Help

The VENT

Google Meets...

>

Janylynne

Google Meets...
Old 04-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my district we are being encouraged to use Google Meets to connect with students. I use Google Classroom, so do post assignments and photos and comments regularly.

Iím not tech savvy, and though I could do it, I donít really want to, just for the last few weeks of a school year.

I have no desire to have my face on a screen. Probably no one would tape it and no adult would be watching at home, but who knows? I donít have any crazy parents right now, but in past years I did.

I did record a video message to students, with directions and an example. I didnít like seeing my face on screen. I plan on deleting it after the assignment is done. I tried another video of me going over a chapter. So far, I havenít been able to upload it for whatever reason. Itís frustrating.

Is there anyone else who really, really doesnít want to do face to face screen time?

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

You do get used to it!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been doing videos for 4 weeks now. At first it was super weird and uncomfortable, and then it was fine. The kids don't care; they're just super happy to see us and hang out with their buddies.

Just do the first two or three, and you'll be used it in no time at all!

If you need help setting it up, let me know.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the encouragement! Part of my issue is my unhappiness with school closing down. I enjoyed my classes. I donít think it is fair to expect too much from students right now.

I dislike staring at a computer screen all day. I didnít sign up to be an online teacher. Iím feeling stubborn about this. Maybe I need to change my attitude.

teenytiny

Old 04-08-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Janylynne, I don't enjoy it, either. I feel very disconnected through a screen, and many of my students don't talk much, even when prompted.

I feel the same way as you- I didn't sign up to be an online teacher, and I'm having a rough time adapting. I understand this situation is not the school districts fault, so of course I am doing my best. But, I understand your vent.

Are you seeing other teachers in your district tooting their own horn to administrators about how much they love doing video teaching, and how they are connecting with their kids every day for hours, etc? I see it a lot in my district. It makes things even tougher, because right when I feel like I've got a handle on things and am doing a decent job, some other teacher comes around bragging on how much more they are doing than I am.

It's really discouraging.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-08-2020, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Though my love of Google knows no bounds, I do have some concerns. Kids can continue with the Meet once you've disconnected. Zoom has its own issues. Personally, I don't want to deal with any of the liabilities that come with using any of those platforms because you know if something happens the district will hang you out to dry. I'm good with post assignments and messaging.

When you plan reactively instead of proactively, as we are all doing, something is bound to happen. I'd prefer that something NOT be a video issue that I could be liable for.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-08-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am posting instructional videos for students to watch and follow along with. It was awkward at first, but I have to do a minimum of 4 videos per day (due to the grade levels/subjects I cover) and that has gotten me used to it pretty quickly! I also use the filter on zoom (the "touch up my face" feature) that makes me feel a whole lot better about having my face on the screen! I also honestly appreciate still having a reason to do things like wash/blow dry my hair, look reasonably presentable, etc. Having no reason to ever "get ready" for the day for weeks on end (more like months at this point) would take a toll on my mental health. I teach K-2 sped; my students can't read. I saw no other way to provide any sort of instruction.

My sped director is wanting us to do "live" small groups via zoom, but so far this has only been "encouraged" and not required. I have NO desire to do that at all. I think it would be way too hard to manage and we wouldn't get anything done. It also seems inequitable as my families are completing the activities at all hours of the day- most in the evening. I don't feel it's fair to say the reading group is at 10 AM, and if you can't log on then, you missed it (we're not allowed to record "live" sessions with kids). I think the way I have my videos set up, if the kid actually watches and participates it's a closer experience to "real" intervention class than anything else I can think of.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Google Meets
Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We've been told to hold Google Meets 2-3 times a week, so kids can connect, we can keep in touch, and for kids to ask questions. No teaching in the google meets, just more community building.

I HATE it. It's awkward for me. It's different than facilitating conversations in the classroom. I never know what to say. I hate it!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-08-2020, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

GreyhoundGirl- did you see that if you set up meets with a nickname, kids can only use it when you have it opened? They just have to go to meets (use the waffle) and join with your nickname. Then they can't be in it when you are not. Easy, peasy!

I hate hearing my voice- that coupled with seeing my face. Bluck!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Aware
Old 04-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We've been told Google is aware of the issue of people being able to get it at any time and they are working to fix it. Supposedly, by the time we come back after spring break, it will be set up so that only the host can start the meeting. No one can be present without the host there.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our district is working with Google to fix Meet issues because there have been problems. Many of my fellow teachers live tech and have been on all the time with students☹️ I feel pressured.

I guess Iíll have to try but Iím feeling fussy about it. Iím great in the classroom not so great on screen.

TeenyTiny I feel the same way!

I might try to experiment reading a story and video taping it. Or doing screen recordings with the story on slides or something.

I do think this year is just a bust. I get trying to salvage it and keeping everyone accountable. But I donít think itís fair to expect much of students- just do enrichment activities. Also many teachers are homeschooling their our kids now too. They can only do so much.