Help

The VENT

Teacher needs help.

>

LaFish

Teacher needs help.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am retired and volunteer to work in the workroom at my former school once a month. Do you realize how much I learned about others just from working in the workroom? I know more about teachers/staff now than when I worked there!

There is a new teacher in first grade. She transferred from another school with glowing recommendations. I met her and she seems nice. But oh my! She is having a lot of trouble with classroom management, the curriculum, and communication with parents. She came in the workroom one day saying that she had to observe another teacherís technique as requested by principal. Later, she was sent to a workshop to learn more about the math program that is in place. A parent dropped off a jacket and I was told that student is now in another class. So admin has even moved kids out of her room.

No one came in to tell me she is not working out. I can read between the lines. Honestly, administrators are trying to help her. I donít think she gets it from the comments that she said to me.

I know. I know. Itís not my circus. They are trying to give her assistance and she doesnít have a clue. Itís terrible.

LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure what's so terrible. She's new, she's struggling, and help is being given. It sounds pretty appropriate. Hopefully over the rest of the year, she'll be able to get things together.

I will say that your post here sounds kind of... I don't know. Mean spirited? You sound as if there is nothing she can do and she's a complete failure now. The school year has only been going for a few months, and she's new. I would say, if she's getting support, she has a chance. I'd be hopeful and encouraging to her. You say she "doesn't have a clue", but I'd say it's likely she fully understands what's happening, but just isn't going to hand it all to you, a stranger (and I don't blame her for that, to me, you sound almost gleeful at her plight).

I'm sure it's hard for her, and she's trying to put on a brave face.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 12-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It could be that it is just a difficult mix of kids and it is an unmanageable class. That happened to me a few years ago. I am eight years away from retirement so I have had a lot of success but no one could have been successful with that group I had. I hope things get better for her. It is hard to be in a new school.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Teeny Tiny
Old 12-07-2019, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yikes! My intention to post was not to sound mean spirited or even giddy at someone's situation. I only wanted to vent.

You are 100% correct it is only December. She can turn it around. I am rooting for her. They are providing workshops and a mentor for her. I sincerely hope the best. I do not want to see her fail or anyone else.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Teacher
Old 12-07-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are right that this isn't your problem. Not your circus . . . not your monkeys.

If she decides to accept the help that is offered to her, that's great. If not, it is her situation and not anyone else's.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 12-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is a tremendous difference in being a new teacher now than compared to years in the past. She's new, has so many demands on the curriculum side, performance/student progress side, then add to that the differences in the students and parents in today's world. It does take awhile, even if one transfers to a new school.

I agree that her first year at this new school will be tough. Attending workshops to learn about a math program used at that school is very normal. Also, schools handle discipline in different ways. Observing how other teachers handle the school discipline procedures is also normal. New teachers at my school always did this, and of course, it attending these things happened in the first few months of school.

Of course this is probably a rough year for her. It would be an adjustment for anyone, seasoned or new to the transfer.

I hope things work out for this teacher!

Last edited by LazyLake; 12-07-2019 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: thank you travelingfar!
LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Lazy Lake
Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The original poster is not placed in the new teacher's classroom. She has picked up this information from her volunteer duty in the teachers' workroom.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 12-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sorry, but you cannot learn much from being in a teacher workroom once a month. Everything that you listed that she had to do seems routine for a teacher starting in a new/different school disctrict.
readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Why not offer to help in her classroom? Maybe you can model some classroom management and help her out.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote