Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Mystery weight loss program

>

annie_g

Mystery weight loss program
Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 PM

I have seen a few FB friends make posts talking about how they've lost weight and have so much energy using a new program. Whenever someone asks what they are using, they always reply saying they will DM the person. My instinct says this is some kind of MLM scheme. Has anyone else noticed this or does anyone know what this is about. I don't want to ask them because I'm not interested in signing up for any programs. But I've seen it a few times so I feel that it is some kind of marketing tactic. Thanks!

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 04-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Oh, it's def an MLM thing. I see similar posts about whiter teeth, longer lashes, and less wrinkles.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 PM

It's Optavia, if it's the same program I'm seeing. I asked a similar question here last summer because curiosity was getting the best of me, but I certainly didn't want to PM and be "recruited" .

It is definitely MLM. There are "coaches." So people post progress pics and then when people ask what they're doing, they say something like "PM me!"Then they connect you with their coach, if they're not yet a coach themselves. Those that are coaches constantly post recipes and success stories from others.

A former teacher from my building lost a lot of weight doing it, became a coach, and then recruited a teacher who still teaches in my building. Now about a year later, that teacher has become a "coach" and is now commenting on everyone's social media, sending PMs/DMs, etc. as one of the "coaching strategies" is to engage people on social media. One of the funniest parts was that although I have a FB and use it to look at things, I haven't posted in a good 3-4 years now. This teacher went back to a photo from 4 years ago and commented on it .

It's VERY expensive- hundreds of dollars per month. Of course you get discounts once you become a "coach." I will say both teachers have lost significant amounts of weight. From what I've read it's just a very low calorie diet, but you have the "accountability" with your "coach." I could see that working for some people.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-05-2020, 06:19 PM

Thank you, Haley23, I bet that's it. Most people would just say what they are doing, so I figured it was a way to get people interested in the program. Not taking the bait!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 04-05-2020, 07:54 PM

I was going to say Optavia too. Though it seems like most of the people I know on it aren't so secretive anymore. I remember back when I was working people not even being willing to say the name in the faculty lounge when they were clearly on some sort of program.

It is a low carb, no sugar plan where you buy/eat packaged food called "fuelings." People who I've known who've done it, love it. Some embrace it almost like a religion. Quite a few of them have sustained their loss, especially those who didn't have much to lose and added exercise. However, I've known just as many who gained it right back.

I roll my eyes, but sometimes use their recipes.

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote