Help

The VENT

Under the radar

>

elmo33

Under the radar
Old 07-22-2020, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just looking for advice on how to stay under the radar this year without looking unmotivated.... working with someone who is new who is so motivated and great I donít think I can compete, even though I have done a nice job..just coming off a rough year...

elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

under
Old 07-22-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

(((hugs))) My principal hired a 'super' teacher and hyped her to all the parents. I can feel your angst. Last year was a rough year for many. Take a deep breath, don't compete-just suck up her energy and be the teacher you want to be. Don't let her rob your joy>
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Under the radar
Old 07-22-2020, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You be you. Thatís it. If sheís a super teacher, let her be that. Doesnít ,Dan youíre less of a person or teacher, just different.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

My strategy too...
Old 07-22-2020, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I definately don't plan on doing anything noteworthy this year. Stick to the lesson. Keep it simple. Follow safety protocol. Minimize my stress. Survive. I feel like this makes me a bad teacher. I hope once my new school year starts and I get involved with the students that I'll be motivated to do a bit more. I think there will be many teachers under the radar with you!
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Flashy doesn't equal great.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sometimes these "super teachers," really aren't better than others. They are good at projecting a positive attitude or sparkly persona and are sometimes just good self-promoters.

It sounds like "Fake it until you make it" might be a good strategy. Just be positive and take whatever YOU want from her energy and strategies.

Don't compete! I have to tell myself often that comparison is the thief of joy. Each teacher is unique. I remember my mother talking about a sibling's kindergarten teacher. When she met with her for a conference, DM's initial impression wasn't a good one. DM said she looked "dumpy" and "messy." Then, they started talking, and DM knew why my sibling loved her so much. She focused on her students' needs and she made special accommodations for my sibling who could already read. My DM silently chastised herself for judging a book by its cover.

You are MORE than surface impressions!

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-22-2020, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

THIS!
Quote:
They are good at projecting a positive attitude or sparkly persona and are sometimes just good self-promoters.

We got a couple teachers transferred to our school this past year. Suddenly they were the leaders and presenting at staff meetings. (New P - I bet he knew them previously). At one of the trainings, in a small group, not in front of P, I questioned something and commented a different way that was better at assessing student work. It would initially be a little more work to set up. The reply from the leader: "I don't want to know exactly which questions they got wrong". . Super teacher? Not in my eyes!

Just smile, be yourself, and don't let the self-promoter get to you! You know you're a good teacher without bragging.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Super teacher
Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

PPs gave great advice, but I would also add that a way I look at it is "hey, can you show me how to do that?"

I don't have to play fake, but I am acknowledging their "greatness" and looking like a team player.

It can be something like a copy of of graphic organizer to how to do use an app or a link to resources from a conference they paid to attend.

That sometimes covers you if a P questions what you are doing, "Oh, Super Teach, gave that to me."
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

My Opinion
Old 07-22-2020, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Be yourself. Do what you do with the deviation you do it with...
Do not try to compete with anyone, but work with your own merit. I think the dog and pony show can get exhausting and it really isnít sustainable.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

It's a shame...
Old 07-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I hate that teaching these days has become a competition. Everyone has their own special and unique talents. Being untenured, a new person has to be motivated and look for ways to distinguish themselves or they won't survive.

That being said, definitely be yourself and teach your own way. Where you can, I would collaborate and plan together so there is consistency and parents feel that their children are getting similar experiences. Appearing to be a team player never hurts. You wouldn't do this for everything of course, but collaborating on some projects or lessons never hurts.

We had this situation in my school, too. When we had 5 sections, there was a buddy activity that my class was left out of. No one cared that my kids were shut out of the experience, but when there was a 6th section added the following year, one of the teachers felt compelled to add a third class to our group. I also had one teacher, who I considered a friend, partner up with the teacher at our grade level who got all the accolades, and I was never included. I also felt the principal bought into a lot of this because it brought her into the spotlight, never realizing that quieter, less flamboyant teachers bring a lot to the table, too.

I wish you a wonderful year!
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-22-2020, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've been on teams with that super teacher. Often times, they really are that amazing (though not always), however, I know I have my own specific teaching style and strengths. I may not have the dazzling classroom or lessons, but I have had many students who blossomed in my room because they needed calmness and a feeling of security more than a spectacular teaching style. I do very well with anxious/shy/quiet kids, and the parents of those kids realize it. NJteacher described it well! Don't sell yourself short.

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

sharpenpencil

Old 07-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Isn't it hard to feel positive after a rough year? I enjoyed reading all these great responses. I taught for years with someone who went over the top with bells and whistles. That was her style and I always felt lacking until some parents requested me because they thought all the fluff was too distracting. Everyone is different. Hold your head up - you made it through a rough year and that is not easy. You said you did a nice job - something that is not easy either. I think some people have a need to be noticed but I am not one of them and maybe you aren't either. As long as you feel that you are doing the best you can for your students, no one can ask for more than that. Try to relax while you can and do something nice for yourself - you deserve it
sharpenpencil is offline   Reply With Quote