Help

BusyBoard

Word wall questions

>

NerdGirl

Word wall questions
Old 06-04-2020, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use personal word walls in their classrooms rather than traditional on-the-wall word walls? What does that look like in your class? How do you organize them (alphabetically, by unit, etc.) Also, as a secondary language arts teacher, should my word wall be content-based, test question vocabulary, or just overall good vocabulary words? I’d appreciate any information or advice. TIA.

NerdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a blend of it all. Unit-specific words. Testing words. Good vocabulary. Plus, the kids keep a list of words they’ve learned, too. We are 1:1 Chromebooks, so last year some kids started keeping their own lists online.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Mine is very specific.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had two "word walls" because of a combo class this year. So far, the same is projected for next year.

Both grades do a word study weekly. I generally use either a Greek and Latin root words study or an affix words study.

On Monday, the students choose the two most useful words from the previous week's list. They do this in their table teams, and then we do a tally and discuss for tie breakers if necessary. When choosing what is most useful, students consider words that have morphemes that help them with other words, value for writing tasks, subject-specific uses, or they sometimes choose a word because it's so new and unusual. Whatever their reasoning, this process gets them thinking about, evaluating, and considering words.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Word Walls
Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have done a few different things.
1. I did one big traditional word wall for everyone when I taught second grade.
2. I was moved to a much smaller space and so I used Manila folder word walls. I just wrote in the folder every word we we added and they hung on binder rings under my chalkboard for any student who needs the resource.
3. In junior high ELL, I had several rotating small groups, so I used index cards on binder rings, one set for a few letters (a-c on one ring, d-f on another, etc.) hanging from pushpins on a bulletin board.
4. I now teach class sections in junior high, so I have students keep a notebook dictionary. One page (front/back) per letter, and they add new words to it all the time. After that section is a root word section, Where we keep notes on the root words we study (one per week).
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdGirl

Old 06-25-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks, everyone! I have a lot to think about.

NerdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote