Help

The VENT

More family coronavirus drama

>

aly7123

More family coronavirus drama
Old 04-07-2020, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So you may remember my post from about 2 1/2 weeks ago about how my 2 year old nephew was the first confirmed case in our county and how my sister-in-law was dragging him all over while he was sick which resulted in pretty much my husband's whole family being quarantined (thankfully not me or my husband because I knew better than to go around an obviously sick kid during this pandemic).

Well today was everyone's first day free from quarantine. My SIL had to go to work as a receptionist at a doctor's office and dropped my nephew off at my MIL's house. Fair enough...someone has to watch the 2 year old. But when it was time to pick up my nephew, did my SIL get him and go home? No...she stayed at my MIL's house and ate dinner there. And she will probably be there until around midnight because that was her habit before all this. We are in a state with a stay at home order and we are not supposed to be out unless we are going to work, going to get food, going to the doctor...stuff like that. Visiting mommy because the umbilical cord was never cut is not an acceptable activity right now.

Then I find out my SIL intends on spending Easter Sunday at my MIL's house too! Once again, not an acceptable activity for this stay at home order. She said she doesn't want to be alone - well too bad because this is a health emergency! And my MIL is just as bad because she won't tell her to go home. And then I also found out my FIL went to his sister's house today to hang out and drink beer. What is with this family??? These are not normal times and you can't just do everything you normally would.

Oh, I also found out that while they were under quarantime, my MIL and SIL snuck out together to get coffee at Dunkin. I wanted to call the Department of Health but my husband wouldn't let me. My husband has tried talking to them and reasoning with them but his sister just screeches that she needs her mom to watch the baby and won't let anyone get a word in and his mom just keeps saying she's sick of coronavirus and doesn't want to hear about it anymore. I may have been a little petty today because while he was on the phone with his mother, I casually mentioned that I haven't seen my mother in over a month because I care about her health - but I don't care if it hurt her feelings because what they're doing is stupid!

I know I can't make anyone change their behavior but it makes me so mad that they are part of the problem that will keep dragging this out. I saw a new word on Facebook today - covidiot - which is defined as either a person who won't follow social distancing or a person who hoards everything. Well, they may not be hoarders but they are definitely covidiots in the sense that they won't stay away from each other.

aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Selfish...
Old 04-07-2020, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I live in an area of the country where we have a lot of cases. My state is second in total cases, and my county is number one in the state. People are dying by the thousands. By breaking quarantine, your relatives exposed others unknowingly. Very selfish and frankly, stupid.

This illness is real. They need to turn on the news and realize that while they have been fortunate so far and your nephew recovered, they might not be so lucky the next time. The virus does not discriminate.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-07-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, like I tell my students, they’re free to make their choices, they’re not free from the consequences.

At this point, it’s not your circus and not your monkeys because they’re clearly not going to listen.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-07-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sorry you have to watch that happen. That would be so infuriating.

I feel like some people think it's "stranger danger" that we're avoiding or that when you see reports about people living together being able to be outside together, they somehow make the leap that "families can be together."
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 04-07-2020, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My in-laws (70s) go out almost daily. Every time DH talks to them, he reminds them that they need to stay home. They are trying to be better about it, but they're not nearly as careful as they should be. We've told them that DD20 hasn't left the house since her classes got canceled. They know that DH and I are living on separate sides of the house to keep from being infected (he's a pharmacist and has to go to work), but even that doesn't make them see how serious the situation is. I'm irritated because if they were to get sick and pass away, I know DH would feel like he had to be there for the other parent and would then be putting himself at risk due to their selfishness.

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

I’m so sorry
Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am very sorry that you are dealing with this.

The thing is, we live in a free society. On top of which everyone is accustomed to living in a free society. That means that the citizens are not going to respond with robotic obedience to directives from the government. Even when they should. Even when it’s a matter of life and death. Many people just are not going to follow the rules. No matter what you or I do or say, no matter how much everyone tries to reason them, some people just are not going to follow along. It is extremely frustrating. But, it’s the price we pay for living in a free society. The government *knows* that there will not be full compliance. Believe me, at the city, county, state, and federal levels of government the powers that be are very well aware that the citizens are stubborn.

You, OP, need to find a way to let this go because it will drive you up the wall if you continue to dwell on the actions of your SIL, your MIL, et al. I recommend that you try to concentrate on the things *you* have control over: how *you* follow the CDC guidelines, how *you* follow the directives of your city and state, *your* own social distancing, *your* positive attitude moving forward.

At the end of the day, you cannot control other people. You just can’t. You have to accept that or you’ll lose it.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote