Help

The VENT

If I see another graduation parade. . .

>

sonoma

If I see another graduation parade. . .
Old 06-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our county is now allowing graduation parades. I am watering the yard and I have seen 6 go by in the last 15 minutes.

These are 5th grade graduations. 5th graders don't graduate - they go on to sixth grade.

These are not done by the school or the teachers because they understand that there is no such thing as 5th grade graduation. They are promoted just like every other grade from K-7.

It is the families with their cars decorated like the fourth of July driving up and down street. I really want to turn the hose on them.

I am sure it's the same families that complained on our neighborhood FB that Krispy Kreme and Chick Fila were not giving anything away to 5th graders to celebrate their graduation (like they did for real graduates).

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-07-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There were 3 in our neighborhood last weekend. Kids hanging out of sunroofs, parents honking. Itís fifth grade for heavens sake, itís your job to finish. Given what Iíve heard from some friends, many didnít deserve to pass. Apparently no one fails this semester.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Usually I would agree with you. Celebrations on the last day of school for 5th graders going to middle school? Fine. Graduation-style celebrations? No.

But this year I'm trying to remember that this has been a hard year for kids and an extra celebration really never hurts anyone.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

"parades" in reverse
Old 06-07-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We're doing a "come by the school, get your stuff" combined with promotion parade for sixth. sixth gets their own two hour block (not really enforceable). Other grades are combined. I have a combo class, so I have to be there for two different days. It's okay, though. We are a super small school, and the 4/5/6 teachers are going both days.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Me too
Old 06-07-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Although I think I’m in the minority in general, I think parades should not be happening. It’s so “extra” and at least for many students I can say based on my student participation during online learning, hardly any of them even deserve it. I say that even recognizing that home situations, access to resources, etc. do change by family...but I also feel our district did everything they could to make learning remotely possible for all students.

The neighbors had one for their ONE YEAR OLD’S birthday. She is ONE. She will not remember it or care. She sat in her high chair in the front yard looking confused.

This year was very hard and it was different, and kids deserve acknowledgement for working through it ... but I think we need to give them routine, normalcy to the extent possible, and rather than giving special treatment, we should be arming them with tools for coping with CHANGE, managing ANXIETY, and SKILLS for adapting to new situations.

At least here, I think that our woe is a lot more of a “first world problem” and it looks like we are only about those extras rather than valuing the family, resources, and freedoms (shakier lately in light of current events, but still there) we have that many countries do not.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 06-08-2020, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my district schools typically have mini "graduation ceremonies" for K and going to MS (minus cap and gown thank goodness). It is beyond an end of the year assembly. Most parents I know roll their eyes, but the school thinks it is important.

I'm not surprised that parents who agree with these "graduations" are providing something for their children when they can.

I'm with you when it comes to the idea of graduation at these levels. It means nothing. It isn't the culmination of required schooling.

But in my area, schools brought this behavior on themselves. It has been going on for decades so I don't know when or why it started. But the schools won't let it die. Maybe they see it as a way to ensure that the kids come for the last half day of school.

sonoma

pdxteacher
Old 06-08-2020, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They're not going to middle school. We are K-8.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We did a 5th grade promotion AND a kinder promotion parade. I personally don't think we should be doing either but I was in the minority.

On top of that, we had a supply pick up the next 2 days. We had a teacher (maybe more than one) who complained that if the 5th graders and Kinders got their supplies at the same time as they were promoted that it would take away from the promotion and not be fair. So kinder and 5th had to come AGAIN to pick up their supplies. As a parent, I would have been very bothered by that.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

Miss ESL
Old 06-08-2020, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

ď we should be arming them with tools for coping with CHANGE, managing ANXIETY, and SKILLS for adapting to new situations.Ē

Thank you!! I so much agree.

The past few decades we, as a society, have been robbing our youth of learning resiliency, and I believe that is why many young adults become so unglued when they hear, see, or experience something that is difficult or they donít like.
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Eh, why not?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Usually I would agree with you. Celebrations on the last day of school for 5th graders going to middle school? Fine. Graduation-style celebrations? No.

But this year I'm trying to remember that this has been a hard year for kids and an extra celebration really never hurts anyone.
I agree! We all need small, fun things to look forward to right now.

Getting out in fresh air and sunshine is important, and this is a safe way to be "social" right now. Even the decorating is artistic expression, which is also good stress relief.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with this too:

Quote:
ď we should be arming them with tools for coping with CHANGE, managing ANXIETY, and SKILLS for adapting to new situations.Ē

Thank you!! I so much agree.

The past few decades we, as a society, have been robbing our youth of learning resiliency, and I believe that is why many young adults become so unglued when they hear, see, or experience something that is difficult or they donít like.
...but I think part of teaching resiliency is showing kids how to make the most of whatever situation you're stuck in.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-08-2020, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sonoma what has me shaking my head is that yours arenít even going to s new school. I agree with everyone else but find it somewhat understandable/logical when theyíre at least promoted to a new school.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 06-08-2020, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with you! We don't have them here, but I would feel the same way. When they did a graduation celebration at our church a few years ago, they included the kids graduating from Kindergarten. To me, that takes away from the high school graduates.

I do know many are just looking for any excuse to get out and do something, so I think that's partly it, but I also think it's mostly because people have a hard time celebrating others without being selfish. I saw so many people posting their high school graduation pics from 30 years ago to "celebrate" this year's graduates, but I don't see where that celebrates them. Posting pictures of you with the current graduates (when they were little) or encouraging sayings would do it more.

Honestly, I'm glad ours didn't do any kind of graduation. Based on their Google Classroom participation, they didn't do the work to move on to 6th grade but our district didn't grade the last term so most kids didn't bother and parents didn't enforce anything. We're going to have a big mess in the fall.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote