Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Anyone have cement panel siding?

>

Ima Teacher

Anyone have cement panel siding?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have experience with cement panel siding?

I'm turning my side porch into a garage, and I'm considering these cement panels for the exterior walls.

The side of the garage meets traditional red brick. The front would abut the garage door and the screened front porch.

It comes in 20 colors. My trim is dark gray. I don't care for vinyl siding mixed with brick. The brick is too old to get a decent match. I like the look of the cement panels, but I don't know anyone who has them.

beachygrl

Lots of people here have them!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't personally (yet!) but in my local area these are the most common exterior on new builds or remodels. We're on the Texas coast, where the sea air & humidity is rough on wood, and the sunshine destroys vinyl. I think it's a bit spendy up-front, but everybody I know who has it thinks they made a good choice.

bellringer

cement siding
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is what I am hoping to put on my lake cottage. My son thinks it would be a great siding.

Peaches Pears

Old 12-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That looks like the stuff on my nephew's addition (and the old part of the house too). I think it is quite popular in that part of the province. Just starting to appear in my area. I think it is a good idea. The windows are flush with the outside (or more flush), resulting in some interior renovation to nephew's windows --- more/wider interior window sills. They covered over the old part of the house (brick) to make the addition and original house uniform. It looks really nice. Sort of a dark wine colour. Many others in that area are green tones and taupe tones.
The design runs vertical so it has a bit of the board and baton look to it.

Ima Teacher

Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It seems like it would be durable, and I like the vertical design. I haven't priced it yet. I'd need 7 or 8 panels. That side if my house gets the most wind, so not having to paint would be a plus.

Thanks!

newoldteacher

We have a little...
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

of that beside our front door. It's flush against the vinyl siding (house trim), so I stand in a position to compare and contrast (sorry...4th grade teacher here!).

Concrete panel------ NO mildew. Color fast after 5 years of direct morning/mid-day sun. No cracking. No buckling.

Vinyl siding------PLENTY of mildew. Faded after 5 years of direct morning/mid-day sun. No cracking, but some buckling.

When our contractor installed the concrete board he told us it would still be standing when the rest of the house was gone. I was skeptical then, but now...I'm a believer.

Go for it! I don't think you'll be disapointed. The mildew factor alone is worth the difference in price, in my opinion. (I live in the southeast, where mildew/mold is rampant!)