Teachers' Lounge

Covid/Other Illness Hospital Question

>

eliza4one

Covid/Other Illness Hospital Question
Old 04-08-2020, 05:15 PM

So this crossed my mind today...

Curious as to how it all works...

If you are admitted to the hospital for something other than Covid, are you kept in a separate wing, away from those who have been diagnosed? Are you assigned only doctors/nurses who DON'T/never (granted there's always that risk) come into contact with Covid patients?

I have a friend who is worried sick because she has to have a procedure done at the end of April. She is also pregnant, which adds to her worry.

I think that is why this is on my mind.

eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

linderdm

Old 04-08-2020, 05:18 PM

In our area, certain hospitals are designated for COVID cases.
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Separation of covid
Old 04-08-2020, 05:27 PM

I think much of it has to do with how urban your hospital is. Our rural hospital has only 25 beds, with a small number of doctors available.

I am confident hospitals are doing everything in their power to prevent the spread to non-covid patients.

My niece just delivered a baby girl April 2. The midwest hospital she and her husband went to had a wing dedicated to OB patients. The doctors and nurses were assigned to only that wing. She was allowed ONE person to be with her - that was her husband. He stayed on the premises - in her room or the delivery room- during her entire stay.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 04-08-2020, 05:33 PM

My friend is a nurse that just works one overnight shift a week. I know at her hospital there is a Covid wing/floor, for people that are suspected or confirmed as having it. If people on the floor have tests that end up being negative they are moved to another floor.

Iím not sure about her procedure but I feel like day surgery type things wouldnít be near a covid wing. Definitely recommend discussing it with her doctor as they can advise and reassure her.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-08-2020, 05:47 PM

I have heard a lot of mention of "covid floors" on the news. I'm sure the hospital workers do everything they can, but the lack of PPE is probably a concern for the other patients here as well. I'm not sure if they have enough now to be changing out masks, gowns, etc. as much as they would like.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-08-2020, 06:00 PM

In our area they have set up additional hospital sites/segregated populations to keep COVID patents away from others.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

Old 04-08-2020, 06:46 PM

My husband is a nurse. At his hospital, they are keeping covid patients in a separate unit. He hasnít had to work with any covid patients. Although, he says he might eventually. I hope not since we have a 3 month old at home. He did have a scare a week ago when the patient he had cared for died sometime on day shift. Later on that day, a coworker of his texted him and said they were testing him for covid. Thank goodness the patient did not.

Iím not sure what other hospitals are doing but I asked my husband about the nurses working with covid patients. He said that they arenít solely working with covid patients. Just last week he had a coworker of his pulled to the covid unit and they have since worked in his unit too. That just seems really stupid and reckless to me. But he has said since day one that he felt like his hospital wasnít taking it seriously.

He has just recently started wearing a mask at work. They got some donated from people in the community.
MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. This is a metro area, so lots of hospitals. She's going to the one nearest to her residence. She has talked to her Dr., but that doesn't ease her worries. I had this particular question, she didn't. I was just wondering.

Haley~Do you know if there are covid designated hospitals in our metro area? I'll be honest. I no longer watch the news, lol. (Too busy planning for and doing remote teaching, OMG!).

MAsped

Old 04-08-2020, 07:58 PM

I just came into this thread to read what others said, but I assume the other patients are not only in their own wing or better yet, FLOOR(S), but that also all the medical staff/nurses are kept separate too.

I sure hope human error doesn't get anyone or more all mixed up and puts them in the wrong place (especially if the patient can't talk at the time to tell them)!

I pray to God that doesn't happen anywhere!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-08-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Do you know if there are covid designated hospitals in our metro area? I'll be honest. I no longer watch the news, lol. (Too busy planning for and doing remote teaching, OMG!)
Not entire existing hospitals, but they are putting up emergency hospitals. For example, the Colorado Convention Center is being converted into a 2,000 bed COVID-19 hospital. My understanding is that this would be for "overflow" and not the only place people with the virus go. That's a pretty scary thought.

I am watching the news right now (I can't stay away). They did just report cases going down for several days in a row now, so hopefully that trend continues. The challenge seems to be how do you open anything back up without the cases just skyrocketing again.

eliza4one

Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. Glad I can rely on you to keep me informed.

Quote:
They did just report cases going down for several days in a row now, so hopefully that trend continues. The challenge seems to be how do you open anything back up without the cases just skyrocketing again.
YAY!!! And agree with the last sentence of your post.

I do like to think the wearing of masks is helping...so if we slowly start to open things up again, I think Polis needs to make it mandatory that any/all employees of businesses wear masks...but again...I don't watch the news, so not sure if the masks really do help...I know I've been wearing one, but I've only been out once in like 2 weeks...

Haley23

Old 04-08-2020, 08:18 PM

No problem . Apparently the masks reduce transmission by about 10%. So they are helpful, but not a game changer. Polis keeps saying they will "slowly" open things up; for example possibly opening restaurants but saying they can only be half full. I'm not sure what that looks like in practice or how much it really helps. He seems pretty set on at least some things opening by that April 30th date; in the town hall last night he said based on current projections they're actually hoping it's the 26th, but they'll of course need to wait for the most updated data. I'm definitely very interested in how it all plays out. They also said the state budget is projected to lose 7 billion over the next four years, and that's IF the economy opens back up on April 30th. If not of course it's much more.