Help

The Job Search

No classroom to go to this fall...

>

Catch-22

No classroom to go to this fall...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just graduated in May and have been looking for a job. One of the reasons why I want to be a teacher is because I love learning and going to school. This is the first year that I have not been going back school since I was five.

It is so hard not to get depressed. I have been trying to focus on the positive. I have had some screening interviews and I have subbing lined up for next year. My parents are also both educators who have given me so much advice and have connections with different districts in the area. Although their help is great, it also adds a lot of pressure. Even with their help, I still do not have a job.

I just don't know what else I can do at this point. I worked so hard in college to build my resume and to get a lot of experience in the classroom. I did really well during my student teaching. I also feel like I am comfortable and prepared during interviews. Hearing nothing has made me lose so much confidence and made me less excited about teaching.

I guess I just posted this because I need to get out all of my negative feelings. I feel like I can't be the only one who hates seeing back to school commercials, who tries to be happy for other people who got jobs (even though it hurts a little), and who hates our country's current economic situation. I know I can get through this, but right now I am having a hard time.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

let it all out
Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Let it out... vent... that's what the board is for. We have ALL written pretty much the same thing. It sucks that you want to teach.... and you can't .... because there aren't any jobs... too many teachers. .. budget.... or whatever the case may be. Those back to school commercials do get me sad too! boooo. You are young yet though... I graduated in 2007 and taught in private school for two years, long term subbed last year, and still don't have a contract. Keep your head up.... we will get through this!
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderteachnc

I understand
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My DD just graduated in May and was more less promised a job at the student teaching school if there was an opening. Well there wasn't but her principal and cooperating teacher made some calls for her and she got an interview. Well she didn't get the job, she was the second choice. Well that principal called another one and she got another interview, didn't get that one either. Then there was an opening at the school she did student teaching at, she interviewed, but it was for math and there was some conflict between the team she would be on and the team she did student teaching on, so she didn't get it. But then the principal at school #2 called her again about another position. She should know tomorrow. She also interviewed at the school I work at, and no luck. She also applied for a job where I knew the AP, but was not chosen for an interview. Most of it has to do with the no experience part and that over 100 people apply for the job, and many of then do have experience so the principals kind of have to hire them or risk HR or the board not approving them. It's a hard road right now. I hope it gets better. I wish you luck. I'm sure your parents feel really bad they can't help you more.
kinderteachnc is offline   Reply With Quote

MsRLuvs2Teach

Welcome to my life!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel the same exact way! My favorite response is, "we need someone with more experience" How can we expect to have more teaching experience when no one gives us a shot? We're all capable! The hiring system is flawed. It's not fair for us subs who, in my opinion, have quality experience. Many of us guest teachers are more effective than some full time teachers! (*no offensive to the PT classroom teachers; I'm just frustrated )

We should build our OWN school. I'd hire everyone on this board! lol Chin up!
MsRLuvs2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

sunstateteach

Positive patience
Old 08-18-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm right there with you. I also graduated in May, and had the same exact hopes as you, and now have felt my momentum decline due to no job. It is so frustrating, because I know once I begin, I'm going to be an amazing teacher, as I'm sure you will be as well.

The best advice I can share, which you may already know but is worth repeating, is to build relationships. Make yourself known. As you begin subbing this year, use that time to "preview" schools in your district, and try to get an idea of the ones you'd really like to work at. Then, try and take as many sub days there as possible. While you are there, make yourself known, be friendly and outgoing, introduce yourself to the admins, P, VP, etc., as well as the team of the grade you are working with. If teachers are allowed to request certain subs, ask the teachers you meet and sub for to request you.

Once they know who you are, let them know that you are a recent graduate and that you'd really LOVE to teach there...and why. Hopefully this will work for you (and me!).

I completely understand how drained you are feeling and feel that you have failed in some way...however I feel the truth is that our expectations are just unrealistic in the current job market/economy.

In the meantime, take a class of some sort and continue to strengthen your skills. Have you considered graduate school? I've been trying to use this time to further expand my "bag of tricks" by searching for ideas/tips/games/lessons on here and other sites, and through books and magazines related to the field. When I find something fun that I think I'd like to use, it gives me a burst of excitement and positive energy.

Good luck, and trust in knowing that a positive attitude and perseverance will get you to where you are meant to be.

sunstateteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mila15

Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have you considered continuing on to grad school? Where I live, most districts won't even consider you unless you're double or triple certified (in Early Childhood/Elementary + Literacy, Special Ed, ESL, etc.).

In addition to subbing, perhaps you can get a part time job tutoring (Sylvan, Huntington, or even private tutoring) or volunteer with children (Big Brothers/Big Sisters, YMCA, Literacy Volunteers). It'll help boost your resume and stand out from the crowd.

Above all, keep your positive attitude! It's a tough market, but there's a job for each of us!
mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catch-22

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much. You are all right. I have been trying to focus on being the best sub I can be next fall. I have also have some volunteer things planned. I am sure when the year gets started I will be busy and have a much better outlook.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote