Help

Sunflower Room

Focus Wall and timeline

>

1stgradenew

Focus Wall and timeline
Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who do when (can't remember who all does but I know it's been a topic numerous times) What do you include on your focus wall and then what do you transfer to the timeline. Do you put anything on your time line that isn't on the focus board?

My thoughts right now for the focus board are to include: Sight words/spelling words, grammar skill, reading workshop, writing workshop, author study, genre study. I'm thinking I will keep it literacy based b/c are math doesn't stick with one topic a week. How could I tranfer from one board to the other without re-writing everthing?

Also for those of you have done this...any advice? anything you wish you would have done or something you started and it ended up being to much work. Also, how do your students use it? do you reference it often?

BookMuncher

timeline
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I put post-its under the focus wall (certain colors correspond with certain areas so that it's clear when looking at the timeline)... this makes it so that I don't have to re-write. There are some things on my focus board that I don't put on the timeline, just because I didn't think we'd refer to it too much (sight words, cause they're on the word wall & grammar). I kept mine literacy based too.

I found myself referencing it with the kids a lot during conferences. We would use it remind ourselves of strategies and such. When the kids looked at it without me, it was to look at the photos of themselves. They did like seeing those. We used it for various things at the end of th eyear and we used in social studies and math when we learned about time change and timelines.