ARCHIVE

1styear 1st grade teacher Black History Month

>

Nicole5129

Nicole5129

1styear 1st grade teacher Black History Month
Old 01-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HELP! It's my first year teaching and I am a first grade teacher in Newark. I would really like to incorporate the community and Black History Month in a meaningful and purposeful bulletin board. BUT I'M stuck. Any ideas? PLEASE HELP!

snowpoppy2

black history BB
Old 01-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure how to tie in the community, however my kids did a BB and they (or someone else) traced their silhouettes-or they could draw their own heads on all different colors of construction paper. We put them together in a huge crayon box and had a poem posted next to it explaining that we're all different colors and we're proud of it. The world would be so boring if all we had to choose from was one color. Hope that sorta helps
snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelia

Old 01-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nicole, you could also print out some famous African Americans on colored construction paper or white paper and let the children color them and cut them out. Staple them on the Bulletin board and let the children find out some information about them (such as when they died, what important things or changes they accomplished), etc., then cut this information out and paste it under the person they chose to discuss.

You could also have find pictures of people (famous or not) and assist with putting them on a bulletin board and discussing their race (chinese, african american, caucasian, etc), talk about their culture (research it), then have a part on the board where they realize.....Regardless of our race, we are all people, and that makes us special.

just some ideas....hope it helps

Last edited by Shelia; 01-19-2007 at 07:00 PM..
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote

mashikwei

I work in Newark too!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Nicole,

Last year (my first year)I did a bulletin board titled Africa's Finest. I included portraits of both African(Nelson Mendela, Patrice Lumumba, Kwame Nkrumah, I can't recall her name but the first woman president of Liberia, Hailee Selasee, etc.) and African-Americans(King, Fannie Lou Hamer, Geroge Washington Carver, Malcolm X, Frederick Douglass,Madame C.J Walker, Carter G. Woodson, etc..) and included a brief bio of each one. I picked about 14. Now, outside of the display, everyday I talked briefly about each of the people featured outside in our display, just in case anyone asked,my kids would have an answer. I also made sure during read aloud, I read books written by african-americans or read something that occured during slavery.I did this for the whole month. This is something I do for every major celebration(women's history month, Puerto Rican Heritage, St. Patrick's Day, Presidents' Day, etc..). I hope I've helped.Good Luck.
mashikwei is offline   Reply With Quote