Help

Sunflower Room

Just starting RW-advice please

>

Zumbanut

Just starting RW-advice please
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Debbie Miller came to our school district last summer. I was very motivated to try readers workshop. It's now Feb. and I still haven't done it. Should I start getting prepared for next year, or try to get it going for the end of this year.
Also, where to begin???

Socks

Reader's Workshop
Old 02-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I started reader's workshop last year, I found the plans posted here - http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=86323 (and the ones found in the link provided on that thread) - to be so helpful! They got me started. I'm more confident this year to listen to what my students need, but I'm still using them as a guide. Maybe they will be helpful to you as well!

Zumbanut

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. I'll check them out. Do you think I should jump in now for the remainder of the year, or just get prepared for next year? My biggest hurdle is the individual book boxes for the kids. Where to put them in a room with no storage?

MrsJ

I started by leveling my classroom library
Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That took the most time, and the district gave us a year to get it done. I think I read you need to have 2/3rds of your books leveled before you begin RW. And you'll need to find out your students' Independent Reading Levels. Once you do that, the mini-lessons should be no problem- what grade level do you teach? I did curriculum work so I have mini-lessons and objectives listed by the month for k-2. If you want them, let me know- I've posted them a few times before. As far as the individual book boxes- I've had them lined up on top of bookcases, one teacher used those magazine holders which didn't take up too much space (but were more money than I wanted to spend) and others use sturdy baggies- they could be stored in baskets. I got little book baskets from the dollar store and they've lasted a few years, but you could always do a donorschoose project and ask for materials to house your kids' books. I just might do that myself- it will save me from another trip to the dollar store! In response to your original question- if you have all the pieces in place, why not play around with it this year and get your feet wet? That's what I did, and then when I began "for real" the following year, I was much more confident. Good luck- you'll love RW!

MrsJ

Zumbanut- Sort & Store Book holders
Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just went onto DonorsChoose and wrote a proposal for these book holders- I think they would be great for you for your kids' individual book boxes. They are from Lakeshore Learning:

Item Name: AA757 - Sort & Store Book Organizer Item Number: AA757 Unit Price: $34.95 Quantity: 4 Vendor: Lakeshore Learning (Donors Choose)
After I read your post, I began thinking about how beat up my book baskets are that I had gotten from the dollar store, so I wrote up a proposal for these. Why don't you do the same? I love DonorsChoose- I've gotten great things for my classroom. Good luck!

Zumbanut

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am not familiar with Donors Choose. Can you tell me more. You are getting me motivated! I know the levels of my kids and I have tons of books. Thanks for your help!

MrsJ

go online and check it out
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

DonorsChoose is an online, not for profit organization that helps teachers get supplies for their classrooms. I learned about it on PT, of course! It's very user friendly- just go to donorschoose.org and the site will walk you through how to register and how to post a project. You can look at how I wrote up my request for the book holders- it's called, "A Tisket, a Tasket, We Need New Reading Baskets!" Have fun with it!

Zumbanut

Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you! I'm going to check into this!