Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

School this Fall

>

EnglishRose

School this Fall
Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 PM

We know there won't be a vaccine by this fall. The curve will eventually flatten this summer because we're quarantined. So do you think we can plan on continuing distant learning as the new school year begins?

EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 04-06-2020, 07:35 PM

I hope not. I don't want to start my year this way.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-06-2020, 07:40 PM

I cannot even fathom trying to start kindergarten with distance learning. At all.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 04-06-2020, 07:41 PM

I'd be surprised if you go back to a physical building in the fall.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-06-2020, 07:42 PM

I think there is a possibility we can start as normal, but may have to quarantine sometime again in the winter. I really hope this doesn't ruin the Christmas season. I of course hope we never have to do this again!

I haven't seen any projections at all that we will still need to be "flattening the curve" in August, so I have a hard time believing we will still be doing distance learning then. Of course, 2 weeks ago I had a hard time believing we weren't going back to school this year, so who knows.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
NonOkieDokie

NonOkieDokie

Covid Babies
Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 PM

All I think about is the factor that many young teachers might be having COVID babies, which will complicate learning mid-year, if subs are needed.

GraceKrispy

Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 PM

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen. This coronavirus gets compared to the Spanish Flu a lot, and there are certainly similarities in how it spread and how people reacted. It started in March, was heavy in April/May, and looked a lot better in the summer. But it came back with a vengeance in the fall, in a mutated form that was far more deadly. I really hope that is not what we are headed towards with COVID-19. I hope we move cautiously, but I don't know what it will look like.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 04-06-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I cannot even fathom trying to start kindergarten with distance learning. At all.

I agree! I don't know how that would work.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 PM

My husband and I agree with Chalkdusty. He says another 6 months. Sad. I’m already going nuts. Endless dog walks to remain sane.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 04-06-2020, 09:08 PM

I think we’re looking at “distance learning” until a vaccine is available to all. Government officials seem to be resistant to any level of risk, so that means waiting it out indefinitely.

Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-07-2020, 04:29 AM

I'm genuinely thinking/hoping that things will go down over the coarse of the spring/summer. I'm hopeful that we can start school again as normal. (I realize this may be genuinely what I think but also tinged with a hope both that the school year will start as normal both for myself and DD's senior year and that I'm also hopeful for a dose of a much-needed return to somewhat normal for a while). I am anticipating the possibility that there might be a return of the virus in the winter/spring of next year. I can see my district trying to get everyone in the district on the same platform.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-07-2020, 04:33 AM

I sincerely hope not. I also think after May states are going to have an even harder time convincing people they need to stay in their homes. At some point the economic impact is going to cause many people and governments to make some really hard choices.

I teach elementary.
The only reason distance learning is even remotely working for me (and it really isn’t working), is because I know my kids already and have built a rapport with their families. I could not imagine doing this with students/families I haven’t ever met. I also know where all my kids are academically and what they each need/are facing at home...

Quarantining for 6/12/18 months until a vaccine is widely available just seems completely insane to me... but I’m not a doctor or scientist.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-07-2020, 05:51 AM

With the predictions of their being another start up of the virus, everything going back to normal worries me. I think that's what's going to happen
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Wrong
Old 04-07-2020, 07:57 AM

I hope the predictions of it continuing and/or coming back in the fall are wrong. Unfortunately, it seems as though they probably aren’t. I am already upset by all the experiences Gabriel is missing, social wise, he is just at the age where he realizes what is going on, the fact that I probably won’t attend High School graduation for my former students ( I had 6 of them in 2nd and 4th and that group of kids were just different as a group), etc..

Please make it so after May 3 (the latest everything is shut down until as of now) there is enough herd immunity to protect everyone through the winter/until a vaccine is available.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 AM

I read an article that said S. Korea has opened its schools back up. And that DOD schools (our schools for kids of US Military or government workers) will open April 13th.

Quote:
Officials stressed the need to maintain caution as the coronavirus risk remains high but expressed confidence in protective measures that have been established for the reopening.

Those include deploying soldiers to take temperatures and screen students for signs of the virus prior to boarding school buses or entering buildings.

Other guidelines include placing hand sanitizer stations in classrooms, disinfecting classrooms, hallways and locker exteriors, and developing a protocol for handling those who display coronavirus symptoms.

Soldiers already have rehearsed the new procedures and have undergone background checks since they will be around children, garrison commander Col. Michael Tremblay said.

Day care facilities will likely open beforehand in preparation for the school reopening, Tremblay said but added that no date has been set.
I could see possibilities that next fall schools would be up and running...

So the bus driver might be using an infrared thermometer to check temperatures before getting on buses and teachers on duty checking temperatures before walkers and car riders enter buildings.

Maybe all would be required to wear a mask.

Maybe students that are high risk or their parent works from home would join virtually.

(Just my two cents)
https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific...risis-1.623119

Last edited by aggie'swife; 04-07-2020 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: adding link to article
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote