I used to hate this time of year at school... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

I used to hate this time of year at school...

>

EdfromBama

I used to hate this time of year at school...
Old 12-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon to all-
This last couple of weeks before the semester break for holidays was always one of my least favorite times of the school year. Kids were crazy, grades had to be averaged, make-up work had to be averaged in, grades had to be re-averaged, and then grades had to be posted. Of course, some parent would call me all distracted with concern over little Billy's or little Susie's grade- and was there ANYTHING to be done to salvage the poor kid's grade.
Deadly.

But now...
This morning I worked on a couple of article assignments. Then we went to town to get some needed groceries. I made a very nice grilled lamb sandwich on brioche for lunch. Then I took a nap.

I just made pasta- it will be topped with clams in a wine sauce- to go with the salad- some of our last of the year from the garden tomatoes with fresh from the garden lettuce for supper tonight.

And I don't have to average a single grade.

That would be a major improvement in life, I'd say.

Good evening to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

This Time of Year
Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm happy not to be teaching this time of year. Kids were usually hyper in December, and I was more than ready for winter break. By the time it came I was usually exhausted.

Retirement is the best.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

This time of year
Old 12-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd be preaching to the choir if I repeated all the reasons December was a train wreck at school.

Home life was stressful, too, during that month. With a growing family, I felt stressed, frayed, and definitely NOT in the holiday mood in order to get everything done. The planning of getting things done at school AND at home was crushing. We live in a VERY rural area where luxuries like malls and Walmart are a 3-hour drive - one way.

When the kids were really little, I would drive to The Big City on a Friday night, leaving the kids with DH. I would hit the 24-hour stores as soon as I got into town, get a motel room, and be at the other stores by 10 a.m. the next morning, arriving back home Saturday night. I felt like Patton directing his 3rd Army through Germany!

And for so many years we didn't dismiss for the holidays until just before Xmas Eve.

This year, I spent 4 days leisurely flitting from one activity to the next here at home. I loved getting the house ready for the holiday. And here it is the 2nd day of December and my holiday baking (what little I still do) has started.

I love retirement.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I worked so hard to keep the kids engaged in our lessons. I would pull out every trick in my book to entice the kids to join in the learning but also have fun. It was exhausting! I completely understood why the kids were hyper and unfocused so I devoted my energies to making school tolerable for those little boppers. I don't miss the exhaustion but I do miss the joy the kids exuded.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with you Ed. Actually, I donít miss anything about teaching. A couple weeks recently we have had some big rainy days in a row. Our classrooms opened to the outside. I REALLY donít miss those days.

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It wasn't just the craziness of the kids. I worked with staff of overachievers who made us bake cookies for all the support staff (custodians, aides, administrative, etc.), plan and practice a Christmas program, and make potluck dishes for both the December potluck and the Christmas Party. They also wanted us to decorate a bus for the tractor parade and take a shift at the drive through light exhibit. Yikes!
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I agree...
Old 12-03-2019, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Years ago, when I first started teaching, we could focus on the fun and magic of this time of year. We made ornaments, learned about the traditions of other cultures, baked and decorated cookies together, and read holiday books. Now everything is mapped out and micromanaged by administrators, who still are doing multiple walk-throughs and observations. We also went to a trimester report card, so that comes out around the first week in December and as Ed said, there were all the hassle and headaches associated with that chore. And while I was struggling to complete the classwork, the music teacher would be doing double music classes to prepare for the winter program at the school.

I find that there is very little I miss about teaching. As I type this, I am waiting for a car service to take me to the airport for a short trip to Florida. We got a very cheap airfare because an airline was coming into our airport and had promotional fares. Of course, if I weren't retired, I wouldn't be able to just pick up and go. The dates and times of these fares were restricted to certain ones.

Sounds like everyone is continuing to enjoy retirement. I love hearing how everyone is spending their time. Enjoy!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote