'm reading several books at a time: a couple of dozy mysteries (my favorite easy reads, one is by Kaitlyn Dunnett who sets her books in Maine and her protagonist runs a Scottish Emporium, the other is by Carleen O'Connor and set in ireland). I just finished reading On The Noodle Road about a Chinese-American woman who travels from China to Italy in an attempt to determine where noodles originated. I'm also reading Hiding the Elephant about the history of magicians.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 04-02-2020, 08:45 AM

I'm having a hard time concentrating to be honest, but I have a big stack TBR.

I think first up, is American Dirt. I've heard good things about it online as well as IRL. I know it was recommended pretty highly here on PT.

Most recently I read When Time Stopped by Ariana Neumann which was excellent.

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 04-02-2020, 08:57 AM

I am reading Golden In Death, JD Robb. It is the last book she has out right now. I would love suggestions for any murder mystery books. I like light reads as well.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 04-02-2020, 09:05 AM

I'm reading A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World. After that will be Twisted Twenty Six, I'll need something to make me laugh.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

A good thriller...
Old 04-02-2020, 09:31 AM

I am reading House on Fire by Joseph Finder. It is a good thriller about the exposure of a fictional big pharma company involved in covering up the addictive properties of its main drug product.

I also read The Big Lie by James Grippando. Loved this one. It had his recurring character, lawyer Jack Swyteck, but it could be read as a stand along without starting at the first book in the series. This one involved behind-the-scenes corruption during the presidential election campaign.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-02-2020, 09:42 AM

Right now: Maggie: A Journey of Love, Loss and Survival by Vicki Tapia. I can't say I'm exactly enjoying it; it's the story of a woman's exit from an abusive marriage at the turn of the century (19th to 20th). It's a little horrifying to think of how few rights women had then. It's a worthwhile read, though.

Earlier: The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson I was able to pick this up just before the library closed and I'm so glad. What a wonderful book!

The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick. I loved and hated this book at the same time. It was a good story but I just wanted to take Martha and shake her. Whether in real life or in fiction, I'm always annoyed by people who allow themselves to be doormats. But then, I guess it's good writing if you have a strong reaction to the protagonist.

Last edited by Tori58; 04-02-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

My list
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM

I also loved The Dutch House. I just finished Educated and enjoyed it. I also read American Dirt. It was very good. I read another in THe Sun Sister series. The next one is available in May.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-02-2020, 10:45 AM

I'm having a hard time reading right now too. I've been enjoying The Dutch House on audiobook (read by Tom Hanks) and The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson, a saga of the Churchill family, on my Kindle.

For those who like literary fiction, not literary fiction, and people who like to talk about books, I recommend the podcast Backlisted. Great for listening, great for falling back to sleep at 3 AM when your mind is racing.

https://unbound.com/boundless/2020/0...y-ian-fleming/
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-02-2020, 10:46 AM

I just finished the most recent Shopaholic book. Love that series for good, clean fun I'm now reading The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy. So far, I'm intrigued. I read a few good books last week, but now I can't remember what they were I've also read cozy-like mysteries by the person wrote The Testing YA trilogy (I liked that trilogy, as I recall)- Joelle Charbonneau.

I started reading Vendetta by Iris Johansen and remembered how much I hate the way she writes dialogue and put it aside. I also started 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne but decided I wasn't into that right now.

These are all library books I've checked out- some ebooks and some physical books.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Books
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 AM

I'm reading Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout. I enjoyed her earlier book about the Olive Kitteridge character, and this one is good too.

Count me in as the only one around here who did not care for The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I read about half the book and lost interest in the plot and characters. I liked State of Wonder and a few of her other books but was disappointed in this one.

I'll start Amercian Dirt soon too.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Janet L
Old 04-02-2020, 11:15 AM

I, too, enjoyed The Story of Arthur Truluv. I always find Elizabeth Berg's books to be full of interesting characters with great plot lines.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear Iím not the only one having trouble concentrating to read right now! I normally finish a book within a day when Iím homeó not lately.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 04-02-2020, 12:04 PM

I’m currently reading Is This How it Always is? I find the topic interesting, one that I admit I know little about.

Such a Fun Age was an interesting look at privilege and racism.

I read Amy Wambach’s Wolfpack. She was a speaker at our local theater speakers series. I really wish I was still working to be able to put a concept or 2 of hers to work. It was a very quick read, but some good, sound ideas to ponder.

For a light read I read The Secret, Book, and Scone Society. 4 broken women come together and learn to trust one another. They also work together to solve 2 murders in their sleepy resort town. The character development was good. There are 2 more stories with the same character and setting. I’m not one for series too often, but this one is just good entertainment and I will likely continue to read in between heavier reads.

The Water Dancer was okay. I may need to circle back on this one to get another view.

Nickel Boys was a great read. It takes place in a reform school in Florida and deals with the atrocities of the times of the civil rights movement.

At the beginning of the month I read Still Alice. That one still haunts me.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 04-02-2020, 12:47 PM

American Gospel- God, the Founding Fathers and the Making of a Nation by Jon Meachem

The Jetsetters by Amanda Ward

Failing Up by Leslie Odom, Jr.

I haven’t started any of these yet. I’ll know by May’s post if they are good.

Tori, I didn’t care for The Library of Lost and Found either. I found the characters annoying.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 04-02-2020, 02:19 PM

I'm reading An Unorthodox Match about a young woman who joins an Jewish ultra-Orthodox community hoping to find someone with whom to settle down and have a family. I'm enjoying it so far.

Last edited by puzzle1mom; 04-02-2020 at 06:46 PM..
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Old 04-02-2020, 03:42 PM

I have finished Angels and Demons, The Red Tent, and The Silent Patient. I loved them all. I read Wicked about 15 years ago and thought I would try it again. I know a lot of people like it, but it is so bizarre to me. I really donít like it at all so far.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 04-02-2020, 04:33 PM

I just finished Water for Elephants and The Churn.

I really enjoyed both. I know Water for Elephants was popular a while ago, but if you haven't read it I recommend it.

The Churn is a novella that is part of The Expanse if you have read the books or watched the show. It's really good sci fi. It was a little bit of Amos's back story.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Eccj
Old 04-02-2020, 06:46 PM

I tried to read Wicked years ago and I just COULD NOT get past about the first 1/4 of it. I love the musical, but the book is a TOUGH read.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 PM

I've noticed my library holds are coming much faster these days!

Today I finished American Dirt. I know it was controversial, but I thought it was a good story and really makes you think about the faces of migrants and illegal immigrants.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls was a very good memoir. I always enjoy reading about people who grow up so differently than I did.

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Lots of good insights on loss and grieving.

Other People's Houses by Assi Waxman. I know I read this, but I honestly don't remember a lot about it so it obviously wasn't a stand out for me.

The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee. A great memoir of a girl who escapes North Korea.

Cilka's Journey - the sequel to the Tattooist of Auschwitz. This was fantastic.

Maisie Dobbs. I have heard a lot about this series. I thought it was just okay. I'm realizing that I just don't really like mysteries very much.

Blue Nights by Joan Didion. Another good book about loss and grief.

Go Set a Watchman. I reread To Kill a Mockingbird a while ago, but had never read this. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first.

Some I started but did not finish - The Other Family, A Symphony of Echoes, A Woman of No Importance, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 04-02-2020, 07:33 PM

In March, I read:
The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti. It was compelling enough to finish
The Bones Of Paris by Laurie R King. Post WW1 mystery, written well enough that it made want to read more books by the author
Warlight by Michael Ondaatje. Great book! I read it for my book club.
Neverwhere by Nick Gaiman. I was pleasantly surprised by how readable this was since the only other book I've experienced by him was American Gods which I thought was a terrific idea but really badly executed, so badly executed that I couldn't get past about a third. Neverwhere, OTOH, is tightly written and exciting.
The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. ahh. It's lovely. I read it today in one sitting.

I'm still reading Leonardo DaVinci by Walter Isaacson and I just started The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny. I love Louise Penny!

@amiga13--I loved Bel Canto. It's my favourite of her books. I just put The Dutch House on hold. I'm #76 on 15 books so I might get it in July or August.

@eccj and puzzle1mom, I feel the same way about Wicked. I'd heard such great things about it but I couldn't get through it.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 PM

Just one book this month:
The overstory, by Richard Powers. Great book about trees and humans addressing current issues, with interesting characters...
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote