Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How much kid stuff did you keep?

>

2teach2

How much kid stuff did you keep?
Old 04-07-2020, 02:05 PM

Like many of you, I've been cleaning closets, cabinets, drawers, etc. When my kids were little I was pretty sentimental and kept a lot of stuff. Now I'm busy tossing most of that! I did get a bit teary when throwing some of it out. But I guess I don't need:
-DD's 4th grade mission project
-DS's Harry Houdini trifold biography
-various report cards and state testing results
-more than just a couple of their baby outfits

I should mention DD is 22 and DS is 18 (he is away at Navy Boot Camp right now, hence the tears!)

How much have you kept from your kids' childhoods?

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 04-07-2020, 02:08 PM

We have one big bin for each of our twins. We call them their keep box. They're in my attic. They are 25 and live on their own. We did have fun weeding through it last year and they are probably half-full now:-)
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-07-2020, 02:16 PM

No kids but my mom kept probably 3 bins of clothing and baby blankets. I am in the process of having the majority of them made into a quilt. Iíll save a few items for maybe future children.

She didnít keep any paper projects. I have report cards in a scrapbook.

I also have one or two bins of sentimental things that arenít clothing... playbills from broadway plays, stuffed animals, barbies, etc. and a bin of special books.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Was doing the same thing
Old 04-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Have been doing the same thing. I have a small pile for both girls (ages 26 and 28). I am only keeping 1 painting each. I am all but certain they will throw everything out.

DD1 LOVES horses and still has some models. I have kept them, but they are on borrowed time. Actually DH and I are planning on downsizing within 3 years and the girls have talked about renting a storage unit together until they are in a position to take their "stuff".

I am also getting rid of all baby stuff- with the exception of the things my grandmother knitted. My kids have categorically said there are no children in their futures, but I think that my nieces and nephews would treasure these things if they have children.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Pictures
Old 04-07-2020, 02:25 PM

I have read that taking pictures of items are a good way to remember them.

tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Keep
Old 04-07-2020, 03:01 PM

Iíve kept enough from my DS to make me happy. I have three large binders with various work, pictures, and certificates. My DS is a talented writer so I kept a lot of his writing pieces.

Iíve also kept favorite toys. I pull them out for his daughters to play with. Each time I do, he gets so happy seeing old friends are still here.

My heart feels full.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Pictures
Old 04-07-2020, 03:06 PM

Many years ago I saw a clever idea. You can take lots of pictures, use them to make large rectangular collages then use them to line drawers.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM

I kept their things as long as I had space. When I retired and downsized, I told my adult children to come and get what they wanted and to donate/dispose of the rest. What they wanted surprised me (who knew DD would treasure her 1st Christmas dress that I sewed?). And it was easier on my heart for them to get rid of what they didnít want.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-07-2020, 03:38 PM

I think there comes a time when you have to turn over those keepsakes to your own children when they become adults, and let them decide what they would like to keep.

Until one is ready to do that, enjoy!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 04-07-2020, 05:07 PM

My kiddos are still very little, but I have been trying to set up a system to keep special stuff, but not every single thing, and keep it all organized.

Each kid has a box for their first year - with cards, hospital bracelet, other mementos.

Each one has a file bin for papers. I am still setting these up, but they will have a folder for each year (by age and then by grade.) I'll collect artwork, work samples, report cards, ticket stubs, whatever, throughout the year and pick a selection to put in the folder.

Each kid has one bin for clothes I can't bear to give away. I try to go through them semi regularly as I am finding more and more that I don't need to keep!

I will probably keep some special toys but we haven't gotten to the point of getting rid of any yet!

As long as I have space, I'll keep it until they want it.

Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-07-2020, 09:31 PM

I have everyone's going home outfit. A special blanket or toy. Everyone has a school book where they record something every year and put in a few pictures. And I have some art up in the house and garage that someday I'll take down. The only other thing I have is all of their ceramics projects from elementary school (3 each year, 3 kids times 7 years, it's a lot). They make me happy so I'll probably keep them around for a long time!

As I clean out the garage in the coming weeks I'm going to make one plastic bin for each kid and that will be it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

keeping
Old 04-08-2020, 01:30 AM

I have large clear plastic tubs for each (daughter and son) and one for granddaughter too. These hold special outfits, toy, handcrafted blankets, etc. I also have separate tubs for photo albums/scrapbooks with special papers.

For granddaughter, we weed out the previous years "stuff" as we add to it. We try to keep a sampling of her artwork, school work, cards from each year.

I do like the idea of taking photos of things!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote