So much sitting and staring at a computer!!..... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So much sitting and staring at a computer!!.....

>

twinmom95

So much sitting and staring at a computer!!.....
Old 04-07-2020, 02:04 PM

First off I'm very glad to still have a job and a paycheck. I am also glad my kids are grown and gone and I'm not trying to teach them during the day, too.

However, like many of you, we are doing emergency remote learning and using Google Classroom ( new to staff and kids). I was not cut out to sit all day long and be on a computer. I don't know how people who do this for their jobs all the time can stand it, haha

I have three different places I sit to work, plus I will sometimes work at the kitchen counter. However my backside is really getting uncomfortable :-( I also walk for an hour every day at about 3:30. That is still not enough movement. At school I am used to being on my feet most of the day. Elementary School.

Our weather is anything from high 30s to high 50s and rainy or damp or sunny. Getting out every day isn't always possible either. I bought myself a stationary 3 position exercise bike at Christmas, but that's more sitting!

Right now we are out until May 4th, but I'm pretty sure we'll be out through the rest of the year, which for us is the third week in June. My butt might not make it!!

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-07-2020, 03:07 PM

My fitbit certainly doesn't like this work from home stuff! On a typical school day I get 6-7K steps just at school. Last week when we started online learning I realized late in the evening I had less than 1,000 steps . I've been getting as much walking in during the evenings as I can but I need to find a better balance with getting more steps during the day as well. I get "in the zone" with whatever school thing I'm working in and don't want to take breaks- I'd rather just get it all done. But that's no good for my steps!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-07-2020, 03:15 PM

I give you permission to go out every hour, or at the least every couple of hours and take 20-30 minutes to yourself. Work around the house, walk around the house. Nothing is going to happen that 20 minutes is going to make a huge difference.

There is really no reason for any of us to be glued to the computers. GC is great because you can do it at any time. If someone thinks you took too long, too bad.

Mental (and buttal) health is important.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-07-2020, 03:25 PM

DD has a standing desk at work. They alternate sitting and standing.
https://www.upliftdesk.com/
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

Welcome to the world of online teaching :)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:27 PM

I have been doing this for almost 8 years and I can totally relate to how you're feeling along with everyone else that got thrown into this.

The best thing you can do is take time for yourself and breaks throughout the day. Of course, I should be taking my own advice as I'm constantly stuck to my computer even though it's not a requirement.

My class is at 11:00am and then I'm pretty much done the rest of the day unless I have meetings to attend and office hours at 3:00pm. Our school day is we're required to be available from 8-5 even though most of the classes are over at 1 or so.

I have been doing more of a flexible schedule since my husband is home from work as well since he works in a factory.

Today was such a beautiful day outside with a high in the mid 70s I wish we would have went for a walk together or even just sat outside on our deck. I have a personal day scheduled for next Wednesday was supposed to be going on a girls day trip to the Vera Bradley annual sale but since that's cancelled for this year I thought about cancelling my personal day.

The more I thought about it I'm like nope I'm still going to take that day off as a nice midweek break and use that time to work on some graduate classes and relax with my husband.

Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 04-07-2020, 06:07 PM

Iíve always hated yoga, but I can see Iíve been. Lot tighter and uncomfortable from sitting so much more than usual. So Iíve been trying to do yoga everyday for 30 min, in addition to any walks/workouts.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-07-2020, 09:33 PM

I completely agree! I hate all of this computer time. The days when I have multiple meetings are brutal. I was not cut out for a desk job!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-08-2020, 06:40 AM

Yep, welcome to ANY kind of computer work that people (including myself) do all day. I want to order a better office chair. It's pricey, but worth it, so I can't wait till I can get it!

I have an under-the-desk- foot peddler for exercise, but of course, I get up as much as I can too to stretch.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 04-08-2020, 09:30 AM

Thanks to the poster who suggested yoga. DD25 does it and I asked her to suggest some stretches or send me a couple links to work on my lower back backside and legs. I tried it today around 11 a.m. and it helped :-)

I have been getting a monthly massage for several years now and haven't had one since mid-February and now the place is shut down for the duration. I could really use one now haha!
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote