Help

The VENT

Bad communication immediately after hired

>

soleil00

Bad communication immediately after hired
Old 07-21-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I changed districts (states, everything!) this summer. I signed my contract, got my badge, and got all of the HR stuff done back on June 5th. It is now July 21st and I still have no access to any of the district sites. I have no email, can't access our insurance hub, can't access our curriculum drive, nothing. New staff members are supposed to start next Friday (Aug 2nd).

I've emailed and called my new principal with NO response at all. I've emailed and called our IT department that handles most of that, after 3 (over a 30 day period) attempts I finally got in touch with them only to be told that they have more important things than new staff access. I've tried to call our HR dept regarding my insurance because I can't access it until they get me the info, no response either.

I'm basically at a loss because I've never had this level of bad communication this early on. I understand it's summer, but I also know the admin building works through the summer except for one week off (last week). I'm at the point of giving up and hoping for the best. I don't want to be that annoying new employee.

Maybe we'll get our access at the new staff member meeting? I have no idea. I feel better after venting, truthfully, less frustrated.

soleil00 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get where youíre excited to start but as long as all your paperwork is done and itís official I would take a deep breath. Yes, itís rude, but they do have other things going on. Iíd wait until new teacher orientation next week. My guess is at that point everything will be taken care of. If there are things not taken care of then I would send emails to the appropriate places. Insurance hasnít kicked in yet so you probably canít access it yet anyway.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teapot

Congratulations on your new change
Old 07-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry you have to deal with all of that. I would probably go into the district office or your administration office in person. I know in my district an email is often ignored in the summer and phone calls take forever to get returned. However, when I'm standing in front of them, it is much harder to put things off. Hope you get answers soon.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 07-21-2019, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is certainly frustrating! You made some major changes and the non-communication only adds to your stress. I am sorry you are dealing with this.

Hopefully, it will all get worked out on your first day. In my district, new hires are given all that information and access on their first day. Do new hires start before the regular teacher start date?
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-21-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am frustrated for you. You will probably get what you need at the new staff meeting.

In my district, new hires have orientation that first week and they give them all the information, username, password, e-mail at that time. They want to go over everything with the new hires at one time-instead of one at a time.

When we've had new hires, our principal would give the new teacher an email address/phone number for a contact person on the grade level (with our permission) and ask if he/she wanted to share personal email address or phone number with the grade level because they don't get school email until their training. It is hard because the new hires have questions about things like online planbook, gradebook, e-mail, taking attendance... but can't access them. They have to try to figure it out that first week which is so stressful already.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

New Hires
Old 07-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know you are excited and anxious to get things going. Like iteachk2010 said, our new hires have an orientation a week or so before inservice begins. They get all the pertinent info and access to email etc. Someone else suggested to go to the admin office. That sounds like a good idea, as well. I hope you can enjoy your last bit of summer because it will be here before you know it. I hope you have a fabulous year at your new school!!!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Stress!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That would totally stress me out, too! I would think your principal would at least respond to you. I would wait until the new staff meeting before I totally freak. Good luck!!!
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-22-2019, 01:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If your district is anything like mine you will get a binder with all of that info at new teacher orientation, then you get to go over it...slowly...while you feel a pressing need to actual set up your classroom and first week of school stuff.

It's coming. While you wait you might be better served to work in your room getting it ready so that you feel less frustration when are going through your new teacher documents if you dont feel like a ticking clock is counting down on your time to finish the million things you still need to do in your room.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

New Hire
Old 07-22-2019, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In my district new hires donít get any of that information until new hire orientation. Itís a week long PD and they are introduced to how everything is ran and done. Iíd wait until new hire orientation to see if you get all of that stuff.

Our tech department would have said the exact same thing to you. The summer is their busiest time. They donít even load new hires into the system until the night before the training. There have been many times new hires are added last minute.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-22-2019, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would bet if you checked your contract that you'll see you're not officially on staff yet. It probably specifies a start date that you haven't reached yet. You'll get everything once you're officially on staff.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Don't have anything substantial to say as I think everybody else gave good advice. I do have a lot of sympathy though because I know it's frustrating when you want to be checking things off your list!!
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That is very frustrating. The common practice around here is to do all of that during the new employee onboarding days. They hand out laptops, set up logins and emails, give brief presentations on benefits and other HR. You also get tons of handouts with information. Hopefully everything will soon be clarified for you.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

soleil00

That's what I'm hoping for!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I think yall are probably right. I'm coming from a district that I got EVERYTHING the day I signed the contract, so it's just a big difference for me that I have to get used to! All districts do things a bit different and this one probably does wait until the new staff orientation to handle the business side of hiring.

@Kinderkr4zy - that's the other thing, I am not able to get into my classroom! I haven't spoken to the principal since early June, when I toured the school after signing contract. Then I was told that we weren't allowed in the building due to maintenance and IT installing new security systems. I don't know when we're able to go in plus I don't have keys. I would love to be able to go up to my room and start organizing things and get school stuff out of my living room!

TAOEP

Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Since you apparently are not going to have access to information, curriculum, classroom etc.--YOU ARE ON VACATION!

Enjoy it. Plan some fun, relaxing, special things to do with your last 10 days. Once you start working, you'll be wishing for some time for yourself.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
@Kinderkr4zy - that's the other thing, I am not able to get into my classroom! I haven't spoken to the principal since early June, when I toured the school after signing contract. Then I was told that we weren't allowed in the building due to maintenance and IT installing new security systems. I don't know when we're able to go in plus I don't have keys. I would love to be able to go up to my room and start organizing things and get school stuff out of my living room!
Ack! I got my keys like a month before school started. But I also always took over a previously empty room. Its a heck of a job to move everything over to a new school (and I never had anyone to help me or a truck so I could move more at once-I saw someone post about that and I thought its a great idea) and it takes FOR...EV...ER. I also got to meet my grade level team when I was in working on my room so I could be in on any collaboration and I got all for first week of school info and lesson plan ideas and copies from them because we had met and and chatted while working in our rooms over summer. I would hate no info AND no keys.

There was another thread about when people can access their room and it does seem pretty common not to be able to access it over summer though.

OK new suggestion-Get you house super in order and precook/prep some meals you are gonna have a very exhausting first few weeks. The least you can do it start getting ready to keep things up on the home front. Thats what I am up to today.

I am making a freezing several batches of egg bites, keto paleo friendly snacks and fat bombs so I dont crumble and fall of the wagon or feel compelled to buy over priced compliant premade foods, and mom dinners (son doesnt eat the same foods that I do). I am also doing ALL laundry and making sure everything is clean as a whistle. I know that is where I fall off when I get too busy at work.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 07-22-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I've learned
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

not to depend on admin for that kind of info. Contact your HR, they should know.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

OrganizedPup

Old 07-22-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I get that you’re excited but *technically* you don’t start until Aug 2nd so they don’t technically need any of that information ready for you until then.
OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I work in a large district. Many of our new hires don't get everything set up until weeks after school starts. It is really hard on them and isn't fair at all. I hope you get access much quicker!
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Typical
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

What you describe is very typical, unfortunately. For many admins, getting staffing numbers / assignments finalized for the next school year is the last official duty, and new teachers signing their contracts is often the cue for the start of their summer break. It's easy for them to forget how anxious new hires are about expectations and procedures for starting a new position. They tend to assume all these details will sort themselves out.

The other problem is that new teacher orientation is sometimes handled in a rather haphazard way. HR assumes you are in contact with your Admin (and thinks it's Admin's job anyway) and so ghosts you while they work on other stuff. Admin assumes you are in contact with HR and so operates likewise. IT rarely takes ANY initiative until they are directed, so they won't do anything in the way of access / logins until directed to do so by the district brass or Admin. Again, the district HR assumes your school Admin is managing this for you. Meanwhile, the P or AP who looks after orientation is kicking back on a beach somewhere assuming HR can give you whatever you need.

I remember in my second year of teaching I had to change schools. It was mid-August and I'd gotten zero response from anyone about the syllabus, textbooks to be used, or even confirmation of which courses I'd been assigned (I got a "tentative timetable" in June but was promptly warned "this will probably change" and then radio silence). When I arrived on campus with four days to go before the first class, the IT administrator refused to provide me with a login to the computer system because he hadn't been directed to do so by the P or the department head, neither of whom was in the building. When the department head arrived the next day (3 days before the start of classes), he seemed annoyed I hadn't come in during the summer to move my textbooks from storage into my classroom. I explained that I was not even assigned a classroom or a final timetable. He huffed and rolled his eyes and said, "Listen... next time, if you don't know something, just ASK." Ummmm... when you say, "just ASK," you mean besides the countless e-mails begging for details of my new assignment which went unanswered or the phone calls that were never returned?

In my opinion, keeping eager, newly-assigned (or newly-hired) teachers hanging just adds additional stress to an already stressful situation.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

soleil00

Basically yeah...
Old 07-23-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I mean, this is going into my 9th year of teaching so I know what to expect but I'm not joking when I tell yall, I have no idea what I'm teaching. I know it's 3rd grade, but that's it. I'm TESOL/ESL certified and during my interview it was hinted at teaching an ESL class, then I was told maybe reading, maybe a reading/ESL mix group... so I have no idea what I'm even teaching.

Oh well, as someone stated I'm just going to wait and hang out on my last few days of freedom. I'm done chasing them down.

Miss Binney

Old 07-23-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The last school I taught at, I was given access to the building and a key to my classroom about a week after I signed my contract, so the second week of June. The lead teacher for my grade level met me at the school, gave me my key and fob, and went over some basic things in my classroom. She had a crate packed with curriculum stuff for me to take home to start looking at. I was blown away by how overly prepared for me she was.

About a month later, I came to the school and received my computer and some basic IT training on the school's email system, shared drives, connecting to copiers, etc.

On my way home from this training, it occurred to me that I had yet to fill out a single piece of paperwork with HR. The only thing I had signed was a contract. They didn't even have my social security number, but I had access to the building and a brand new Macbook.

I wouldn't stress too much about these things just yet. I'm sure there is a system and plan in place, but it's still the summer. District employees who work year-round are often encouraged to take their vacation time during the summer when there is a lighter workflow. So, there might not be as many staff members available right now and new teachers probably aren't their priority.

Hang in there - this is just a small bump in the road!
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

soleil00

Update...
Old 07-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Yall have been so great with listening to me venting, so thought it would be good to update!

So I got a text this morning from my grade level group. I guess the P gave my number to the team lead and she started a group text. We can go in Monday morning (before 8am - gross hah) to work on our classrooms! I can only work when custodians are there because no one gets keys until August 6. Something is better than nothing and this definitely helps my stress levels to lower.

Tiny downside to this update - apparently a LOT of emails have gone out this past week to the staff and since I don't have access I've missed quite a bit of information. I did let the team lead know that so thankfully she is going to start texting me the information until IT gets my email set up.

Last edited by soleil00; 07-27-2019 at 06:08 PM..

Marcee

Typical
Old 07-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Unfortunately that is so typical. I work in a very large district, and it's unusual for new hires to have any access to their sites until the week before school starts. Usually they are cleaning, waxing floors, doing repairs, etc. and even returning teachers aren't allowed to go back! It's frustrating, because I know you want to get into the room and see what it's all about.

As far as the emails are concerned, unfortunately that is also the norm. Many teachers in our district are into the year by a week or so before they get the whole email thing sorted out. As for missing important emails, it sounds like the team leader is going to keep you informed, and that's what we do in the same situation. It will get worked out, but the IT dept is likely overwhelmed as well. As long as you get your first paycheck, you should be OK!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote