Help

The VENT

Big Box Home Improvement stores

>

kahluablast

Big Box Home Improvement stores
Old 04-05-2020, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know there are a lot of people visiting these stores. I haven't had to go to one yet as I have so many home improvement projects that I already purchased supplies for and just haven't had time or energy to actually do them... but I did dig my garden up and will want to plant in it in the next month or so.

I have tried starting seeds from scratch and it just never works well for me. Either I get everything I plant to grow and then I have too many of one thing (I hate killing them) or none of them grow and I wasted all that time and energy.

The weather is perfect here for doing yard work and other outdoors things. By June it is way too hot to do anything outside until nighttime, so I get why our stores seem to be packed. I hope that they decide to limit people going in rather than close them. WHile not essential for life, it is essential for many people's mental well being to be able to be outdoors working on spring projects. I know for me I would be going completely crazy if I had to just sit at home and watch tv or read. I need to do things. My dh would probaby kill someone (me) if he wasn't able to go out and ride his bike or tool on some of his garage projects. We aren't going to stores everyday - or even everyweek as we have much of the stuff we need. But if we need something for a job it is nice to be able to get it as we can (mail order).

Essential? Maybe not completely, but mental well being is also important and many people need to do things...

Have you been to Lowes or Home Depot recently? Essential? Or just to keep your sanity?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are many smaller nurseries that are open and selling plants and garden supplies. Small businesses need our support. I have one near me that has a sign that says, "Open, we are an essential agricultural business!" I don't think you should feel bad about buying plants. Be as safe as possible.

I also think donuts are as essential for some people as liquor is to others. No judgment!
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-05-2020, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My theory during this time is do what you need to do for you. Mental health is important and that looks different for everyone.

ETA: Donuts ARE essential for me.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with you, Kahlua!

Not only the mental health factor, but I figure anything I buy helps the economy...especially small businesses! So, yes. When the flowers start arriving for repotting, you can bet I'm going to be out buying them.

I am fine if they limit how many are allowed in the stores (Walmart just started that today in my little town), but I do think people should be allowed to shop for items like flowers, home improvements, etc.

I do NOT think kids need to tag along with their parents, however. I understand if you are a single parent, that might be unavoidable...
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 04-05-2020, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

DH went to Lowes a few days ago. It was a mix of essential and non-essential. We had a leaking sink that needed to be fixed. But while he was there, he did go ahead and pick up veggie and herb plants so we could put in our garden. Gardening for us is a mental health remedy, a way to save on a grocery bill, and just so essential!

I didn't go bc we don't see the point of both of us possibly being exposed or spreading the virus (since you can have it and not know it). We also have a state mandate limiting the number of shoppers at a time, so why keep someone else from being able to shop?

I don't think Lowes/Home Depot will be shut down because contractors need to keep their businesses going, and people have legitimate repairs they need to shop for.

bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Suggestion
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Support your local small business. There are many local greenhouses and florists that are doing curbside pick up or call in orders. My parents own a small one like this and they are heavily relying on their regular customers to get them through the spring. They are doing things like curbside drop off for empty containers (custom planting, just drive up and pop the trunk for them to remove the empty pots), online ordering, phone orders, etc. My dad has even been texting pictures of specific plants to customers for their approval. Your big box stores automatically write off plants as they are unloaded from the semi, but your local greenhouses usually grow their own and are wondering how they are going to make it this Spring.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Beachy123

Old 04-05-2020, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you must go though please try your best to social distance yourself from others including employees. My brother works at one of the big box home improvement stores but not in a customer contact position (stock/displays) and has said it is very frustrating that he will be bending over doing something and straighten up to someone one foot away waiting to ask a question. He is required to work and no other income to be able to stay at home. He is happy to help people but this is happening over and over. His store has at least two positive cases from employees. Please be considerate! Or just stay home unless it truly is essential.
Beachy123 is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Old 04-05-2020, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Also try your best to be considerate of others trying to distance. I stood at the end of a row waiting and waiting as a couple debated which plant to buy. I saw what I wanted and would have loved to walk over and get it but I didn't want to get near. Very very annoying.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Home Depot
Old 04-05-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had to go to Home Depot last week - chain to ceiling light broke & I couldn't see. I went about 7:30 in the morning and they had someone literally counting how many people were in the store. Since the lighting dept is right outside the garden center, I did pick up three six-packs of pansies. I'm dying to get more plants but I will probably go to a smaller nursery.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-06-2020, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I work at one of the two big box stores.

Please stay home, we donít need anymore people coming into our store. Itís a war zone as it is. 50% of our staff is out; children at home, elderly parents, and/or personal health issues yet we have record breaking days every day. Most of us are working 12 hour days to keep the store open.

People are buying non-essential items, we ran out of the essential things weeks ago. Paint, mulch, window fashions, grass seed, and plants are not essential unless of course you are fixing up your home for your wake.

If you absolutely must come, leave your family at home. Mom, dad, and the kids donít need to come browsing the store. If you coming because youíre bored, stay home. If youíre coming because the mall is closed and you need to exercise, stay home and do laps around the house.

You may not have to worry about visiting a Loweís or Home Depot. I received a text earlier today from a coworker who says the police were in and served cease and desist orders to stop selling a majority of the item people were buying.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Heard Ours are Packed
Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've heard that our Lowes was packed solid over the weekend again. Jeez, no wonder people are still getting sick. I haven't been out for weeks. I ordered seeds and I'm just reusing dirt from last year. They said it might snow here this week so I'll bring everything inside until the frost threat passes.

I think I might order live plants online. I'm just too afraid to go out and get contaminated. I literally have not been anywhere since March 13th and I'm fine. However, I know most people are the opposite. Just in my neighborhood tons of people are out roaming around constantly. I heard that Paris is banning jogging during the day.

Take care!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote