Help

The VENT

Stop!

>

TeacherPK6

Stop!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's driving me crazy how admin is almost making it seem like we're not doing enough and/or that we should be doing "all the things." Even with the bare bones basics parents are completely overwhelmed! Many parents still have to work in some capacity! I have students where both parents are in the medical or first responder field. Stop it with making us feel like we're not doing enough because academics aren't "business as usual, just online."

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that a lot of the directives are coming from above, not the local level. DH and I work in different districts, but we are being given almost identical tasks from administration, and our administrators are usually pretty different in their approach to things.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I have tremendous respect for...
Old 04-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have tremendous respect for all the teachers, students, and families who are working so hard to carry these distance learning plans out.

I am retired now, but looking at what my district expects each teacher to do as it moves into Phase Two of e-learning, exhausts and stresses me just looking at the requirements. Teachers will be expected to meet electronically as a grade level to develop video lessons and they are supposed to submit their plans on Friday for the following week. They will have to meet twice weekly with their class as a large group and then individually or in small groups during the week. The students will submit their work in Google folders. I think the district gave the teachers a professional day to work on this, I assume electronically together to plan these things. And as far as I know, the evaluation requirements for teachers have not changed, although the dates for submission of materials has shifted.

It is definitely not business as usual. I feel stressed just looking at this. In the first phase, the students had choice boards which was primarily review work and that wasn't bad. Looking at the new requirements, it seems daunting to me, and I feel so lucky I am not involved with it. I wish everyone dealing with this the best.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Sorry.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We keep hearing the exact opposite. Anything we do will be right, start small, only one hour a day, etc.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

lessons
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just talking to a friend who works in a school but not not the lead teacher. She said it is full time just helping one child each day. She can't imagine having several children and trying to work from home. Each teacher has different expectations and time frames.
The work is being graded. This is MS.

The poor kids who are fending at home for themselves and/or younger siblings while parents work at the hospitals, nursing homes, grocery stores and other low pay jobs. It is a stressful time.

Our state has April vacation coming up. The state is giving districts the option of working vacation week and finishing a week earlier in June. Mixed feelings...abound.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Honestly, I hate this. I teach a self- contained middle school moderate/ severe special needs classes. I am the only such teacher in the building. My students have complex needs and many have 1:1 aides. Many of my students have multiple disabilities and several are non-verbal . E-learning is not the best for them . None of the directives so far apply to me , everything is geared towards the general education teacher and special education inclusion/ resource teachers. I have no direction and just feel like my students just don’t matter.
Purplecrayons is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel for you. These kids need help but I donít know how you can help them and still maintain health considerations
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wish we had clear cut guidelines from the state department on this, but it’s basically been left up to the districts. My district is taking grades and assigning legit work. A neighboring district is assigning project base things and not taking grades.

I can tell you that I’m NOT looking forward to making my 9 year-old sit down and do legit work next week. Kids are hard enough to focus after Spring Break, and I think to a lot of them summer has already started in their minds. We only have 23 days left. I really wish we weren’t so hardcore right now.

To make matters worse, DH is working one week on and one week off. It’s going to be really hard to make him focus when his dad is around.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote