Help

New Teachers

Second year and I just resigned

>

careertchr

Second year and I just resigned
Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in my second year of teaching and I just resigned. I was an assistant for four years before this. I thought I would love teaching. I loved some parts of it but not enough to continue. I hated how the administration at my school seemed to have a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude towards her teaching staff. She was not supportive. The other teachers, including my mentor, always said they thought that I was doing a great job.The students loved me and I loved them. But the Director/principal was not supportive at all. She has a reputation for targeting one or two teachers every year. This year I was the unlucky teacher who got targeted. I hated walking into the building every morning wondering what I was going to be called out for each day. I felt like I was under a microscope. I spent most of my free time either working on school/class stuff or at least thinking about this stuff. My mind was on my job 24/7. I got so stressed and depressed about being this years target that I had my Dr. write me off work so that I could use up all of my sick days so that I could decide if I wanted to resign. While I was at home for my 23 days of my leave of absence I felt so happy. My family said they saw a completely different me, a much happier me. My husband didnt want me to quit at first because this was a well paying job. But some things are more important than money. So I kept talking to my husband and eventually he agreed to me resigning. Lucky for me, my lay day of my leave of absence was on the last day of school before the beginning of Winter Break.On that day I wrote my simple, no excuse letter of resignation and sent it to both the superintendent (who always had the Director/Principal's back the way that the Director should have had her teacher's backs) and the Director. I feel so relieved. I am lucky to have a husband who supports me. If I were single I would not have been able to resign. Every now and then I get a thought of "oh my goodness, I just walked away from a lot of money!" And then I think about how much happier I am to have my life back and I have to admit to myself that I did what was best for MYSELF. This is probably the first time in my life that I have ever done what was best for me. And it feels good. It feels right. If you are considering resigning, I will tell you what I did first to help me with my decision. I wrote down all of our bills and called every utility company to get on their budget payment plan. I called the cable company and explained my situation that I was about to be unemployed and was happily surprised at how well they worked with me to get me into an affordable cable/internet pkg. I changed cell phone companies for a much reduced monthly bill.We changed our home and car insurance to a different company (we are going to be saving 100.00 monthly). And I figured out a weekly grocery store budget.Money is going to be tight, but I am willing to make sacrifices to preserve my heath and happiness. I will eventually return to working, but it wont be to teaching. I want a job that I can leave at work so that I can have and enjoy my life.I have a great amount of respect for teachers.Teaching was the hardest job I have ever done. I taught in a career teach school after owning my own business for over 20 plus years.Teaching was much harder and more life consuming than owning my own business ever was. For me, teaching was life consuming, and that is not what I wanted for myself. After two years of teaching and four previous years as a teaching assistant in my career field, I feel happy again. Resigning was not an easy decision but it was the right decision for me.

Last edited by careertchr; 12-23-2015 at 10:11 PM..
careertchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Best wishes
Old 12-24-2015, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like your plan was well thought out. Teaching is not for everyone. I hope you find a career that you love. You deserve all the best. Good luck!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-25-2015, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wish you all the best! I know what it is like to "walk away" from something that you could not do any more. All of my life, this was discouraged. People who walk away are called "quitters," and somehow it is better to be unhappy and mentally drained than to be called a quitter.

You will find a job where all of your spare time is not taken up by working on bulletin boards, and checking papers! Something fun, like making things for ETSY!
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-26-2015, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You were very proactive in working to make your home expenses more manageable! Smart!!! Very loving of your DH to support you on your resignation.

I'm newly retired and it is wonderful not being consumed 24/7 with school. It really is liberating!

Good luck to you on your next venture!
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Hugs!
Old 12-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is important to find what is right for you. I'm sure you will know when the right opportunity arises.

Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

taza280

best of luck!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in my first year of teaching and want to quit everyday. I have all these guilty feelings about quitting, but like you said, your health and happiness comes first. I wish I could find it in myself to be as brave as you!

best of luck to you in your next moves!
taza280 is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

Me too!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm a long term sub in my first year of teaching. I hate the politics and jealousy that is teaching. I find that no one wants to help me, even though they know I'm new at it. Wish I could offer more encouragement! Best of luck.
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It sounds like you had a bad admin. Not all admin are like that. Hopefully you'll be willing to try again in another district with a better/more supportive admin and have a better experience.

My first district/teaching experience was horrendous. I'm in a district that I really like and I can honestly say that I enjoy teaching.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote