Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Teenagers and 'Lock Down'

>

mhugs

Teenagers and 'Lock Down'
Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM

How are your teens dealing with the stay at home mandates and no social life. Talked with DD this afternoon about our grandson.
He is really missing his friends. He's almost 17 and doing school on-line is okay. I don't know if being an only is tougher. DD is doing her full day WFH.

The kids do their face time, chats, play games etc. Rides his mountain bike when the weather is decent. Damp dreary, 40ish...

Okay...parents of teens...teachers of teens and good coping ideas?

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Teens
Old 04-03-2020, 04:37 PM

My freshman daughter is really missing soccer and her boyfriend. That´s it. School she loves doing online at her own pace. This is really hard for them to be suddenly removed from all of their activities and people. They face time all the time but it´s definitely not the same as seeing people in person.
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-03-2020, 04:50 PM

I was wondering about the same for toddlers . Just exactly what do parents say when their children see grandparents often and now do not or see grandparents with masks? GD seemed sad today and puzzled too.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 04-03-2020, 04:53 PM

My son is 16 and he is doing OK. He does his online schoolwork and plays a LOT of video games where he talks/chats with school friends. A week or two ago, some of the neighborhood kids would be out riding bikes or hanging outside for a bit but no more. He works at a grocery store a few days a week for 3 or 4 hours at a time. (We are a little concerned but we are getting him a mask.) Today is the first day I heard him say he's starting to get bored. He's not an only child but our older son has autism and they don't interact socially at all. It's hard for everyone. I wish I had more suggestions but we all seem to be in the same boat right now.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 04-03-2020, 04:56 PM

My DS 17 is struggling. I am the “only parent in the county” who isn’t letting him hang with his friends. Today I let him go to his live alone uncle’s farm. They were outside and neither have been around others. Our bull broke his halter and another was a necessity. I would rather him go to the farm than a store. The bull was pulling the wires out of the tractor and flipping the lights on and off. He is our problem child right now.

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Sorry, I have no ideas at the moment,
especially when I can here the neighbors down the road gathering again for their weekend lawn party (under 10 people, but what is wrong with adults?)
Yes, they are loud. Yes, they are idiots.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

My boys are grown
Old 04-03-2020, 05:35 PM

but if I was in the situation with teens I would be teaching mine to cook, plan meals on a budget, clean house, change a tire and change the car oil. Just one lesson a day, but it would help fill some time. Could also teach him to sew a button on. What about dancing? Does he know how to slow dance?

Might also do a big project together like clean and organize the garage.

I would also ask them to journal about this experience as it is part of history.

Maybe the family could all read the novel he is reading for LA as a family and discuss.

Family could also create a time capsule together to open in ten years.

What if he planned the next family vacation? No exact dates but everything else on a budget.

Teenagers need to be busy!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Old 04-03-2020, 06:11 PM

My 2 teenage kids are not much different then when they were toddlers - she was very social and wanted someone to play with all the time, he was always able to amuse himself.
DS 14 is doing fine. He goes for a run each day and then spends the rest of the day connecting with his friends on PlayStation. Our distance learning doesn't start until Monday and then I will be nagging him to do work.
DD 17 is trying her best to stay busy. She is a senior and Prom and Grad are still up in the air, so far school only cancelled until end of April, but will most likely not open until June if at all. She missed a Ringette tournament and was disappointed by that too. She is connecting with her friends virtually, but for her it isn't enough. We bake often, go for family walks and every night after dinner we do a family activity - board game, movies etc.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-03-2020, 07:44 PM

Mine are surprisingly doing okay. Not loving it, of course, but not being horrible. All three have cleaned their rooms! They are helping with chores when asked without balking! We've even played a lot of board games together.

My boys play video games with their friends A LOT. Like a lot a lot. But it's their way to stay connected.

My older ds also goes out and practices his hockey shots, rides his bike, or works out in the garage almost daily.

My dd is holed up in her room for much of the day. She stays connected with friends and does some of her dance classes online. She's having the hardest time, though, because she's a senior. They cancelled prom and graduation as of yesterday. She's mourning all of her plans and end of year dance stuff. She has people she thinks she'll never see again. I feel horrible for her. She and I go for a walk every day which has been lovely.

All three hate online school. Our schools are not giving grades or teaching new material, so they've pretty much said they aren't going to do it. The high schoolers will just study for their AP tests, but that's about all.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-04-2020, 05:06 AM

Goodness. I have to say that I'm relieved to read all of this. I thought I was alone. My DD also misses her friend and HATES online school. She can do things to improve her grades (like making up missing work or redoing an assignment for a better grade) but anything new is ungraded. Even things that I think are interesting or that she'd do out of boredom are a fight. There are some things that are unclear in terms of graduation requirements but the struggle is real y'all. My DD is staying upstairs in her room a lot . She got news a few days ago that a friend of hers died. They weren't close but he dated her friend and managed the cross country team that she runs on. I think she misses being around friends who understands this.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 04-04-2020, 06:46 AM

DD is home from college and is challenging. She hats online learning. Thank goodness for Facetime. She still has contact with her college friends.

DS is severely learning disabled. I have not been pushing him with school. He struggles socially and that was the only part about school that he liked. I feel like a bad parent for not pushing him, but I know it will go nowhere.

I wonder about others with kids with Special Needs...please update.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote