Help

New Teachers

So I've been told I won't be tenured

>

MnToCa

So I've been told I won't be tenured
Old 12-17-2015, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today was my post observation for my final time, and while I still have 2 months until my principal can give me tenure, she made it clear I won't unless there is a miracle.

My students are very off task, and most people in the school consider my room a SPED class even though I teach 4th grade general education due to the severity of my students.

What really upsets me is my principal nit picked my lesson and basically said I did not do anything right, and said I need to be more real and not think I did ok, but my mentor teacher who has been teaching for 25 years at my grade level at my school told me before my lesson that my lesson design was outstanding and u had nothing to worry about.

Could my principal just not like me? She didn't hire me, since I was hired out of state 18 months ago. I feel it's very unfair that she told me all of this with the severity of my students.

We are talking about a kid that yells and flips desks, two girls that yell across the room at each other, and a boy who calls me a F a $$ gorilla and steals.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

He may have someone he wants
Old 12-18-2015, 01:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Certainly stinks.

Get a letter of recommendation from your mentor. (And anyone else, including sped teachet.)

Use the time in your class the rest of the year to build a portfolio.

Develop an internet footprint.

Turn it into lemonade. You were given X months notice so use that to your advantage to prepare for and do a job search.

Last edited by dee; 12-18-2015 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

He may have someone he wants
Old 12-18-2015, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Certainly stinks.

Get a letter of recommendation from your mentor. (And anyone else, including sped teacher.)

Use the time in your class the rest of the year to build a portfolio.

Develop an internet footprint.

Turn it into lemonade. You were given X months notice so use that to your advantage to prepare for and do a job search.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-18-2015, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would not continue working there because (to me) it seems like the P might be "setting you up" for something. It is sad to find that it is up to only one person whether you keep youg job or not. It is sad that you had to go through the rigmarole of moving, setting up in a new state, and so on, just to be told you are not good enough. That is like a knife in the gut, I am sure.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

I am happy to be headed back home anyway
Old 12-18-2015, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My team member also was not given tenure she said, even though she was also a very strong teacher. I realized that basically my principal just doesn't like new teachers to be confident and outgoing. The two teachers that received tenure were quiet women who act very timid and shy.

But I am happy to he headed home to family and friends.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

bonita47

Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We should switch places. My principal is the opposite of yours. She loves the confident outgoing teachers and hates the quiet ones like me.
bonita47 is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

good advice
Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that you should get letters of recommendation and use the time to learn all you can from your mentor. Start looking for where you would like to go next in your career. Also take the advice of your prince and implement the changes requested. We can all improve on our teaching and be open minded to suggestions even if we don't agree.

Look into whole brain teaching. I am a 29 year veteran teacher and just discovered whole brain teaching. It can help with even the hardest to handle students. I teach middle school level and they love the positive reinforcement and interaction that is built into wbt. I cannot say enough good things about whole brain. It has reformed my classroom. I think your 4th graders would love this and you could implement it after Christmas. I also use class dojo with it. The heavy hitters can be given super improver charts where they can start getting some positives when complying to what you ask. With less negative interaction and more positive the climate of the room can begin to turn around.

Hugs and hang in there! Keep us posted on how things go.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I Love what I have seen of whole brain teaching, but I am a beginner and have never seen any one actually using it. I have seen bits and pieces, the score board, and class-yes being used, but I have only seen teachers taking bits and pieces of it.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote