Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Reflecting on childhood...

>

playpower

Reflecting on childhood...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A few days ago I was letting my mind wander. I was overwhelmed by work and a bunch of other stuff. I found myself thinking how nice it would be to be a child again. No responsibilities, no pressure, no dead-lines, etc...

I really don't think I would want to be a child today. When I was a kid I never would have thought of school not being safe, or the movie theater, or the mall... I used to watch the news with my mom and the most traumatic things I remember are: the Challenger tragedy, baby Jessica falling in the well, and President Reagan's attempted assasination.

The poor children of today are bombarded by evil acts. How I wish they could have even a little slice of the innocence I had as a child growing up in the 80s.

What events do you remember affecting you as a child?

twin2

I so agree
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Life is so different now. I remember when we respected our neighbors and did not have to be weary of them. I remember the same tragic events you remember, but I do not remember ever hearing of the violence at schools that today's children are used to hearing about.

OK4NOW

Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There were a lot of "world events" that happened (born in 1974) but I always felt safe with my parents, grandparents, family, neighborhood, and church. I do miss that security. I first felt unsafe on September 11th and I was 27 years old. Take care!

The internet sometimes scares me that someone will empty out my bank account or charge my credit card.

mhugs

I grew up in the cold war years
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I panicked every Friday at noon when the air raid sirens went off and we did the duck and cover drills. I ran the distance from Jr high and my house because I was afraid the atom bomb would drop and I'd be a crispy critter. Remember being mad at my dad because he wouldn't build a bomb shelter. The first real violence I remember was Kennedy being shot and then the next fall a close friend was killed in a car accident. Green Berets was just a song on the radio but by my freshman year in college the guys were going off to Vietnam and color TV brought the war into our living rooms.

kster

Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think the world events we witnessed as children have been replaced with many things that have always been going on...the smart phone and ease of media have changed that.

wildflowerz

Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I remember being taught to be careful of strangers. My parents (I think) taught me what to do if someone tried to kidnap me.

I was scared to death of the trash men. My older siblings thought it was funny to tell little kids that trash men would pick up kids and throw them away with the trash.

They also told me I would die in an hour if I ate something before communion.

Overall though, I felt my neighborhood was a safe place to grow up.

trishg1

Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Maybe it was because of the abuse I endured as a small child, but I remember thinking about "what if a mad gun man comes in my school" scenario as a kid. I imagined what I would do if the big kid on the bus pulled out a knife, or if soneone abducted my parents.

But I also rember day dreaming about maple leaves- I spent a great deal of time in a maple tree in my back yard.

tripteach

Kidnapping
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In 1974 or 75 a little girl was kidnapped and killed in my hometown while I was in elementary school. That changed my life forever, even how I parented my own children. I was petrified of someone taking me or as an adult taking my children. I can't imagine what this will do to these little ones.

so sad.

rachelmpd

Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Like OK, I was also born in 1974. I was a child in the 80's. I don't know if I would want to be a child in this day and age. I wouldn't mind going back to the 80's and having the most tramatic events being the Challenger explosion and an earthquake when I was in high school. I remember the news reports of baby Jessica and a child being kidnapped not too far from us. The last two were so far removed from me, I never thought much of it.

The big rules were-be home by the time the streetlights were on, tell my mother where I was going, look both ways when crossing the street, and don't talk to strangers. I walked to and form school in Elementary (1 block, but it curved) and Jr. High (1/2 mile away). I walked to the grocery store, my grandmother's, and 7-11. All these places were off of busy streets. I doubt I would let a child today walk any of these places by themselves.

I agree it would be nice for kids today to have some of the innocence we had growing up.

PPCDTeacher

Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I h ad a pretty traumatic childhood, but i think todays kids have an awfully hard time feeling safe with so many tragedies going on these days.