Help

The VENT

Feeling Whiny

>

MissESL

Feeling Whiny
Old 07-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district is going back as “normal” with soooooooo many new rules and precautions, it sounds like a total mess. All that aside....

We are now required to have around a month of virtual lessons available at any time. So I’m trying to do this and it is so hard! I’m trying to move through my curriculum and plan for being IN SCHOOL...then also rejiggering the lessons to fit online learning. And I find I’m just at a loss...things I would do like dramatizations or presentations, I can’t do as students have to stay in their seats bell to bell. Then adapting it further for online only use.
I have five days for one grade (of two) level planned, not even recorded yet, and it took me three full days. I’m feeling extremely overwhelmed with this new aspect of my job, on top of being extremely anxious about returning to school in person.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 07-18-2020, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A month! Oh. My. Goodness. I would have to quit!

You have my sincerest sympathies.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds insane. What are others at your school saying? It sounds like this is not a reasonable amount of work or reasonable expectations. Is your union involved? It sounds like such a change to the normal that it would need to be negotiated.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

A Month?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A Month? That's crazy! You aren't even on contract now, I assume, which makes that even crazier! It's your summer!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Month
Old 07-18-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our union is trying, but not getting very far (see: going back to school as “normal”). The idea is that if we were to test positive or have to quarantine due to exposure, we’d have everything ready on the spot for remote learning, and so a sub can sit in our room and babysit while kids remote learn in person in our absence. I think it makes sense to be prepared, but it is sooooooo much extra work and that is not something we are being compensated for.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-18-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Personally I would have a free program like freckle or MobyMax so that students would log in and have preloads lessons, practice, and assessment built in. It is ridiculous to plan to have a month of activities ready to go. You would always be updating or changed due to what learning already occurred. I guess the outperform option would be a student project with expectations and videos to go along with the progress.

And no. I am not working on this on my days off. No one should be. Please stop. I am thinking about what kind of things I can do but I am not actually doing any work.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

I second kahluablast.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since you have no idea if or when it might happen, you have no idea where students will be instructionally.

Use canned, free programs. Some are really quite good. During the spring shutdown, I used CommonLit for both my grade levels (had a combo).

Our site gave us 4 subjects in MobyMax for this year, and our district uses Dreambox (not free). MobyMax has a free baseline. Prodigy has a free component. There are many others, too.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote