Do I need to wear a mask walking outside? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do I need to wear a mask walking outside?

>

Haley23

Do I need to wear a mask walking outside?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:29 PM

We are being "encouraged" to wear masks in my state. I don't have one but will figure something out next time I go to the store. A scarf might be the best I can do- I don't have any bandannas or anything. I tried one of those winter headband things and it was too thick- I couldn't breathe. I think anything is going to be really uncomfortable for me but I will do it for the store, which is the only place I've been going for the past month.

Anyway, after saying I need to start walking outside for several days I finally did it today. I am in a very quiet neighborhood with tons of space and big sidewalks. I didn't come within 50 feet of anyone else. If someone were coming my direction, it would be very easy to just cross to the other side of the street or change directions. I did see a couple of people come out in masks just to get their mail, and that made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

My understanding was that the masks don't protect you- they protect other people from "droplets" should you be an asymptomatic carrier. Even if I were a carrier, I'm nowhere near close enough to sneeze or cough on anyone. What do you think?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 PM

I don't because I rarely see anyone and if I do, I can easily avoid them. I walk at the crack of dawn with my dog. She doesn't like other dogs so I'm quite used to being on the lookout for and avoiding people with dogs. Now I just extend that to everyone. The mask is for when you are around other people. I guess you could have one with you, but I'd just avoid other people.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-08-2020, 08:34 PM

I walk every day for 3-5 miles, and I don't wear a mask for it. I usually walk with one of my kids and our dog. We do run across people (especially when it's nice), but we kept a very wide berth. I haven't been in a store for a while, but when dh does he wears a mask. He doesn't wear a mask for his daily walk/run.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Masks
Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 PM

We donít wear a mask when we are out for a run or bike ride, but we also donít come across anyone that closely. We have 3 neighbors that all have been quarantined as well and we just sit on our porches and yell at each other. Lol
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-08-2020, 08:48 PM

I have the same understanding as you, Haley, that we wear masks to protect others. I also understand that we are to wear masks in situations we might not be able to social distance.

I did wear a mask in both Ralph’s and Trader Joe’s, but both were set up beautifully allowing limited numbers of shoppers at a time and both had clearly marked spaced checkout procedures, so the only person I got near was the checker.

I do not wear a mask for walking outside where the closest I get to someone is 15 feet. We’re all very careful here.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 PM

Probably not, especially if you walk in a space that doesn't have a good amount of people. But you may want to keep some kind of scarf around you in case you need to cover your nose & mouth quickly. If you find that you walk in an area/path/park, etc. in which you're passing by people often, I'd find a new place to walk with fewer people.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 04-08-2020, 09:23 PM

Today was the first time I've seen people on my walk. We walked earlier today.
Twice people's dogs ran out into the street and had to be retrieved from basically on top of us. I'm pretty irritated because weve been so careful. We'll go back to a later time, but i sure hope we don't have to stop walking! I guess we could take masks along to put on quicky if needed, but even with masks I dont want to be that close!
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 PM

I also thought one of the big reasons to wear masks is to prevent ourselves from. touching our faces when we are in public touching other things. I keep having to remind my kids NOT to touch the crosswalk buttons with their hands. Especially my son who is ALWAYS touching his face and eyes
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Masks
Old 04-09-2020, 03:26 AM

I wear a mask when I'm grocery shopping but not outside on my walks.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MeMimi

Old 04-09-2020, 04:39 AM

I see people wearing masks... when they are driving in their car, by themselves.

MeMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-09-2020, 04:58 AM

I have a dog, and no backyard, so I am taking her out multiple times a day. I do not wear a mask when I take her out. There are lots of other people out but none of them come close to us at all.

I also walk/run daily and don’t wear a mask. Honestly, there’s no way I could breathe properly if I had a mask on.

Everything I have read/seen says you have to be in sustained contact with somebody, 15+ minutes, to contract the virus. So, somebody running out in front of you or passing you on a sidewalk is extremely unlikely to pass anything on to you. Could it happen? There’s always a possibility... but I think it’s extremely slim.

I have been using curbside pickup or delivery for groceries so have not had to go inside of any stores. However, if I did I would definitely wear one of my masks.

This is important though, from WHO:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 04-09-2020 at 05:17 AM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I would think
Old 04-09-2020, 05:30 AM

it would depend on where you are walking and where you live and maybe the weather conditions. In windy conditions they do not seem to know how far the virus can move through the air.

There is a big difference between walking along a big city street and walking in a rural area. I would be more aware of not to touching things as I walked. For instance I would not push the button to change the traffic light to cross a street in a city, I would not pick up anything along a path if I was in the country.

If you do wear a mask to the store, it is advised to also wear glasses, sunglasses or something to protect your eyes. There is some evidence that the virus can enter the body though the eyes.

I think some people wear masks as a way to calm their anxiety about going out during this crisis.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-09-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
see people wearing masks... when they are driving in their car, by themselves
Those are probably people on their way to a store and they donít want to mess with putting it on when they get there.

I donít wear one for walks because Iím in a small town and itís easy to keep a distance between people.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-09-2020, 08:20 AM

Did you read my post the other day where out in teh middle of the woods a woman ran off the trail (good thing it is flatish there) and rammed her mask on? I really had to stop myself from laughing...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Virus spread model
Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 AM

Check out this 3-D model video from scientists in Finland. Very scary!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...e-researchers/

I wear a mask when I leave my apartment, on the elevator, and until I'm in a very open area to go for my walk. Then I take it off. It goes back on when I return. I only touch the strings and keep it in the same jacket pocket every time.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! We're back to cold weather now but I will probably not wear one next time I'm just walking outside. There's nothing to touch (no lights/crosswalks or anything like that) so I don't really need to worry about touching my face either.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote