Help

BusyBoard

360 camera in the classroom

>

risky

360 camera in the classroom
Old 07-21-2020, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school district is being forced to teach with a 360 camera in the classroom to accommodate blended learning. This presents a very nerve racking situation for me. Privacy issues for student and teacher will be in full force. Not only that, but it is a 2.5 million dollar expense. This money could be better spent on computer updates for the classroom. I hope our union is able to block this but sincerely doubt it. Is any other district following the same approach?

risky is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Zoom all day
Old 07-21-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not that, but we will have a computer camera focused just on the front of the room where we will be delivering our lessons. Itís for the students that are home in lieu of doing extra online plans for them.

Not the same as being there, but it beats doing double plans.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-21-2020, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thankfully we donít have that. Kids are home three days and in-person two days. If they do full remote learning, they are not part of our classroom at all. They are doing the Edgenuity program.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Don't stress yet
Old 07-21-2020, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can see where you would be worried. I would definitely present your concerns and present solutions, but I wouldn't get too worked up right now. While I know the start of the school year will be here before we know it, with COVID, things are changing constantly. I don't put a lot of stock on any plan until I've lived in the school building with kids for at least a week. I just think with this being new to all of us and the situation constantly changing, things are going to change several times.

I would definitely ask about permission from parents. I know at our school, parents have to sign off on video taping. When COVID distance learning first started in the spring, I know there were posts on PT about people posting teacher videos on social media and using it to criticize/bully. I'd also bring up that concern.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our set up will be what Munchkins mentioned. We are using Teams for the students who chose the distance learning option. The good thing is that admin switched those students to the same homeroom, so my partner and I only have to do this for one section of our classes instead of all day.

prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would feel the exact same way. No way I'd want a camera in my room. For the kids, for me, for all of the private conversations I have with colleagues (because you know there will be a time you forget to turn it off!). No, just no.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Cameras
Old 07-21-2020, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We were offered Swivl, which follows you around the room as you teach, and allows kids to watch/attend virtually in real time. They said they would only buy it if we would use it, bc itís expensive and no one in our building felt comfortable with it, for many of the reasons you stated. Itís not worth it, and Iím glad they are giving us a choice - our contract does state that cameras may only be put in ďcommonĒ areas (halls and main office) unless a teacher specifically requests one in their classroom in writing. Thatís probably why itís a choice, but we are all glad it is!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote