What will this do to upcoming contracts? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What will this do to upcoming contracts?

>

adia123

What will this do to upcoming contracts?
Old 04-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Hubby and I are both teachers. My husband's contract is up to be renewed this summer. My district is up next year. I think we had a strong leg to stand on to get raises before the virus hit due to the teacher shortage. How does everyone think this will affect any upcoming teacher contracts?

adia123 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-06-2020, 10:35 AM

My guess is that with current state of our state and city finances (abysmal here) raises are going to be few and far between.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM

My union signed an MOU for raises to pay just before everything fell apart in my state. We still need to vote on the contract changes. We may be lucky.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 AM

The governor of California has already warned us to expect severe budget cuts when we get through this crisis. I believe he said that the current budget will be out the window.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM

I think both private and public sectors will see major changes next year. Budgets have already been stretched beyond breaking. That $1200 stimulus payment didn't grow on trees. Deficit spending means that at some point something will have to be taxed. The government needs money.

It will be interesting to see if the pandemic is legally considered an act of God and what that might do to the status of all contracts, not just those of teachers.

Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That $1200 stimulus payment didn't grow on trees. Deficit spending means that at some point something will have to be taxed.
Tax the billionaires. They can afford it, the teachers can't.

I know we won't get raises. I'm frankly more worried about layoffs.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-06-2020, 11:46 AM

Worried about layoffs too.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-06-2020, 11:59 AM

My friend and I were talking about this. I think if teachers/bargaining teams are smart theyíll roll their current contracts. I know the IL governor said he was going to have to redo his budget and Iím guessing itís the same for the other states. If governors donít know their budgets, then districts donít.

Roll the contracts until things settle down, budgets are settled and everyone knows whatís happening. Better to take a pay freeze (essentially) for a year than negotiate now and get hosed for 2-3 years.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-06-2020, 12:14 PM

I donít know. A friend teaches in another district. They had to give in on health insurance and lengthen the school day by ten minutes. They settled last week. The union was afraid if they didnít agree it would get worse. If this work stoppage lasts long it could get worse.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

adia123

Wonderful insight
Old 04-06-2020, 12:31 PM

Yes,
I was thinking about the pay freeze but layoffs would be horrible. While we are both tenured he is a reading resource teacher which is a non tested subject. Maybe they will see the value of keeping him on since the kids will come back to school even further behind. Does suck though we were well on our way to a decent contract and now this. Of course it wont help that before our superintendent came along there was a surplus of funds and after 3 years of him coming to my district there is a DEFICIT. He has spent money like water.

adia123 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I believe he said that the current budget will be out the window.
I had only recently begun breathing as I found my position was funded for next year, but now I have to worry all over again. If, and I believe it will happen, we have to make cuts, I might be in jeopardy again.

Oh well, I will just move forward and try to make myself as helpful as I can right now. I would have anyway.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 04-06-2020, 02:13 PM

We just got a 2 year contract this week. 2.5% this year and next. No change in insurance. 2 $500 signing bonuses. And a $500 increase in our Masters plus 30 column.

We wanted to add a step between 20 and 29 years but no go.

We are extremely blessed with a new Superintendent. We took a strike vote the last 3 times our contract was up with our old one. His goal, stated, was to see what the minimum he could get away with was. It was bad. The new one came ready to show appreciation and offer healing.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-06-2020, 02:36 PM

I am extremely worried about this. I am in a state where education funding was abysmal to begin with. We are literally still suffering from some things that were enacted due to the 2008 recession. In fact, the first week of the closure there was a planned state wide rally/shut down at the capitol for the beginning of the legislative session; our message being that our state economy is booming and it's ridiculous these budget factors from 2008 are still in place to withhold money from education. Of course the rally was cancelled and said "booming economy" is no more.

Today, my P was saying she's working with a grant we have that's for before/after school clubs and tutoring to see if there is any way teachers can do something like online tutoring so we can earn extra money. She wants to give us the chance to do that as she is worried about the future. She's heard from "a friend at the state" that furlough days will likely be happening.

Our union actually negotiated a 2 year contract last year- something they've never done. I was set to get the biggest raise I've ever gotten for next year, as they had negotiated for us to get back "lost steps" from the previous recession- I was going to get 3 at once. At the time, the union president said there was a "fail safe" mechanism where the district would not have to provide the raises if they lost x amount of money. She said, "don't worry, that would NEVER happen, it's a ridiculous amount of money." I'm betting it has/will happen now. I assume we can also expect insurance costs to go way up as well as retirement costs.

As far as contracts, I'm not sure what they can do for next year as the deadline for non-renewal has passed in my district. P did say she thought the "big changes" would be coming in two years as most things were finalized for next year. I honestly don't know what we're going to do. Schools in my state were already screwed BEFORE this all happened. We are losing two amazing teachers next year because they simply can't afford to keep teaching in our state, and frankly I don't know how any of our new teachers are doing it with COL (it was not as bad when I started). I don't see how we come back from this, honestly.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote