Help

The VENT

My school district lies about recycling

>

readnteach13

My school district lies about recycling
Old 11-29-2019, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I honestly work for a very good district. We are very lucky to have amazing funding, and a very supportive community. There are a few nutty adminstrators, but overall, we are very fortunate.
I know some may see this as a minor issue compared to other problems...but my district flat out LIES about recycling. They are always bragging on social media about how environmentally friendly we are, and how we recycle, have minimal food waste, blah, blah blah.

The truth though? EVERY single recycling bin gets dumped in with the regular trash. Every room, and the cafeteria has a recyclying bin, but all that paper, and all those plastic bottles are not recycled. It is not just my building- I have several teacher and para friends at each school, and they have seen the same thing.

Don't even get me started on how much food is wasted .

readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your school district should be honest about its recycling efforts. At the same time, there's a messy truth that many are uncomfortable discussing--there's a glut of recyclables.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-ame...-in-the-dumps/

My wife and I faithfully put newspapers, cardboard, cans, etc. in our recycling bin every week, but I wouldn't be surprised if much of it ends up in a landfill.

Last edited by c6g; 11-29-2019 at 02:47 PM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-29-2019, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Adding on to c6g's comments.... my city and schools were always very diligent about recycling. Now they have few places to send it and it costs more to recycle than to throw it in the trash. China no longer wants most of America's dirty recyclables.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

recycling
Old 11-29-2019, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
My wife and I faithfully put newspapers, cardboard, cans, etc. in our recycling bin every week, but I wouldn't be surprised if much of it ends up in a landfill.
Yes, I just listened to a podcast explaining why so many recyclables don't get recycled. But I still think it's a good idea to get people in the habit of separating out recyclables so when they solve the problem everyone will not have to be "retrained" to separate their trash.

As for food, schools may have become better at ordering the correct amount of food for the student population but if the kids won't eat it there's going to be food waste.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-30-2019, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My school does this as well. In fact, all the schools I've worked at have done it. I don't know why they pretend.

But I will sometimes take home bottles from my lunch so I can recycle or reuse them. I just can't put those things in the trash.

Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school stopped recycling because the county was not emptying our recycling bins. They were overflowing and causing a mess. The trash collection people came regularly. The recycling people couldn't manage to get it together.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 11-30-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I donít know what happens at my school, but at my house my paper recycling goes in the trash truck. I saw it happen and called them and they told us that is what they do. I canít switch companies.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Mine lies about a lot worse things than
Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

recycling! It stinks though when you realize how schools are often designed for appearance sake and a lot of things we are told to do are all about the $$$.
It took me a lot of yrs to realize schools are like businesses.
I remember being shocked and disillusioned when I figured a lot out.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote