Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Grocery store adventure

>

amiga13

Grocery store adventure
Old 04-05-2020, 07:34 AM

I made it quite a while into the pandemic with groceries I had, then 10 days ago I made another trip to Ralph’s (Kroger’s). Today I went during Senior time, 6:30 on Sunday morning. I had to take my reusable bags back to the car as a sign said they’re not allowed in the store. The doors were locked, they let me in then relocked.

The store was sparkling, the carts newly cleaned, and I saw 3 other shoppers in the whole store. Everyone wore a mask (well, I wore a ski headband). Though there seemed to be less of each item, they had everything I wanted. The hardest part was opening plastic bags for produce without licking. I did have to pay a 60 cent bag fee, but I’d rather that than having my groceries returned loose to the cart.

As the manager unlocked the door to let me out, she looked in my full cart and said, “Oh good, you stocked up. See you in....”
“2 weeks,” I finished.
“Good for you! Thank you! I appreciate it.”

I came home, washed my hands, washed groceries, wiped down everything the bags and I had touched (including the interior of my car, keys, my debit card, counters). Then I washed my hands a final time.

I survived, despite that dangerous ocean air.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 AM

Glad it was a pleasant experience.

I understand the produce bag problem. Two things have worked for me. First I try rubbing the top of the bag between the palms of my hands. I think the heat generated helps. If that doesn't work I wait for the spray system to go on and dampen my fingertips.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
First I try rubbing the top of the bag between the palms of my hands.
Thatís a great idea, RetiredKat! Iíll store that in the memory banks.

I did think of the sprayer in Produce, but there was no sprayer in Seafood.

juliet4

Bags
Old 04-05-2020, 07:57 AM

Just washed all my bags in washer and dried in dryer. You can use your own bags here IF you bag your own groceries. I have no problem doing that.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Licking your fingers
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 AM

During the last week of school I was doing a read aloud, this is after we already talked about different ways to keep ourselves healthy including not touching your face etc. Quite early in the story I caught myself licking my finger to turn the page, and we kind of made a joke about it (kindergarten) and then....didnít I do it two more times! Some things are so automatic.

CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-05-2020, 08:52 AM

I am going Tuesday morning. I plan to put the groceries loose in the cart at checkout, and then take them out to my car to bag. I will have wipes on hand to wipe containers before they go in the clean reusable bags. That way, what I bring in my house will already be clean...except produce, which I will wash at home. I think that will work...Tell me if I missed something!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-05-2020, 09:18 AM

lisa, that sounds like a great plan. Smart and efficient. Iíd like to say Iíll use your plan in 2 weeks, but by then Iím sure everything will have changed.

I forgot to say the checkstands have plexiglass dividers. Self-check creeps me out for now because thereís too much touching.

There are several workers at the store Iíve come to like because they were enormously kind when I moved here and I tried to find things in a new-to-me store. This morning I saw one in the bread aisle. We both had masks on. We waved and as I passed her I said, ďIím smiling.Ē She replied, ďIím smiling, too.Ē

tia

Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM

lisa--i really like that tip! will have to try and remember to use it.

FYI: we've been setting the bags on the floor of the kitchen and bending over to pull things out to clean--rather than use all the counter space to start with.
tia is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

This is basically
Old 04-05-2020, 10:14 AM

what I do.

Quote:
I plan to put the groceries loose in the cart at checkout, and then take them out to my car to bag. I will have wipes on hand to wipe containers before they go in the clean reusable bags. That way, what I bring in my house will already be clean...except produce, which I will wash at home.
Except at the commissary they won't just put them back into the cart. So, I get plastic bags, leave them on the ground, wipe and rebag everything into my bags. I put all of the plastic bags into one other bag, put them in the corner of my trunk covered by an old sleeping bag. I leave the bags in there for a week, since the virus can be on plastic for several days. Then I can take them out and we use them at home.

A pretty similar system.
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

juliet4
Old 04-05-2020, 10:28 AM

We could use our own bags on Friday. We can't bring them in the store as of Saturday.

I don't know what day it is let alone what rule applies - can't keep up with the changes.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

amiga
Old 04-05-2020, 10:31 AM

Could you buy tp or clorox wipes?

My Vons started putting a thin plastic over the card reader. They pull it off and change after each customer.

They hired a bunch a temporary workers. They are in charge of wiping down each cart after use.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Sonoma, yes, they had TPóa couple of different kinds. I didnít notice Clorox wipes because I still have quite a few at home and donít need to buy them yet.

chipmunky

My DH and I went to costco
Old 04-05-2020, 11:33 AM

and a local grocery store during senior hour last week. We tried to get everything we would need. We used their bags and left them in the garage and brought the items into the laundry room to sanitize them before putting them away. Sanitized everything, changed clothes and even washed our clothes.
We are taking our own "Old Person Challenge" We are trying to go without going to the store until May! Since we think of it as a challenge, we don't feel deprived. I may have cheated though. I ordered yeast online a week and a half ago. It was expected to come after Easter, and it came TODAY! So little did I realize how happy a container of yeast could make me!
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-05-2020, 12:09 PM

I put a tarp in the trunk of my car. I wipe down my groceries in the garage with the garage door up and take them into the house in clean bags. I take the produce out of the store bags, put it in a bag that I've had for weeks and put it all in a sink of water to be washed before going into different bags or into the crisper unbagged. I collect the store bags and put them all inside one bag and put that in a cardboard box in the garage. The tarp goes out on the clothesline until the next time I need it and I wipe down my car door handles, steering wheel and such. My purse lives under the seat in my locked car and garage, now. I wash my produce and then take a shower and change clothes. Eventually I'll take the store bags back to be recycled. Next time I might see if I can get away with putting loose items in the cart.

There are several ways to deal with clingy plastic bags without licking your fingers. It can be a wet papertowel in a baggy in your purse or a glue stick or chap stick that you have marked to be sure you're not using it for anything else. They even make products for it, which is what cashiers should be using if they're not. These products usually come with an antibacterial agent although probably not a disinfecting agent strong enough for coronavirus. Still better than saliva, though. https://www.amazon.com/Sortkwik-Fing...6116788&sr=8-5
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 04-05-2020, 02:51 PM

Sounds like a productive trip, Amiga. We have also limited trips to once every two weeks. I have many friends that work in the grocery industry that thank you for your thoughtfulness! You wouldn't believe some of the stories they are telling: Entire families coming to the store at once, touching everything in sight, wanting to hug them for being such a great worker, yelling at the employees for being out of items, etc. You sound like the kind of shopper they want to serve.
owl98 is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

This next week...
Old 04-05-2020, 03:08 PM

...will be bad. I believe we have everything we need for 2 weeks. DH May go to fish shop but other than that, we are set. I am self quarantining due to dentist visits. Our car is filled with gas and we have plenty of food. IĎD love to get more bleach wipes though. For now we are good. Not going anywhere than out for fresh air each day. Only DH will leave the house. Lots of yard work too. Washing all windows in the house tomorrow.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote