Help

ARCHIVE

Touch Math?

>

iPeach

Touch Math?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying Touch Math for the first time ever. I was suggested to do so. This is for a student struggling with subtraction. We have tried chips, fingers, rulers, etc.... Have you used this method? Do you like it? I found some free sample worksheets on the touch math site, but do any of you just have the numbers, 1 - 9, with the dots on them? Or know where I could get those?
Thank you

iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikesell

Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Love, love love touch math.

I use it with my Kindergarten class.

If you go to http://www.touchmath.com/ you can see how it all works.

I love it!

Also, if you teach a training you get stuff.... http://www.touchmath.com/index.cfm?f...lcome&gPage=33

Kelly
Mikesell is offline   Reply With Quote

kellie88

Love It!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love Touch Math! I have found it to be very successful with struggling students in Grade 3. Last year I even tried Touch Money. I think your student will benefit from being able to touch and visualize.
kellie88 is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Still use it
Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm 31 and learned touch math in Kindergarten. I still catch myself using it---enough said--it is great!! I didn't have the budget to buy the program so I just taught my 3rd graders where to put the dots and how to count them. You can get the placement of the dots on the website.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 01-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't have the money to buy the program either, so I just made number strips with the numbers 1-9 on it, added the dots myself and photocopied onto card stock. I have a strip for every student. Some love it and use it all the time, others are off and on with it. I even added the dots to the numbers that came with my cursive alphabet chart.

I don't know about the touch money or how to teach anything beyond basic facts. However, I do think it's a good program.

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

KAS112

Worth the investment
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our first grade has used it, when the previous first grade teacher retired I inherited some of the Touch Math and love it. I had never seen it until about 3 years ago. It is really great for the struggling student. If you go to their website you can probably request a catalogue or call them and request one - often they have things in there that you can use (i.e. scan or create some of the things you can't afford - I know very bad of me to suggest) for example I have an old one that has the colored student number line. Actually the student pack of number lines (the 1-9) aren't very expensive if you don't buy the colored ones, they have a class pack printed on yellow cardstock with black dots (which the kids actually find easier to use) for about $12, you can order it on the website I believe.

I had used their money idea and made my own dotted coins - but this year we pooled some resources on our team and bought the binder of material. It's well worth the money if you can get it. If you don't have the resources you might want to check into grants, I know Donors Choose has recently gotten some good press so maybe you might luck out there.
KAS112 is offline   Reply With Quote

dtrabilsy

Touch Math
Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Some of my fourth graders still use it. It is amazing!! It shouldn't be too hard making some kind of a small poster for them to learn the points.

Last year I had a group that needed to use the Touch Money. I couldn't believe how quickly they caught on to this also.
dtrabilsy is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Multiplication
Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Touch Math can be used for multiplication and division as well. I use Saxon Math but incorporate Touch Math for add, sub., and money during calendar time.

Well worth teaching to all students as a strategy.
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

ritateach

Touch Math and Touch Money
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love both of these programs...Others have told you about the dots on the numbers so I'll just explain the coins.

The coins are counted by 5's. There are 2 dots on the dime, 1 dot on the nickel and 5 dots on the quarter. The children don't need to have the money sorted to count it. They just remember where the touch points are and then count. When they add pennies, they draw a line under the pennies to start counting by one. It's a great program!
ritateach is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2TeachK-6

Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had never seen this until today! This is fantastic! I love it and can't wait to use it.

Luv2TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
krchab99

krchab99

i use touch math
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am 28 i was tought touch math in 2nd grade by a tutar my got for me to help me learn math it was one of the greatest gifts she has ever given me I still use it it saved me. I plan to teach it to my children over the summer break.
Tahleteach

Tahleteach

touch math
Old 07-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I was a kid in 5th grade, I struggled all those years to do simple math and especially long rows of numbers. My mom played a game with me using dominoes. She taught me to add the dots of the dominoes in a line. I did really well. Well, when I got to school I saw the number six and automatically saw the dominoe dots over it and could immeadiately add the long row of numbers. My dots, though, aren't quite like the touch math. Mine are set up more like the dots on a dominoe. I STILL use that today, I'm 43!!!!

InspireMe2B

Touch Math for Money
Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would love to use this with my first graders. Can you explain how to teach the kids how many dots go on each coin (how do they know to place one dot on the nickel?). Is there a certain spot on the coin that the dot is placed?? Thanks!!!!
InspireMe2B is offline   Reply With Quote