Help

Third Grade

Classroom economy

>

kahluablast

Classroom economy
Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to do one next year. I did a modified version the last several months this year, but next year am going whole hog. Kids have jobs, get paychecks, pay rent, etc. I had a store this year only one time, but next year will have it on a more regular basis. This year since we did it on the last day, it was completely trinkets/toys. Next year I plan on office supplies, homework passes and other rewards. Maybe a few higher end items for kids to work to earn.

My kids have desks and keep their own supplies (except for the items that I collect at the beginning of the year). I have a lost and found bin, plus my own bins with crayons, markers, and stuff like that. I am considering putting those things away, and keeping the lost and found bin under my control. I am going to have office supplies in the "store" where kids will buy pencils, erasers, etc. I think I might charge a finders fee for lost materials they have to get from the lost and found. I realize this will take a little class time, but I am hoping that in the end these kids will learn a little responsibility and organization. You know the ones - the ones who NEVER put their things away, who's pencil is always on the floor, etc. I am thinking of having a few supplies for them to temporarily borrow (pencils with something taped to the top) until they can go to the store to purchase something - probably during their recess or free time.

This will be my economics unit, with a few lessons thrown in for good measure. Any feedback? Anyone do this?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Sounds great!
Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have always wanted to do as you described but have never gotten it together. I wish we were teammates - I'd do it with you!

I'm sorry I don't have any thoughts other than to say - sounds great and I'd love to hear how it goes next year.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-22-2016, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did it for years (last year was the first year I didn't do it). I paid and charged as appropriate and every week we had Character Cash store where kids could spend their money or save it. I had trinkets, candy, pens, pencils, markers, etc

I also charged if they didn't put their name, number and date on their papers. I increased the "fees" and what they got paid every trimester.

It was a fantastic system.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

Adermart
Old 06-23-2016, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have done this for years although I don't charge rent. I'll have to think about that. My students earn money for good behavior, grades, and solving the problem of the day. I charge a registration fee for no name papers, speeding fine for running, landfill fee for messy desk area, and disturbing the peace if they are talking or bothering their neighbors when it is not a time allowed for talking. I open my store every couple of weeks. I have toys, trinkets, supplies, some food items, passes, and sometimes some clothing or personal care items. I like the idea of lost and found bin and charging students to retrieve something from the bin. I have a no borrowing money or loaning money to other students. I keep a record of students that owe me money and take it from them on payday. It is really a useful tool to teach the concept of earning and saving.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The two of you who did this, how did you handle the time for collecting fees and giving rewards? Certain time of day, or just keep track of it and do it once a week or month?

Beagles- if you are interested, here is a site with much of what you need already put together. https://www.myclassroomeconomy.org/grades/grade2-3.html

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

fees
Old 06-24-2016, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I paid students once a week when I distributed newsletters with the previous week's grades. I have a tack board with each students' number on it and if a student broke a rule they move their tack and I keep track of behavior this way. You can easily use a clipboard as well. I keep a clipboard with each students name and put a mark for fees when students owe me money. Most of the time they pay their fines when the event occurs or I pay them when they earn an extra dollar. It really doesn't take much time at all once you figure out your routine and teach it to the students. When a student forget their name on their paper, they know to bring a dollar up when retrieving their paper.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote